Subscriber Discussion

Ultrasonic Bird / Pest Control Experiences?

Michael Gonzalez
Mar 14, 2017
Confidential

Has anyone used any of the ultrasonic pest control devices available? We've made significant investment in our security systems recently, but we're having issues w/ nuisance alarms being caused by wildlife.

Our video analytics aren't smart enough to discern wildlife from humans any some of our lower tier locations, and our perimeter intrusion systems keep going off when several birds land on our fences at the same time, and in the same area. We've made adjustments over time, but now I believe we're at a point where any further adjustments run the risk of the systems not detecting legitimate intrusions.

I found this product online

I've never used anything like this, so any insight you folks could give me would be very helpful. Thanks

MM
Michael Miller
Mar 14, 2017

Which analytics are you using that are having issues?

Michael Gonzalez
Mar 14, 2017
Confidential

I'm using VideoEdge servers with their enhanced analytics license. The cameras are FLIR FC-334s, as well as Axis Q1635Es. The onboard analytics on the FLIRs are also running at the same time. I needed to run both, as at long distances, there don't seem to be enough pixels on target to activate the VideoEdge alarms.

(2)
JE
Jim Elder
Mar 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Although i have no experience with this specific issue,  I have designed systems for a number of facilities were animal research was being conducted; as a result, there was a degree of design review that was far beyond the usual. During that time, I learned a few things that may be relevant to your problem.

I would check with local birder watcher clubs, universities and state  agriculture agencies to find out what kinds of birds are involved. Then find some experts and see what they say... specifically about the hearing frequency range of the offending birds. The device you found has a frequency range of 15Khz to 25 Khz (according to this site). The Human hearing range is 20hz to 20Khz, which means the frequency ranges cross each other from 15Khz to 20Khz. Not sure where the birds fit in here, but there is a good chance that it could be audible (irritatingly so) to some humans, particularly the younger folks. Couple of years back, the "pests" were kids that store owners did not want hanging around. Sound levels above 12Khz proved to keep them out; however,  the owner eventually was forced to remove the irritating noise makers.

If you're in the boondocks probably no big deal, but in a more populated area, it may be. Other unintentional consequences may be also be involved (such as deterring other species).    

(4)
Michael Gonzalez
Mar 15, 2017
Confidential

Thanks Jim, that's very helpful. The sites involved range from being in the middle of the city, to being in the middle of nowhere, so I'll have to find something that can be adjusted so I don't have to stock two different systems for maintenance.

Gerrie Swart
Mar 15, 2017

I have no experience with the ultrasonic bird control products, but there's something else that I can recommend. Have a look at Eagle Eye bird control. It is very successfuly being used on a wide variety of applications. It can work for your case as well.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 15, 2017

Have you tried placing dummy owls in the area? (Not trying to be funny, but owls are predatory birds and their presence may discourage other birds from visiting.) I think it's worth a try, and you might augment the electronic system with dummy owls. They're probably not that expensive so you wouldn't be out that much if they don't deter other birds.

(1)
(1)
LM
Luis Marrero
Mar 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

1 - I agree with undisclosed 1 Re: the Owls.

2 - I have seen the devices you mention used in Very Large Hangers and they seem to work well.  No first hand experience.

Luis Marrero

Chicago Communication Systems, Inc.

(1)
Michael Gonzalez
Mar 15, 2017
Confidential

Thanks for the suggestion on the owls. I did some research on that, and I spoke to a local ornithologist about the issue I'm having. He mentioned that dummy owls work in some areas, but they probably wouldn't be effective in Hawaii due to us having such a small population of predatory birds.

The pigeons and doves I'm trying to get rid of simply don't encounter owls often enough to fear them. He mentioned that it may work for a period of days, or even a week, but they would eventually figure out it isn't a threat and would return to roost in their favorite spots.

I think I'm going to evaluate both the Bird-X and Eagle Eye systems to measure their effectiveness. I like the Eagle Eye idea, as it seems less likely to disturb anything other than the birds.

I appreciate everyone's input on this, I'll post the results of my evaluation in case it would be useful to anyone else in the future.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 20, 2017
No experience with these as a security integrator (or employee of one), however I can say from my experience as a licensed Falconer that very often such countermeasures, whether they're ultrasonic or other noise-based, or using decoys (even moving ones) tend only to work *at first*, and then their effectiveness peters off as the animals realize there is no actual harm or danger involved, which is why many airports with bird problems tend to pay someone with a falcon or dogs to patrol the airfield during high-traffic times, or during certain seasons of the year, for example. The only thing I know of that I'd expect ultrasonics to be genuinely effective at controlling would be canines, though even they may put up with it for a good food source. The only *good* way to deal with the problem long term is either going to be to clear the vegetation the animals are using for cover/food/etc., or to nurture/encourage/relocate the appropriate natural predators to help keep prey populations nervous, and their numbers low. It's not going to keep all such nuisance alarms down to zero, and will take a little time to work, but will be much more effective in the long run, especially if used *SPARINGLY* with something like an air cannon. Ultrasonics, though, won't keep birds away all that long, and will make nearby dogs howl. Otherwise, the only other guaranteed solution is to simply slash and burn all vegetation and fill in or divert sources of clean or running water, all of which adds up to a blighted and unattractive landscape - probably undesirable for most anything other than military, high-security, or industrial installations. Also, ultrasonics *might* drive out some bugs... however they'll likely also drive away bats, meaning you could see a significant uptick in insect population if the ultrasonics are left on 24/7.
(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 20, 2017
Dummy owls will not work for very long, and are just a waste of yours and your customer's time and money. You'll be back out there to do something about it again before long. Animals are smarter than a lot of people think and capable of adaptation (they have to be, or they'd be extinct). They learn quickly there's no consequence to this thing shaped like a predator, and will ignore it before long.
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions