Subscriber Discussion

Can I Use A UBNT Link To A Flying Plane?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 27, 2017

Has anyone ever used antennas such as those from ubiquity to communicate an ip camera from an airplane back to the hanger? 

Distance is not an issue, the plane is generally not more than one mile away depending on wind speed and jump zones are up to 18,000ft. 

LOS is clear, unless using a directional antenna then it would be lost while on the ground or at low altitude.

UI
Feb 28, 2017

bump

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 28, 2017

I would think this would work but my concern is what you would do with the antenna on the plane. Making any modifications to the plane would be off limits so yea that would be a problem.  

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 28, 2017

Posting here just for updates on how this turns out.

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 02, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

LOL, there is a subscribe button for that purpose =)

Brian Rhodes
Feb 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I have never done this, but it seems very difficult.  Directionality and alignment is going to be very difficult to maintain.

It's hard enough to aim and follow a camera at a flying plane.  Is the gear on the airplane powered by onboard sources, or by batteries? 

UI
Feb 28, 2017

The company owner completed this in a DIY fashion using a 900mhz omni directional radio plugged into a cigaret outlet onboard. On the ground based receiver they used a disposable aluminum baking dish as a booster. 

She claimed it worked well at lower altitudes. 

Any long range omni directional radio converters that can make this happen?

I guess this application does not really need to be IP based, but would be helpful 

EP
Eddie Perry
Feb 28, 2017

in theory it "should" work with the right antenna on both ends.

Legally I am not so sure what you could get away with on an airplane as the FAA and the FCC/ local airport has strict guide lines on what frequencies you can use near an airport.

its the same reason you can not fly drones near airports without permission or contacting the airport. or  Broadcast FM stations around airports.

most of the time if you work with the airport they are totally cool with what you are trying to do.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Feb 28, 2017

You are probably best off just installing a 4G radio onboard and then using the public internet to route your video back to the hangar.

(1)
(1)
Scott Bradford
Feb 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

your issue is going to be aiming and also the vertical antenna spread.  A standard Omni directional wi fi antenna might have a 360 degree radiation pattern, but only about 15 degree vertical or horizontal one.  You'd basically have to have a yagi on a tripod with someone standing there moving it constantly 'tracking' the plane like a rifle.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Feb 28, 2017

This was the original concept the Southwest used for internet on their planes - radios scattered along flight paths all over the country.  Pretty expensive, and really weird deviations meant no WiFi. 

I would try to do a four radio mesh: On the ground looking up, on the ground looking at the runway, on the plane looking down, on the plane looking at the hanger from the loading area.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions