Subscriber Discussion

Ubiquiti Micro Video Camera Looks Interesting

JD
Jim Daly
Apr 21, 2015

Hi All,

just got a email about the new Ubiquiti Micro Video Camera and it looks good.

it is about €100 trade price.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 21, 2015
IPVM

It's neat, especially how they power it.

Here it is in Ethan's hand at ISC West, for a sense of scale:

Main limitations:

• Pretty sure, it is Ubiquiti VMS / NVR only, no 3rd party support so its either all Ubiquiti or nothing.
  • It is indoor only (despite the video showing it being mounted onto a brick wall).
Ethan Ace
Apr 21, 2015

It is indeed UBNT only, no ONVIF or RTSP from the camera. You can do RTSP streaming from the VMS (which they call retranslation), if it's really necessary, but I doubt users want to install one NVR just to stream to another NVR.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

...but I doubt users want to install one NVR just to stream to another NVR.

It seems theoretically possible to run a Windows VMS on COTS and Unifi Video for Windows on the same box and restream in situ. With no extra hardware/cost than the cameras and the COTS VMS. Maybe? (Assuming Unifi Video for Win is free.)

The website says $99 MSRP for the camera. What's the cheapest NVR one can get?

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Apr 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

It is indoor only (despite the video showing it being mounted onto a brick wall).

"trendy" brick wall to be exact, implying it is indoor :)

JW
Jason Wallace
Apr 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Yup. Looked like a wonderful little WiFi camera for discreet indoor use. The magnetic base that it swivels on provides power through built in contacts. Nicly designed, and ideal for indoor residential, or discreet business/office applications.

Alas, exactly as Ethan said, it only works with the Ubiquiti video ecosystem. No OnVif, RTSP, etc. Unless you want to install their NVR, so that the NVR will stream RTSP to another NVR. (sorry, I don't want your cute little camera that badly)

Ubiquiti is a strange company. Some really GREAT wireless products, and some real oddball products. (strange VoIP phones with no obvious supporting service... remote control outlets and switches that don't work with zwave, and a great 2.4GHz access point for well under $80... but if you want 5.8GHz, the price almost triples... and now a cute little camera that will see very limited sales due to them intentionally limiting any 3rd party support)

Oh well. As long as they keep making the M5 long range links, and their cool little Unifi APs and EdgeMax routers, I'll be happy with them.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions