Subscriber Discussion

Tyco Officially Becoming Johnson Controls

Armando Perez
May 25, 2017
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

From Tyco today... errr, I mean Johnson Controls.

The Letter

Personally, I see this as a bad move. They have no identity left within the security space.

_____

Dear valued customer,

Since our merger in September 2016, we’ve been working hard to bring together the best of Johnson Controls and Tyco. Now it’s time to make the most of our identity as Johnson Controls, the global leader in building products and technology, integrated solutions, energy storage and information-based retail solutions. In the coming months, we will begin transitioning the brand identity of our Tyco business unit, Tyco Security Products, to Johnson Controls. Our business category will become Security Products within Johnson Controls. The Tyco brand will be retained as a security technology brand within our product portfolio and will continue to play a vital role in our business. For our existing security product brands that help drive quality, excellence and innovation, there are no changes. Over time, you can expect to see the Johnson Controls brand on our business cards and email signatures as well as our exhibition and building signage. The same knowledgeable, experienced team that earned your trust as Tyco Security Products will continue to serve you as Johnson Controls. We still offer you decades of leadership in fire, security and retail solutions, in-depth understanding of codes, standards and applications, and proven expertise in delivering customized solutions to meet your needs and challenges. Our team is excited to build on each other’s strengths, combining insights to give you new ways to reach your goals; innovating faster to help your buildings or environment perform better; and integrating technologies and solutions to help you increase operational efficiency, protect people and assets, and drive growth. Our priority is and always will be to help you win everywhere, every day. If you have any questions, please contact your local Sales representative. Thank you again for your continued support of Johnson Controls. It’s a privilege to do business with you. Sincerely

(4)
JH
John Honovich
May 25, 2017
IPVM

Well, let's vote:

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 25, 2017

Can we have a third option, let each business unit stand on its own. AD as AD, Kantech as Kantech, and so on.

(3)
JH
John Honovich
May 25, 2017
IPVM

My understanding is that those 'sub' brands will remain but will be JCI Kantech or JCI Exacq, etc.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 25, 2017

I was thinking more like Chevy, Cadillac,Pontiac  keep the orginal platforms on the front line not the Money behind it.  But that's just how i feel.  Never liked either of the two we are voting on.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
May 25, 2017
IPVM

My gut feel is that Tyco's brand has been damaged over the years, both generally (e.g., their felon former CEO) and specifically to the security business (general bad will).

On the other hand, Johnson Controls is a mouthful but a blander one.

Thanks for sharing that letter!

(6)
Kyle Folger
May 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

When I think of Johnson Controls, I think of building controls (specifically HVAC controls). Whe you do a Google search, the first thing that comes up is their name and them being an HVAC company. When you go to their website, you see the same thing and then at the bottom you get footer links mentioning that they do security. I'm sure they plan on changing all of this through the transition, but they will have a lot of work to get the general public to think security when Johnson Controls is mentioned.

There is a local firm in our area that specializes in HVAC and controls. They also happen to do security cameras but they list Pelco as the only partner. I know on the automation side of HVAC controls you need to know technology but also have a working knowledge of how systems work. I've just never understood how that relates to security cameras and access controls. I think the control technology is interesting but have no interest in learning that much about it.

(2)
(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
May 25, 2017

After seeing all the changing ownership and segmenting of divisional names over the past decade, I have determined that the company that has benefited the most from all these TYCO ownership and name changes has to be the printing/media company that wraps their service vans.

(1)
(9)
Daniel S-T
Apr 04, 2018

In my area there are still Simplex Grinnell vans running around. Some just recently getting the "Tyco Integrated Security" badging from either ADT or Simplex before it, and now being changed to Johnson Controls. 

It's kinda funny, but sad thinking how much money is being wasted just changing the name.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
May 26, 2017

Tyco and Johnson Controls both have installing integration divisions that compete with independent companies who purchase their products.  

I'm reluctant as an independent integrator to purchase from my direct competitor.  

Tyco and Johnson Controls would be best served leaving their corporate names off their products and sticking with the Kantech/Exacq/SoftwareHouse etc brands that we all know

(6)
David Coughlin
May 30, 2017
Protection One / ADT

When I went to work for Johnson Controls as a Fire & Security Branch/General Manager, I was prepared for an environment where my division would be small compared to building controls. What I didn't realize is that fire, security and building controls is less than 40% of the company. JCI's automotive group (seats, consoles, batteries, etc.) is the largest part of JCI.

Past acquisitions/mergers provides strong indication of what will become of the Tyco branding. For example, York was acquired by JCI in 2005. It's been over a decade and, the York brand is still active. However, the immersion of the York organization into JCI was typical of large acquisitions...painful to employees and customers at certain levels.

Another acquisition by JCI was the CardKey in 1999. This may be more telling of what will become of products like Software House and Kantech. CardKey (a/ka/ P2000) is still supported but, its market presence and perception of quality and reliability has never been what CardKey once was.

Yet another case that may provide a glimpse into the future of how mega companies handle commercial security device manufacturers post acquisition is the Schnieder acquisition of Pelco. This acquisition can only be viewed as a failure...at least to this point.

Best,

David Coughlin, CPP

(1)
Chuck Janzer
May 30, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Many customers dislike the name Johnson Controls, Simplex, Tyco....   The bigger the company, the more the dislike.  Different contacts every time they call, different techs, wait times.....    By changing to Johnson Controls, it can only help those of us not affiliated with the name.  The customers that buy into the "big" company for global consistency, it will probably be no change. 

(1)
U
Undisclosed
May 30, 2017

...and it came from the Canadian office.  With a signature in English and French, of course.  Don't get me wrong, "quand le batiment va, tout va" totally sounds like a toast you'd hear in a Montreal biker bar full of trunkslammers.  So yeah I got the message the multinational building controls company has chosen to assimilate it's US-centric access control subsidiary into an unused back corner file cabinet drawer in a building in Ontario.  And I live in one of those quaint outlier countries where they have sales offices.

Look at the big logo on the business card, not the little logo.  Assimilation happens, that's what acquisitions are generally all about.   Wait for the Axis RSM's to start signing their email with canon.com addresses.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions