Subscriber Discussion

Two Different IP Addresses For Axis IP Camera

jc
james cordell
Jul 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hello,

I am setting up classroom environment for IP Camera Hybrid NVR. I have Aver Hybrid DVR, EH1000H-4.  I have an Axis Camera, M1054, which when I do a scan using the NVR setup software I get the IP address 169.254.125.105 for the Axis camera, the only camera attached to NVR via POE switch.  Yet when I run the IP setup utility I get 192.168.0.91, which is the IP address I set using the Axis software.  Ping works to both IP addresses.  How is this possible for the one camera to have two IP addresses.  When I try to connect to the IP address the Aver finds, 169.254.125.105 the connection fails.  When I manually input the IP address as 192.168.0.91 the Aver finds and connects to the camera.

If I haven't confused the heck out of you, and help is appreciated.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The 169.254.x.x is a temporary link-local address given to a DHCP-less networked device when it is plugged in.

The permanent/valid address the the one you assigned (192.168.x.x), and I am guessing the Aver is displaying the link-local one as a bug or something like that.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed
Jul 19, 2017

it's the "sucking air" address.  it's what you get when you ask for DHCP and nobody's home.  Some systems accidentally keep this address when switching to a static IP.  Check your DHCP servers and make sure things are not configured to ask for DHCP if you wanted a static address.

(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jul 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The 169.254.125.105 is a loopback address for the camera. It is not the address you use for the camera. The other address is the default IP that the camera comes with. You will typically change the 192 address to what ever static range you are using. Some newer NVR's will automatically assign an IP address to the camera via DHCP locally within the recorder. 

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I've seen this behavior with Axis cameras even when set with static IP's.  They send a layer 2 message from the 169.254.x.x interface when booting.  They may continue such messages even when fully booted.  

The Aver discovery seems to have picked up on this, which is understandable, but should replace it when it sees a 'real' IP for that cameras MAC.

Btw, this 169.254.x.x IP actually is a valid address for the camera that can be used; the reason it seems to fail is because the Aver is not on the 169.254 subnet.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 20, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Here is some light reading on the subject at hand...

(1)
(1)
jc
james cordell
Jul 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Jon,

Thank you, that turned out to be the case.  When I went back into the Axis setup utility the local link address was checked and that was the IP address assigned.  once I unchecked that and rebooted everything, the Aver found the correct IP address.

V/r

Kelly

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Kelly

James, is that your "link-local" name?  ;)

(1)
MM
Marcel Minotelli
Jul 31, 2017

James,

That is APIPA ip Address, probably your computer has APIPA ip Address too, that's why you can reach the camera with the 2 IP address.

All cameras axis came with factory settings with a APIPA ip, you can find it (and edit if you want) in the advanced configuration ->plain config ->network 

I hope that can help you.

(2)
jc
james cordell
Jul 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Marcel,

Thanks, did some research and your answer is right.  Axis calls this the local link address when DHCP isn't available.  Now the question is why are there two terms which both seem to be correct for the same thing.

V/r

Kelly

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions