Subscriber Discussion

TVI/CVI Encoders For Spectrum/Nx

John Bazyk
Sep 06, 2016
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Does anyone have any experience with using TVI or CVI encoders with Spectrum? I have a situation where I need to use two 16 channel encoders and don't want to waste my customer's money by installing standard analog encoders. 

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 06, 2016

Yes, I have the answer. Simply use Hikvision a DS-7216HGHI-SH and install analog/TVI cameras as desired.

Then you can add the cameras into Spectrum by the following command:

rtsp://IPADDRESS/h264/ch1/main/av_stream

do this for ch1 - ch16.

Make sure the video resolution on the DVR is set for 704*480 or LOWER. Otherwise the motion detect recording won't work on Spectrum.

This configuration will give you redundent recording (Local DVR and Spectrum IP).

Do NOT use any of the DWD VMaxFlex or similiar. They are not designed for Spectrum and I actually removed 30 units to implement the solution above.

Good luck!

(1)
PK
Patrick Kelly
Sep 06, 2016

John,

I understand your concern regarding wasting your clients money.

We do offer a standard definition analog encoder (DW-CP16), which can be used with our DW Spectrum Analog Encoder license (DW-SPCP04LSC004). For the cost of a single channel license, it will record 4 standard definition cameras. This license is included with the purchase of our DW-CP16 via our Double Down promotion. This provides an inexpensive way to get your clients existing analog cameras into DW Spectrum, while maintaining many of the features of DW Spectrum, like Smart Search.

Brian is correct the Vmax Flex was not designed to operate as an encoder; it simply offered viewing capabilities and would not be the recommended solution. Brian is also correct that his solution will give you redundant recording when DW Spectrum licenses are applied to each channel on the recording server but please note it only provides SD recording, similar to the CP16 solution. If redundant recording is desired I would suggest using the new back up capabilities in v2.5.

Our product development team is working on an encoder solution that includes AHD and TVI cameras and we look forward to sharing it with you when it’s ready.

If you need additional information or would like to discuss further I can be reached at 813-545-549 or patrick@digital-watchdog.com

Thanks,

Patrick Kelly

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Sep 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Go with HikVision NO LICENSE NEEDED

(1)
(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Sep 06, 2016

I haven't tested this with Nx Witness/DWG but the Hikvision DS-6716HQHI-SATA encoder works via ONVIF with Avigilon/Genetec. Might be worth testings. If I can get a demo copy of Nx Witness/DWG I can test inhouse and let know you if it works.

(1)
John Bazyk
Sep 06, 2016

Michael, if you've got some spare time check it out. http://digital-watchdog.com/DW_Spectrum/

PK
Patrick Kelly
Sep 06, 2016

Here is a link to the Software Tab- DW Spectrum IPVMS

Michael - the Full version includes a 4 camera / 30 day trail licence. If you need more let me know.

Marty - if you like the NO LICENSE NEEDED approach we have a great solution with the VMax IP Plus - DW® l VMAX IP Video Solutions. But this discussion is in regards to DW Spectrum

John Bazyk
Sep 06, 2016

We sell a lot of Hikvision including a lot of their recorders. But we also sell spectrum to people who want something a little more robust.

(1)
NE
Nathan Estrada
Jun 08, 2018

Hi John, Just checking in did you ever find a DVR that you could use as an encoder with Spectrum?

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 06, 2016

Doesn't say how many demo channels you get. I will need 16+ channels for the enoder.

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 07, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

You only get 4 IP licenses in a demo for 30 days. DW may be able to hook you up with more, but that is what is included with every installation. You only need a license if you are trying to record.

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 08, 2016

Sorry for the delay everyone. Patrick got me the required license keys I am just trying to find some free time to test this. I will report back soon.

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 09, 2016

Not having any luck getting the DS-6716HQHI-SATA to connect to Spectrum. Does not discover the unit and RSTP isn't working. I will try different firmware and see if that helps.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions