Turrets Vs Domes? Different? Pros And Cons?

JH
John Honovich
Jun 26, 2017
IPVM

Do you have a preference between 'turret' and 'dome' cameras?

Sample comparison images below:

For us, one consideration is whether we should list 'turrets' as a separate form factor from domes? The other is whether there is a fundamental difference between the two? Thoughts?

(1)
(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jun 26, 2017

I would consider them to be different form factors.  A Turret gives the customer "flat glass", so no "floating halo" or "white-out" from light reflecting back into the dome, due to the separation of lens and IRs.  

(10)
(2)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 26, 2017
IPVM

A Turret gives the customer "flat glass", so no "floating halo" or "white-out" from light reflecting back into the dome

But do all turrets have 'flat glass'?

For example, is this below not a turret even though it lacks 'flat glass'?

(1)
UM
Jun 26, 2017

That glass "should" be flat, I forgot about that style of Turret (red-faced).  I'm use to seeing the newer Dahua and HIK turrets that are so common, now.

Sean Nelson
Jun 27, 2017
Nelly's Security

the turret you show does have flat glass doesnt it?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 27, 2017
IPVM

Sorry, I was more referring to "so no "floating halo" or "white-out" from light reflecting back into the dome". The turret I showed has the old school ring of IR LEDs next to the lens like many domes.

Related, I don't see any evidence that 'flat' glass vs 'curved' domes causes any type of imaging quality differences save for the potential IR / reflection issues. Anyone here?

(2)
Sean Nelson
Jun 27, 2017
Nelly's Security

The thing with curved glass traditional vandal domes is that the IR is not "completely" seperated from the lens. All their is is a rubber gasket that seperates the lens from the IR's and that often times is not enough to cure the Infrared reflection issue. 

With turret like the one you showed and others have shown, is that the IR leds are completely seperated from the lens. The one you showed as an example has a ring that actually protrudes from the flat glass face, effectively completely seperating the IR's from the lens. 

(3)
(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jun 27, 2017

It also has a ring physically separating the IR from the lens, which can only be done out of solid materials using flat glass (I dont consider foam to be a solid material)

I see some differences in situations where there can be water runoff or storms.

UI
Jun 27, 2017

how is that glass not flat? Am I missing something in the perspective?

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 30, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

We call these an eyeball dome, not a turret.

MB
Matt Bischof
Jun 26, 2017

Picture quality & logevity: Turret

Professional appearance: Dome

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 26, 2017
IPVM

Picture quality & logevity: Turret

Why?

MB
Matt Bischof
Jun 26, 2017

Lens isolated from IR, so no IR interior reflectivity, nor long-term reflectivity issues down the road when the good ol bushing around the lens wears out and suddenly nighttime images are a blurry mess.

(7)
UM
Jun 27, 2017

Sir, 

does Hanwha offer turrets?  I ask only because I don't recall seeing them under current branding or Samsung branding.

Brandon Knutson
Jun 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I think another difference is Domes can have a vari-focal lens.

MB
Matt Bischof
Jun 26, 2017

They are plenty of turrets now, though, that have motorized zoom/focus... they're actually pretty fantastic.  All things considered, though, like eyeball cameras, I find turret cameras to appear a bit DIY.

(2)
Mike Rose
Jun 28, 2017

anything you can get in a dome you can get in a turret camera.  I have even seen a PTZ turret

JG
Jeff Gack
Jun 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I switched from domes to turrets a while back after getting frustrated with IR reflections and the fact that domes seem to get scratched and get dirty more.

I find the nighttime images from turrets much better.

I think they should be in a separate category.

I recently noticed that McDonalds is switching from domes to turrets at their drive thru windows after the domes getting scratched so badly from side view mirrors hitting them as people drive through. The turrets seem to be holding up better to the trucks mirrors.

(4)
(1)
MW
Mike Weymer
Jun 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Turrets handle the rain better. They also blend in better aesthetically.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 27, 2017

The biggest reason i recommend turret cameras over regular domes is that there is no chance of IR reflection being caused by the actual camera design. Of course external factors can still cause IR reflection problems but with the Turret cameras it does not matter if they are dirty, it rains or the seals get old there will still be no IR reflection.

On a regular dome if it rains IR will reflect off the water on the dome. It is impossible to stop this happening as far as i am aware. 

(1)
VG
Victor Gouanda
Jun 27, 2017

From my opinion, It's just manufacture naming & differentiation. Basically thy are both dome shape. Only turret form factor usually company by separated non-circular IR LED and full non-transparent ball.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jun 27, 2017

I prefer turrets to domes because domes exposed to weather and sun, especially when it's base is mounted to a side wall, turn yellow, get dirty, show water spots and scratches, and dome covers will need replacing after a few years. Turrets seem to stand up better in these conditions and have some degree of vandal protection.

Mike Rose
Jun 27, 2017

Different form factors 

1. Dome more discreet

2. Turret easier setup

3. Higher quality domes take care of the halo issue.

4. Trust the IK10 rating of a dome over that of turret 

5. Slight cost differential dome to turret 

6. Turret can actually give you a smaller form factor that works 

Ethan Ace
Jun 27, 2017

I think turrets today are regarded how bullets were 5+ years ago: as "what trunkslammers use." But as time goes on they're becoming more common and I'm betting it's only a matter of time until they're viewed as normal and just another form factor.

I personally think they're less ugly than domes. What's so attractive about a black shroud and a bunch of LEDs under glass?  

(2)
(1)
UI
Jun 27, 2017

I think so as well, with the exception being the new R2D2 looking turrets. I think those things are hideous.

UM
Jun 27, 2017

I always have thought they looked like a robotic owl, like from Clash of the Titans...

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Jun 28, 2017

The same shift of opinion happened when box cameras or unitized box cameras gave way to mini domes.  

I have no valid opinion as I do not use any brands that currently produce turrets, except Axis on the real low end.  I need varifocal for the scale of projects I am on to save engineering time versus working out whether a 3.6mm lens would be better than a 4.2mm across hundreds of cameras.  There does seem to be a consensus forming in this thread where I will take turrets more seriously, particularly as they become available.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #11
Jun 30, 2017
When I first started in the security industry one of the primary benefits of dome cameras that was pointed out to me was that dome cameras have the ability to obscure the direction they are facing while turrets/bullets do not.
(1)
Mark Rindy
Jun 30, 2017

Agreed, in many applications the 'directional disguise' is a small part of the effectiveness of a surveillance solution.

(1)
Mike Rose
Jun 27, 2017

Lower cost option

easy to install=lower cost option 

Greg M. Ray
Jun 27, 2017

I have moved to the turret. I like the form factor with improved Matrix IR for one it minimized over exposure in the middle of the image along with halo effect. Also In my experience the dome camera with IR requires more work for attaching cover, especially on a ladder it requires two hands.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jun 27, 2017

Been using the Northern versions of the Hikvision domes & turrets. A long time ago my Tri-Ed rep advised, and experience has confirmed, that the the IR coverage on the NTH turret is wider than on the NTH dome. Have also found that appropriate IR responsiveness is generally better out-of-the-box for the turret than the dome, making for more idiot-proof & quicker installations. Cannot speak to other brands though.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Jun 28, 2017

This is something we have been debating in our company for the past couple of months.  I'm not sold on the turrets yet.  We use a lot of Hikvision cameras and I have little to no issues with the IR flash back in the dome cameras.  However we used to sell and install a lot of IC Realtime and Digital Watchdog products and we had a lot of issues with the flashback in the domes.  I personally do not like the looks of the Turrets and I like having the option of all black dome cameras.  Not easy finding black Turrets.  I also do not like how they show where the camera is pointed and I don't feel that they are as vandal resistant as domes.

I saw that Clinton Electronics has a HD analog dome camera that has a separate housing for the IRs built in the dome.  Not sure if there are any IP cameras out there that have a similar design.  Clinton Electronics have been refusing to catch up with IP and I am sure they are a sinking ship.  I did see Digital Watchdog has a large new selection of IP Turrets.  Be interesting to see how they are priced with Digital Watchdog.  I love the Digital Watchdog IP Plus NVRs and Spectrum software and would love to start using their cameras again.

(2)
(1)
Sean Nelson
Jun 28, 2017
Nelly's Security

Black Turrets from Hikvision are available.

The IR shield by clinton is genius, not sure why all manufacturers dont do this.

(1)
(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 30, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Hikvision includes those little foam rings that serve the same purpose.

Dan Clinton
Aug 29, 2017

Far from a sinking ship!

U
Undisclosed #8
Jun 28, 2017

I performed a security assessment for a client who recently installed new turrets many of which were in public parking ramps stairwells. These cameras were probably around 7' AFF and as part of my assessment I went ahead and repositioned many of them into the walls and floors to make a point. If these are used they really need to be used smartly and be out of reach. 

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 30, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I have seen this as well, with any turret that has a plastic housing. However, the metal housing of the Hikvision units are almost impossible to move if installed well.

U
Undisclosed #9
Jun 28, 2017

Recessed domes are clean. I like it because it's clean.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #10
Jun 28, 2017

Domes:

1. Harder to install and setup, 3axis directions never perfect. fitting the cover with the rubber seal falling out (as previously mentioned on IPVM article) very annoying for people.

2. Scratches! few people take the effort to wipe the surface with the correct clothe. using your shirt will put micro scratches on the dome bubble causing IR reflections. A quality supplier will include a microfiber one in the box!

3. Domes themselves in general won't give you that perfect 180degree angle of position, due to the size of lens and the internal structures which never seem to be perfect. Bosh have some unusual shapes domes to overcome this issue, but the cost to produce the bobble part is very high.

4. IR distance must have some minor loss of effective IR distance through the polycarbonate, when you compare to these new Turret styles with equal IR LEDs. Also there is some minor image distortion depending on the zoom level due to the curve part of the dome.

5. After 6months in a Light Chamber to simulate the Sun on a dome bubble surface can and will effect a vast amount of domes turning them off color, and adversely effecting the picture. *WHY well some parts of the world domes are in sunlight for a long time, middle east a prime example. When if you every visit can see there are giant sunshields on many CCTV cameras at road junctions.

6. Cheaper domes may use a poor quality rubber spring loaded surround so lens does not get direct sunlight, however if after some time the lens needs to move you will find an internal mark on the dome bubble, left where the rubber was positioned.

Turrets:

Ugly, but simpler. Time = Money the feeling is the later wins the day.

Domes: when you buy quantity, be sure you have some spare bubbles for later RMAs.

$0.02 

(2)
Marco Sanchez
Jun 29, 2017

So not having experience with Turrets, are they able to be moved around and repositioned, unlike a dome?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Yes. The ones we worked with you could just walk up and reaim it with no tools, etc.

The primary reason we have not used them.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 30, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Turrets have better IR than domes, in all cases we have found, for comparable models.

Turrets also don't suffer from IR reflections, as domes do. Also, a dirty lens usually has less impact on IR performance on a turret.

Turrets usually have more adjust-ability than typical domes, I.E. they can be aimed higher, etc.

Turrets can be more impact resistant, if made with a metal housing and base.

However, IMO domes are more vandal resistant, because it is more difficult to move the view of a vandal dome vs a turret.

UM
Jul 03, 2017

I don't know how a turrent can be more impact resistant with a  flat surface, same applies principles applies to bullets.  Typically it's IK5 or IK6 with we hope vandal domes are mostly at part rated for IK10.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 03, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Because the size of the impact area is 1/10 or less on a turret style dome. 

UM
Jul 03, 2017

So same applies to pinhole camera then. pretty vandal resistant?. Or do you just poke the lens with a Nail. 

The face I like to know is does anyone have a Turrent with a IK10 rating?

Because tenders for some CCTV use all these terms like must be IK10 a turrent AFAIK does not.

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Very interesting. I always thought of turrets as DIY and cheap looking.

Does anyone make a turret that locks in place with a set screw? I know it will not be as good as a dome, but it's usually teens who just want to be mischievous, not a planned criminal act. 

Our primary concern is people re aiming the camera. Sometimes they get mounted on a single story structure eave like a leasing office, pool house etc.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 03, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

The Hikvision models we have used did in fact have a metal housing and a lock ring with a screw. Some of the Dahua models we tried were plastic housings and could not be locked in place. The Dahua style gives the form factor a bad name. 

(2)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Well thats disappointing.We use Dahua. I know we could use Hik cameras on Dahua recorders but.... ugh

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 04, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

It looks like Dahua now has some metallic housing models. Check out the N42AH3Z. I haven't used one, but it looks like a set screw on the front to lock it in. 

UI
Jul 04, 2017

Dahua makes a plastic base one that is OEMd for Honeywell, but they also make aluminum base ones. Unfortunately, they seem to view the lock screen as a non critical feature and it may or may not be present depending on when it was put together.

Mark Jones
Jul 03, 2017

If for no other reason than clarity, I would keep them as separate form factors.  From observation, most manufacturers have the same 3 form factors: Dome, Bullet and Turret with some odds and ends thrown in.  My 2 cents.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions