Subscriber Discussion

Which Home Automation System To Standardize On?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 14, 2018

I am trying to decide on which home automation system I should standardize on. I am looking for one that will give the best experience to the end user, but at the same time give the biggest bang for the buck. 

I have narrowed it down to:

• Crestron - expensive but has a nice interface
  • Control 4 - a bit cheaper than the above, has a nice interface, easy for end user to use, but a lot of others are using it and it will be hard to stand out
  • Savant - also nice but more limited options 
  • CQC - Not pre-built, but much cheaper and more flexible than the other options, but not backed by one company but can interact with a lot of other brands 
  • Smart Things - Too consumerish 

Thank you 

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
May 15, 2018

I just went through this for my own home during  a remodel, and the answer for me is HomeSeer HS3, without question. Feel free to ask questions and I can answer as needed. 

I am not affiliated with HomeSeer in any way.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
May 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Just for clarity, you're looking to resell to end users, correct?

I think your rundown is pretty accurate, but at the reseller/installer level, the biggest competition has to be DIY like SmartThings/Iris/Wink/Alexa/ADT at BestBuy/etc.  That isn't too appealing from a pricing standpoint.

For high end residential, Creston and Control4 have had a strong brand and good reputation, but as you mention the dealer channels are full.

Is your primary market going to be residential?  Do you sell an intrusion line too?

(1)
Dave Arnould
May 15, 2018

Home Assistant is a great open source Home automation system that you can install on a Raspberry PI. i just received my home security system called Konnected.io and it has great integration into Home Assistant and Smart Things. Only took an hour to install and configure all of my existing security cabling in the house.

(3)
MM
Michael Miller
May 15, 2018

Elan Home Systems is another on to add to your list. 

(3)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #3
May 15, 2018

What class of consumer are you looking to sell to? The stuff you put into tract homes and suburban McMansions is not the same thing you use for custom homes and high-end work.

A few things that will tend to differentiate the two classes:

McMansion-type jobs will not want to pay you for ongoing changes/updates/tweaks. You need to find something for them that is user-friendly on the configuration side.

Conversely, the high-end homeowners will tend to want you "on call" to make ongoing changes. It is a good revenue stream, but can be annoying at times when you get a call on a Sunday "We got a new DVD player and now my wife says the button that opens the curtains no longer works. We have 50 guests coming over for a dinner party in 2 hours and if she can't open the drapes the whole event will be ruined. Please come fix this ASAP". When you get there, the drapes will have started working again, the DVD player will still be in the box, but the multi-zone audio system will have reverted to French for the user interface. I am only slightly exaggerating.

For larger jobs you need something that has strong support for home theater/AV equipment, HVAC equipment (like 3-stage heating or cooling systems), pool automation, motorized drapes and doors, elevators, and burglar alarms/surveillance equipment. Also, it needs to support a variety of dedicated touch screen interfaces, mobile platforms, and ANYTHING that is visible in living areas needs to come in at least a dozen finishes and/or have paintable bezels that can withstand automotive-style painting/heat curing, not slapping some latex paint on it. Touchscreen layouts need to be highly customizable to rooms/zones/areas, displaying and hiding things accordingly.

For the McMansions, you need something that has a really good iPad or Android client, because they are less likely to spring for Crestron-level interfaces. The client needs to be customizable, but you can generally get by with a few "mode" interfaces (TV mode interface, lights, pool controls, etc.).

In the large jobs, lighting is likely to be controlled by commercial-style systems (Lutron, etc.), and of course you need tight 2-way integration there.  Smaller systems will generally relay on powerline control or short-range wireless for all lighting control (Insteon, Zwave, etc).

The high-end stuff is also more likely to need the ability to support multiple properties, with modes/macros like "Going to Ski House", which turns back HVAC in the main house, and pre-heats the Ski House at the appropriate time, based on average travel time. Many of the consumer-level systems have no concept of there being multiple houses or properties, which can make interfacing two separate systems difficult.

Control4 is probably a good middle ground to start with. I would worry less about how you compete on the product side, because these systems will tend to be more bespoke than the average surveillance job, so you are selling yourself/your company, and your ability to customize things and make the system work for the homeowner. You may find your local market taking you more in one direction or the other, and can potentially choose an alternative platform later when you get a better feel for the kind of jobs you will likely be doing.

If you anticipate doing more mainstream and McMansion-level work, then I would check out Qolsys first.

(2)
(10)
(4)
MM
Michael Miller
May 15, 2018

Conversely, the high-end homeowners will tend to want you "on call" to make ongoing changes. It is a good revenue stream, but can be annoying at times when you get a call on a Sunday "We got a new DVD player and now my wife says the button that opens the curtains no longer works. We have 50 guests coming over for a dinner party in 2 hours and if she can't open the drapes the whole event will be ruined. Please come fix this ASAP". When you get there, the drapes will have started working again, the DVD player will still be in the box, but the multi-zone audio system will have reverted to French for the user interface. I am only slightly exaggerating.

This is so true.  When I used to do A/V work we would ALWAYS get a call on a Friday about something not working and the customer has a huge party Friday night.    

(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
May 15, 2018

I used to enjoy those customers not wanting to pay for the call, because they didn’t do anything (like having window washers remove the drapes and alarm screens) but tossing a $200,000.00+ children’s party the next day. 

Not all, just some. 

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #9
Oct 08, 2018

I think a separate article or post of these kinds of situations would be beneficial to those installers who've encountered this type of customer.  

I primarily install security systems, but expanded my scope of business to include video, home theater, home audio, network and closely related low voltage applications.  One installation comes to mind, where the homeowner's vacation home uses DirecTV because the local cable provider had no infrastructure in his rural area, which is in vineyard country with high end homes.  I installed the TVs, Denon tuners, network SMC's and unmanaged switches, security system, and Sonos Connect Amps.  DirecTV installers installed the dish, the DVR, Wifi boxes, power supplies, etc, and programmed their system. This customer uses this vacation home on the weekends only. 

Whenever the customer loses the picture on the TV, the customer immediately calls me on my cell.  I usually ask the customer if they've checked with DirecTV and the customer replies, invariably, no.  I politely remind the customer that DirecTV installed their system, and that it's quite possible DirecTV may be experiencing some issue which may have nothing to do with the customer's equipment.  I ask the customer to check the other TVs for service and the answer is, invariably, "those do not work either."  The customer must have been watching something important to them and suddenly lost the picture, now there's hell to pay and he has my phone number. 

These types of customers prefer to call someone like me for immediate hand holding, or to express frustration, because they know they won't stand a chance if they call a big company with layers of people who run interference for each other and phone tree options that will only aggravate them, only to be told that they'll make a service tag for next Tuesday.  Or, maybe they expect me to call DirecTV to run down the problem for them, on my time.  And, while on hold with DirecTV the customer's TV service is restored but I wouldn't know that because the customer is back to his program and does not bother to call me to let me know. 

Regardless of the systems having trouble, my advice to people with these kinds of customers is, always be polite, listen to them carefully, suggest they do a few simple basic things like turn the TV off and back on, or disarm their system a second time, or open and close all windows, or power cycle their modem, and if all that fails, quote a price for a truck roll while you have them on the phone.

(3)
(1)
CK
Carl Kristoffersen
May 15, 2018

I've used Homeseer a few times and like it.  It's would be the hub of the system.  They offer basic to elaborate hardware devices or software for Raspberry Pi or PC.  They can do almost any protocol with some being preinstalled and some come as a plug in.  Plug-ins are also available for many devices such as A/V receivers, thermostats, etc. What I really like is that the phone/tablet apps are fully customizable.  You can design your own buttons and even the layout. 

(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
May 15, 2018

Off subject but,

looking for overlay over HDMI (as small window)

for example display sec cameras or weather or home automation events?

U
Undisclosed #3
May 15, 2018

I have not tried it, but something like this might do what you want (and is cheap):

HDMI Switcher w/PIP

U
Undisclosed #4
May 15, 2018

Thank you for link,

but customer wants overlay

MM
Michael Miller
May 16, 2018

No idea if this works as I have not tested it but it looks like what you are looking for. 

One of the most unique features of Arden is the ability to display live security camera streams on top of whatever you are watching. Due to the fact that it can integrate with external devices like cable boxes and Bluray players, Arden is able to overlay live camera footage regardless of the activity active on the monitor. This makes Arden the most advance intruder video detection system on the market. 

Jetson - Arden

U
Undisclosed #4
May 16, 2018

Thank you 

i found them too

just now

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #8
Oct 08, 2018

Good luck with them.  I started discussion with them in March of this year to purchase a unit.  It is October and they wont return calls or emails.  Another colleague of mine, has had the same experience.  A bunch of broken and empty promises.  From what I can tell, they are using a Zidoo X9S as the "backbone" and have altered the HDMIin app that comes on the box.  They also appear to be using Amazon Alexa skills to cause the overlay to pop up into the HDMIin app.  The Zidoo box has an HDMI in and out (I have purchased a Zidoo X9S, but have not "cracked the code" to how they trigger the multiple popups), which they appear to have hacked/mod'd to create the multiple overlays.  Good luck getting Burrick and company to pony up a box!

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
May 16, 2018
Have had good luck for over 10 years with ELAN and it's original HomeLogic as home control of pool/spa, HVAC, security, lighting, shades, entertainment. My customers want a near "permanent fixture" with years long MTBF and "no changes" year to year is a big plus (Elan does not "push" updates; if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Heard this week C4 has 11,700 3rd party drivers. WoW! Elan, not so much.... but I only need 10 drivers that really work and do not break, a.k.a. "permanent fixture". Very fast & consistent user interface; robust remote service/configuration as needed. For cameras it is worth noting Elan IP cameras/NVR offers camera "live view/playback view/event log-playback" access natively in the Elan touch screen/app. Was told other solutions require opening 3rd party apps to drill down to event recordings.
(2)
GR
George Redpath
May 17, 2018

Without doubt I would recommend Loxone. It has the necessary interfaces, easily extensible and a drag and drop programming interface.

It is from Austria. I have used it for a number of projects. Very nice wireless switches and AV interfaces.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #7
May 17, 2018

You want a standard that makes it easy not only to impress your customers but to push work through your shop.  Control4 and Elan are best bets for this.

(1)
Christopher Freeman
Oct 07, 2018

Open Platform

Non Proprietary so as not to be controlled by the company

U
Undisclosed #7
Oct 08, 2018

Would be nice.  Let us know when you have a viable candidate.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions