Subscriber Discussion

Trump Worried About Jobs In China?

Jon Dillabaugh
May 13, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

“President Xi of China, and I, are working together to give massive Chinese phone company, ZTE, a way to get back into business, fast,” the president wrote on Twitter. “Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!”

Trump says he'll help Chinese company that violated U.S. sanctions

Those of you that were hoping that Trump would ban or restrict Hikvision should abandon all hope now. If ZTE can get his full support, why not Hikvision?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
May 13, 2018
IPVM

If ZTE can get his full support, why not Hikvision?

ZTE is not getting 'his full support'. There's a lot of debate about what this tweet means, and it won't be clear for some time, but ZTE is a company that is on the verge of collapse entirely due to the US government's actions, i.e., ZTE is on life support after US ban.

As you may have noticed, we have avoided covering the ZTE issue, unless it directly impacts video surveillance companies (the stock note we posted). You are free to post a discussion on this but tying Trump's tweet on ZTE to Hikvision is speculative, at best.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 13, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

If Hikvision is owned by the Chinese gov, and Xi is the leader of that gov, and Trump has plead allegiance to Xi, why wouldn’t that lead one to believe that if the US sanctioned Hikvision, that Xi would ask Trump to back off?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
May 13, 2018
IPVM

Trump has plead allegiance to Xi

Where did you get that Trump has pled allegiance to Xi?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
May 14, 2018
(1)
U
Undisclosed #5
May 16, 2018

Allegiance is pledged - not plead or pled.

(1)
(2)
(1)
AB
Alexander Bakke
May 14, 2018

I'm not too much into U.S. politics, but can someone explain what the point is of applying sanctions if you not commiting to them? Isn't the whole point of this to make it hurt for the party subject to the sanctions?

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #2
May 14, 2018

The whole explanation of "we are doing this because poor ZTE lost too many jobs" is clearly a public relations spin on the truth.  The president flexed his muscle and got ZTE banned as a power play (in my opinion) and one of two things resulted from this.  Either the chinese figured out that he was serious and offered some big backroom concessions to get this repealed or they came back with an even bigger threat to the US economy to get him to back down.  Trying to figure out the truth when governments make deals like this is just impossible.

(2)
(1)
(1)
Sean Nelson
May 14, 2018
Nelly's Security

If this happens, there will be some sort of counter balance of this that benefits the USA. 

U
Undisclosed #3
May 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

If this happens, there will be some sort of counter balance of this that benefits the USA.

Like cheaper Chinese phones for everyone...

U
Undisclosed #4
May 14, 2018

Sounds like an anti-Trumper grasping at straws.  

(1)
(3)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions