Subscriber Discussion

Trick For MJPEG Or H.264 To Think Its MPEG4

Tony Darland
Oct 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'm installing a spare Pelco DX8100 to replace a Pelco DX4700 that gave up the ghost. The 8100 is only a temporary fix as we are getting an Lenel NVR eventually. The system consist of analog fixed cameras, and two Pelco IMP219-1ER IP cameras.

The DX8100 can accept IP cameras and record their streams, but it only accepts MJPEG or MPEG4 camera streams. The IMP219-1ER only streams in MJPEG and H.264. I know I can obviously use the MJPEG stream to record into the DX8100, but is there a way to "trick" the DX8100 into accepting the H.264 stream and record it?

I also know the camera takes SD cards, which I'll probably end up doing, but I'm interested in recording in H.264 if possible.  

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 10, 2016

Is there maybe a firmware / software update for the 8100 available? They're long in the tooth but I have to imagine they supported H.264 at some pount.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Oct 11, 2016

It is very unlikely you could trick an NVR to accept h.264 if it wasn't specifically written for it. The client wouldn't be able to display the video without h.264 decoders, and the server would need an implementation of a protocol such as h.264 over rtp in order to accept the stream from the cameras. These are in no way the same as the equivalent mjpeg/mpeg4 protocols.

In theory you could run an h.264 decoder and then re-encode it as mpeg4 before sending it to the NVR, but as UI1 said I think your best chance is to look at software updates.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions