Subscriber Discussion

Trendnet TV-VS1P Single Channel Encoder

AD
Alan Dodds
Jun 14, 2015

Hi Everyone.

I purchased a Trendnet TV-VS1P to test with a standard NVR and have not been successful so far at making this work even though a reviewer (link above) said it took him less than 10 minutes to get a similar set up going. I have no problem connecting to the Trendnet via the web interface but that's it.

Has anybody had any success with this product to connect the occasional analog specialty camera to an NVR (or VMS)?

Thanks for the help.

Alan

JH
John Honovich
Jun 14, 2015
IPVM

Alan, what specific NVR do you want to connect it to? It's entirely feasible for it to work / connect to some NVRs but not others.

Does you NVR list support for this Trendnet encoder specifically? If not, have you tried connecting via RTSP?

Their product page is not even claiming ONVIF, so that it likely out.

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Jun 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

The streaming address is rtsp://<ipaddress>/h264

Is that how you tried to connect it?
FWIW, I've had a couple of their cameras but never had any luck making them work with a real VMS. Milestone, doesn't list support for them at all.
AD
Alan Dodds
Jun 15, 2015

Well, I'm using a Dahua rebranded NVR for a small entrance/exit gate project with a couple of analog LPC cameras. It happens to be a Honeywell product but very similar to IC Realtime. When you try to connect to a camera there is an ONVIF profile that work with most cameras. I've tried to use that for RTSP connection but no luck. It seems like I should be able to connect. I may end up calling both companies tomorrow to see if they can help. My experience with their tech support has not been great so far though.

To connect to a camera there is a drop down menu with brands and generic options like ONVIF, etc. The RTSP port number used for the device is the same as the ONVIF default port. I've matched all the values and numbers I could input.

TC
Jun 15, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Have you tried using VLC or QuickTime to connect the the RTSP stream directly?

Even if it fails it will typically give better diagnostic information than an NVR into what the problem may be.

Also, using Wireshark on a PC while running the Trendnet viewer should let you see the URI directly.

AD
Alan Dodds
Jun 15, 2015

On a parallel topic, I did get this product to work: Grandstream GXV3504

Too early to tell how it will fare over time, so I'll be testing it for a while.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 15, 2015
IPVM

Alan, if you can get the Grandstream 4 port encoder to work, any change you can switch to the Grandstream 1 port encoder instead of the Trendnet?

AD
Alan Dodds
Jun 15, 2015

Of course. I can't help to think there must be a way to make it work so I might still play with the Trendnet piece a bit.

The odd issue on the Grandview piece is that while the main streams might appear on say camera 1 and camera 2, the secondary stream which is typically used for mobile device viewing (lower bandwidth) appear on camera 2 and 3!...

Something else to check on.

SB
Steven Bowers
Jun 17, 2015

Yes, I bought a "Trendnet Single Channel Analog to IP Video Encoder TV-VS1" (I believe the "P" just means PoE) trying to save money. I read on Amazon that someone said that they were able to get it going with a VMS, but I was not able to get it to work with Milestone's XProtect GO. I put quite a few hours in and finally gave up. I bought an Axis P7214 Video Encoder and was up in minutes (worth the money after all of the time I wasted trying to get the Trendnet Encoder working).

Off topic - I am now struggling to get the Milestone mobile to work and having problems. (I am sure that it is probably me putting the wrong settings in the VMS mobile server.) I also do not have a fixed DSL IP address and this may also be causing problems. I plan to try using my smart phone to view the cameras behind my router firewall and expand from there the next time I have some time to work with the system again. I would like to be able to setup this type of system for users that think they will never need anything complicated. I believe that once they learn the system and start using the capabilities, they will finally break loose with the money to upgrade.

Brian Rhodes
Jun 17, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Hello Steven:

We'll break your issue out to a seperate topic to get better answers:

"I am now struggling to get the Milestone mobile to work and having problems. (I am sure that it is probably me putting the wrong settings in the VMS mobile server.) I also do not have a fixed DSL IP address and this may also be causing problems. I plan to try using my smart phone to view the cameras behind my router firewall and expand from there the next time I have some time to work with the system again. "

I have a couple of questions to help situate your question:

"I plan to try using my smart phone to view the cameras behind my router firewall"

Does this mean you a trying to view the cameras using WiFi on the same network as the VMS server? Or does it mean you are using cell service to access the server?

"I also do not have a fixed DSL IP address and this may also be causing problems"

This is could be an issue, but everything should work at least temporarily until the lease is renewed on the IP address by the ISP. (Assuming your router is configured properly too.)

Can you describe your system more? Which version of XProtect Mobile are you running?

SB
Steven Bowers
Jun 17, 2015

Brian,

I downloaded the cell phone version 2.7b from the Google Play Store and was trying to use that over my home WiFi. The Milestone XProtect side of the "integrated Mobile server" is very recent (downloaded it within the last 30 days). I next even downloaded the separate Mobile server (that goes on the home server) and installed that application and it looks like an earlier version after it finished installing. I will probably have to uninstall and reinstall the XProtect and the separate Mobile server applications so that my VMS will be back to the original configuration. The application on the smart works fine with the Milestone servers (that is the installed demo in the smart phone application).

Brian, thanks for any help that you can provide. I am learning the Milestone VMS at home (getting ready to go out the door now) and at work it looks like we will be on an Axis/Avigilon migration path as we move away from our analog camera systems for the plant. It looks like I will have plenty of hands experience on the Avigilon hardware in the coming months.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 18, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I can almost guarantee that if the Trendnet product isn't ONVIF conformant, then getting it to work with a Dahua based NVR isn't going to work. There is no chance that Dahua will add direct integration for Trendnet. They do, however, have direct integration with a short list of other camera manufacturers.

Dahua, Arecont Vision, AXIS, Bosch, Brickcom, Canon, CP Plus, Dynacolor, Honeywell, Panasonic, Pelco, Samsung, Sanyo, Sony, Videosec, Vivotek

TC
Jun 18, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Not even just the rtsp feed?

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 19, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I don't see how I could add that without ONVIF support...?

TC
Jun 19, 2015
IPVMU Certified

You can't down arrow after ONVIF?

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 19, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

Not on the models I have access to. I tried on a Hybrid DVR/NVR and also a 16ch NVR. Neither allowed general.

TC
Jun 19, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I'll check my nvr, that screen shot came from ie.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 19, 2015
IPVM

"how I could add that without ONVIF support"

As a general point, ONVIF requires RTSP, but RTSP does not require ONVIF.

AD
Alan Dodds
Jun 19, 2015

Why Trendnet did not support ONVIF is puzzling. I did want to give it a try based on a review on B&H Photo stating it took very little time for the reviewer to make it work with his NVR.

it seems like there should be a way. I haven't called Trendnet support yet and an Internet search is surprisingly lacking on the subject.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions