Subscriber Discussion

Tracking Trucks Via Camera/Lpr... And/Or QR Codes?

RH
Robert Henriksen
Aug 17, 2016

I have an inquiry from a sales lead about tracking the number of trucks leaving a sand pit w. loads (of sand). They might have 100 trucks/day picking up loads, and a rotating cast of independent drivers/trucks that are engaged by the facility's one primary customer. 

The facility owner (my potential client), wants to have some automated means of generating a monthly report of the total number of truck loads leaving the facility. They'll be getting a report of loads from a customer or contractor but want to be able to compare that with their own internally generated tally. If there's a discrepancy, then they'd go back through the video logs to try and determine the cause of the discrepancy. They project this pit will be in operation for ~10 years, and don't want to have to pay a guard to stand out there and count trucks. Perhaps they're also concerned about the guard being bribed or somesuch to boot. 

Apparently one existing method (besides LPR camera/software) is to slap a QR code on each truck, and have some reader system detect it & log that truck in a database. This isn't an area I have any familiarity with; can anyone offer any experiences with QR codes & the associated software, versus the LPR approach? 

TIA,

Robert Henriksen

MC
Marty Calhoun
Aug 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Not the best idea as these vehicles get nasty and cover stickers up. Have you attempted any of the Video analytics available?

RH
Robert Henriksen
Aug 17, 2016

Good point about the stickers being obscured. I haven't done much w. analytics yet; I know there are people counters, but haven't heard of vehicle counters.

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 17, 2016

I have no experience with ISS but they have something like what you are looking for.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 17, 2016

One way would be to use a simple access control system with long range rfid readers and window mounted hid sticker tags on each truck.

That should give you the audit trail and a simple way to run reports.

Sagy Amit
Aug 18, 2016

Hi Robert,

My company, www.htsol.com offers a turn key solution for your application. In similar to the video posted above, utilizing an LPR camera at each exit lane from the sand pit, every truck will be scanned with license plate number and any other available identifying serial number as a secondary option. also available is an overview camera that will associate the identifier with an image of the truck making sure it is properly covered, filled to the top, or any other visual detail of interest.

The software will provide your customer with useful data beyond the monthly report of the total number of truck loads leaving the facility, such as average time between loads, time at the pit, time between entry/exit of facility. In addition since there is a single client, the option of adding a networked lane at the offload site will provide time on the road, and ensure the truck arrives as full as it left the pit.

The data can also be integrated with a scale input to make sure the weight of the trucks leaving the pit is equal to the weight arrived at the customer minus fuel.

Feel free to reach out to me with any question.

Sagy

sagy.amit@htsol.com

917-6676616

(2)
Scott Bradford
Aug 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

You could use Nedap Transit Ultimate long range readers. Basically super powered RFID.. over 30 foot range. Put a tag on each truck, then connect the reader to S2 or other access control system via Weigand and use that to generate reports.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 19, 2016

thanks for quoting me..

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions