Subscriber Discussion

Tornado Room Entry

JS
John Saunders
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I've run into a small access control issue and would be curious about solutions. At a site we are building there is a designated "Tornado Refuge" room, which must allow entry (much like a fire exit). The problem is that the room is also a secondary server room (don't ask - I didn't design it ...) and therefore I need to keep it secure. Door opens inward to the room. One option is a panic bar with a delay, much like, again, a fire exit door might be programmed. Client isn't fussy about that. They also say that for various reasons they cannot put a lever on it that would simply unlock when required by condition. Any other cool ideas? Worst case is just go ahead and leave it unlocked, but create an alarm and video record/response each time.

JS

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Put a secure cage around the servers, leave the room unlocked.

Source: I live in tornado alley

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 04, 2017

/end thread.

The only way to do this as far as I'm concerned.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Door opens inward to the room.

Is that by design, so that you can always open the door without being blocked by debris?

Can a normal panic bar work on a inward opening?

Ari Erenthal
Jan 04, 2017

Consult your local AHJ, but FEMA P-320 does not require tornado doors to swing inwards!

(I took a couple FEMA classes, and I asked our local OEM guy if he had any further reading for me. He loaded me down with pounds and pounds of FEMA literature, including P-320, despite the fact that our county has never had a recorded tornado touchdown. I guess this just goes to show you that there's no such thing as useless knowledge.) 

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...but FEMA P-320 does not require tornado doors to swing inwards!

They don't seem to have preference as long as the doors are strong enough.  

But which would you think are better, I'm not sure...

Ari Erenthal
Jan 04, 2017

All they require is that the door can withstand pressure and impact tests away from the doorstop. And outward swinging doors provide for more space inside the shelter. Build a reinforced foyer, and you should be fine.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The problem is that the room is also a secondary server room...

Maybe you could hang an inexpensive PVM off one of the machines with a street view.  

I'd think it would be much appreciated if anyone ever had to hunker down...

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions