Top Commenters List Expanded And Ranked

JH
John Honovich
Feb 14, 2017
IPVM

We made a minor enhancement to how we display top commenters.

We've expanded the list from 10 to 20 people so more members are displayed and we added a numerical order to make it clear that it is a ranking. Here is how it looks now:

Hat tip to Mike B. for the suggestion.

We are also considering other listings (perhaps most informative, funniest, etc.).

Thoughts and comments encouraged below.

Josh Hendricks
Feb 15, 2017
Milestone Systems

As it stands, the "leader board" is a good reference for new members or infrequent visitors to perhaps give more weight to responses from those people. And of course it gamifies the forums to encourage people to participate more.

I could see it used as a way to find informative or funny posts in bulk. Simply click on a name to see that persons posts, or filter for informative posts. One could potentially learn a lot in a short time by scanning through upvoted comments.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 15, 2017
IPVM

Simply click on a name to see that persons posts, or filter for informative posts.

That brings up an interesting question. We could easily show a list of people's past posts. We have not to date. Anyone feel strongly pro or con to doing that?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 15, 2017

Con for me but I'm sure would improve user experience. We have clients that are members here, and I can sometimes be a jerk.

(1)
(1)
(4)
Brian Rhodes
Feb 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

and I can sometimes be a jerk

hello, friend

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 15, 2017

Another note... this list is very likely Robert''s cold call list.

Case and point about that jerk thing.

(2)
Josh Hendricks
Feb 15, 2017
Milestone Systems

Currently the information is available if you're willing to dig for it. I could see making it too easy to "stalk" a persons comments being a concern. If it was done at all, perhaps limiting it to "informative" comments would be best?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 15, 2017
IPVM

Currently the information is available if you're willing to dig for it.

Agreed, to that end we may add it and make it opt-out. Not a priority right now but worth talking about it.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions