Top 20 Cities Visiting IPVM 2016

JH
John Honovich
Oct 11, 2016
IPVM

Here are some stats breaking down monthly visits to IPVM, by city:

13 of the top 20 cities are outside the US. Overall, though, 45% of visitors are from the US.

No city delivers even 2% of IPVM's overall traffic.

Compared to 2013

Here is the same chart 2013 version:

A few things to point out. Making the top 20 now is much higher than 2013 (now - 528 vs 351 in 2013). That's in line with our traffic up 60% since 2013 (-90,000 monthly in 2013 vs ~150,000 monthly in 2016).

Tapei is down over the past 3 years; best guess this reflects the decline in Taiwan manufacturers. Related, China visits are significantly up.

Bonus - Guess?

For the 2016 results, why are Sodra Forstaden, Sweden, Des Plaines, IL, US and Hangzhou, China in the top 20?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Oct 11, 2016

Everyone here knows why Hangzhou is up.

My question is why Houston ranks top in US?

JH
John Honovich
Oct 11, 2016
IPVM

Houston? Don't know. It's the 4th biggest city in the US so that's one reason. Also, our stats provider for some reason lists the NYC boroughs separately (e.g., NY, NY means Manhattan, but not Brooklyn, Queens, etc. which are separate). If those were added up NYC would be biggest in US).

Edited: NYC, as a whole would be second highest globally, at ~1,700 monthly visitors.

UM
Oct 11, 2016

Pretty sure that if anyone can make sense out of this IPVM visiting chart, well that person must be within IPVM :-)

The fact that both Houston and Austin up there, above LA the 2nd most population city in US , might say something about TX

Ari Erenthal
Oct 13, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

NYC, as a whole would be second highest globally, at ~1,700 monthly visitors.

You're welcome.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

For the 2016 results, why are Sodra Forstaden, Sweden, Des Plaines, IL, US and Hangzhou, China in the top 20?

Because each of those cities hosts an Internet POP which serves three of the largest sources of IPVM traffic; Axis, Hikua, and Jon Dillabaugh, in no particular order. :)

(4)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 11, 2016
IPVM

serves three of the largest sources of IPVM traffic; Axis, Hikua, and Jon Dillabaugh, in no particular order. :)

Lol, are you nervous that JD is coming for your comment crown? ;)

Try again on Des Plaines IL, who is there / near there?

Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 11, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Not that I even care about such trivial things, but I'm only bested by you JH.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 11, 2016
IPVM

JD, don't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

Those votes only show for disclosed comments, undisclosed comments (which there are many) are not shown. You're doing well on votes, for sure, but there's still at least one undisclosed above you.

(1)
KL
Keefe Lovgren
Oct 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Try again on Des Plaines IL, who is there / near there?

honeywell?

JH
John Honovich
Oct 11, 2016
IPVM

No, not Honeywell. Sensible guess though.

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Lol, are you nervous that JD is coming for your comment crown? ;)

I was a little perhaps. But not now that Cox has announced Gigabit to the home throughout the San Jaun "No Cap"-istrano service area.

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

When you say 'Top Visitors' do mean unique users?

JH
John Honovich
Oct 11, 2016
IPVM

Our stats provider does this based on visits, not unique visitors.

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Are they members views though, or could it be something or someone hitting the home page, possibly automatically?

Granted they make a lot of cameras in Tawain, and a few in Singapore, but those numbers seem a bit high relative to the others...

JH
John Honovich
Oct 11, 2016
IPVM

No, it's not automated. There's just a lot of people in the business in Taipei plus many who can read English.

RH
Robert Henriksen
Oct 11, 2016

It's a wild guess, but maybe all the oil & gas facilities in greater Houston mean lots of cameras?

Or I'm just spending way too much time on here, gotta pick back up with my Facebook habit

U
Undisclosed
Oct 11, 2016

San Juan Capistrano?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

My bad :(

(1)
UM
Oct 11, 2016

IMHO, it might have little more to do with the new gold than the black one(oil).

new gold

TX, TX, TX.。.。.oh another TX.

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Maybe some of that Taiwan/Singapore traffic is actually coming from China, thru proxies and/or VPNs.

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Anixter is the Bonus Answer.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 11, 2016
IPVM

Took you a while :)

That or IPVM is really popular at the O'Hare airport...

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Oct 12, 2016

San Juan Capistrano... Those IQinVision folks are getting after it!

(1)
Boris Bronstein
Oct 12, 2016
CCTV.Net

I wonder if neighborhoods of Los Angeles, having their own "postal city", like Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks, Hollywood, etc. are part of Los Angeles in the report. Or is it only area around downtown, with Los Angeles in the postal address?

This may skew results just like in NYC.

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 13, 2016
IPVMU Certified

but

for how long :)

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions