Subscriber Discussion

"This Is A Heinous, Heinous Act And Its Despicable And Its Discouraging That Someone Would Do This"

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 12, 2017

- said Broward County Mayor Barbara Sherief

Not the shooter who killed 5 people and injured many others at the local airport.

But instead, the person who released the surveillance video - and potentially made bank from TMZ.

The story says that the person who released the video has been positively identified via 'enhancement' from the reflection off the monitor in the video.  Which is awesome but now this will be the story that everyone points to when they claim to know that 'the govt' can enhance surveillance video

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Just a possibility: 

Maybe she is talking about the shooting being a "heinous, heinous act" and that "its despicable and its discouraging that someone would do this."

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 12, 2017

yeah, you are probably right....  :(

I'm curious what federal crime Dingman can be charged with for his not as heinous act?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 12, 2017

1.  Disclosed or used confidential criminal justice information

2.  Did not use proper discretion

3.  Conduct unbecoming

I don't believe any of those things are federal crimes.  #1 could possibly be I suppose (don't know), but 2 and 3 are 'code of conduct' violations related to the actual crime committed (#1) - and this deputy is not a federal officer.

I'm actually curious if anyone has ever been prosecuted for releasing private surveillance video.  This dude was LE - most 'keepers of the video' are not.

What statutes exist?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 12, 2017
IPVM
Ari Erenthal
Jan 12, 2017

To be fair, the person who sold the video was motivated by greed while the shooter was probably motivated by the voices in his head. You can't really compare the calculated act of a guy looking for a payday to the actions of a guy who thinks he was being controlled by ISIS. I don't know that I would call it heinous, and I'm too old to be discouraged to learn that humans are greedy bastards sometimes, but...

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions