Subscriber Discussion

Thinnest Maglock On The Market

Mark Jones
Apr 06, 2017

Good morning.  I have run headlong into a bad door design.  The door header is completely flush with the ceiling.  There is nothing to mount a Z or L bracket on above the door, except maybe the ceiling and it is not structurally sound enough.  

I have at most two inches to mount a maglock onto a herculite door.  If you include the locking plate and lock itself, that is pretty thin.  I did find a lock with the lowest profile I know of here.  

Here is a picture of the dimensions.  By my eye, I need just over 1.5 inches to mount this to the frame, with no brackets.

Small Mag

Anyone know of one smaller??

Thanks in advance

Brian Rhodes
Apr 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Just to clarify:

1. This door is a right/left swinging door? (Door Swing Primer)

2. How is the magnet box being mounted - you mention the ceiling isn't sound enough, but it is unclear how / from where it is being hung.

3.  How is the armature to be secured to the door?

Thanks,

Mark Jones
Apr 06, 2017

Double doors actually Brian.  They both swing out of the space.

The ceiling is so low if they swing in they will hit the exit sign.

from the edge of the header to the face of the door I have 2" total.  

There is metal at the top of this Herculite door (go figure) to mount the armature plate on.

Brian Rhodes
Apr 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What about this one:  350 Narrow Line Magnetic Lock

Singles run ~$210 online

Mark Jones
Apr 06, 2017

I saw that one.  The total lock with armature projects 2-11/16" into the opening.  I only have two.  The upside is it is 1100lb.  Customer needs to make a decision.  Aesthetics or holding force.  SECO Alarm is a bit smaller, but 600lbs.

Thanks Brian,

Brian Rhodes
Apr 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Right, that's confusing.  In the body, they claim 2-11/16", but in the tech specs, they cite 43mm (1-11/16").

I'll ask SDC to clarify and update here.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Apr 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Go with a Shear-Align Maglock. Takes experience to install but needs ZERO frame space. Or go with a electric BOLT lock?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions