Subscriber Discussion

FLIR Thermal Cameras For Perimeter Detector?

Romano Clark
Jan 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Has anyone used Flir thermal cameras as a perimeter detector?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 31, 2017
IPVM

Romano, Flir thermal cameras are commonly used for perimeter detection. That is one of it not the most common use case for Flir thermal cameras.

What specifics are you looking for? Reliability? Range? Analytics?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 31, 2017
IPVM

From Romano:

Analytics. I have used VIQ Rialto with visible cameras with success and was curious if anyone has used the FCID model from Flir and how effective has It been?

MR
Manuel Rial Amado
Mar 28, 2017

We used Flir Cameras for perimeter detection with Rialto but nowadays we improved  the range coverage connecting Flir to Davantis Videoanalytics.

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 01, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

One of our clients has been demo'ing a Flir Thermal PTZ. It isn't really an ideal demo scenario, so it's not a fair assessment, but I see the value in the thermal product at night. In the daytime, not so much. The reduction in resolution in the daytime makes me want to have a visual camera side by side, like the new Hikvision hybrid camera.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Feb 01, 2017

The video analytics in the Flir FC-ID works very good, but you hasn't got a lot of possibilities to choose from: Line crossing and Zone Intrusion and that's it.

Of course for Perimeter detection this should be sufficient.

Calibration works like a charm.

The only problem is the soooo much higher price than the normal FC camera's.

For this difference you can easily purchase a 3rd party video analytics licence and run this on the VMS server.

Chris Lanier
Feb 02, 2017

I've been learning more lately from the regional FLIR Thermal rep about the complimentary aspects of utilizing thermal with conventional camera systems. One of the best examples was a very large auto salvage yard whereas IP high resolution cameras were used at the entrance and thermal was used to cover the expanse of the yard due to challenges of no lighting and the cost associated with getting so many regular cameras deployed. The site had a guard at night to deter main entrance from being breached, however people were jumping the walls to raid parts from vehicles. With thermal, not only did the analytics alert the guard, but allowed him to track where the culprits were hiding once police responded so they could approach them directly and safely.

As to extended video reach needs (observation beyond IR capabilities, think acreage beyond a fence or lot), thermal again is a great option to consider.

(3)
(1)
Ralph Azzi
Jan 30, 2018
IPVMU Certified

i am currently working on designing a perimeter protection solution with thermal and visible cameras. specifically the FC-608 ID for fixed thermal cameras and the Quasar FLIR CP-6302-31-I for visible PTZ. the Goal is to produce automatic intrusion detection from the Fixed thermal cameras and hand off PTZ for autotacking with the new Quazar 1080p with built in IR.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions