Subscriber Discussion

What Can Detect A Person Wearing A Bomb?

ss
suleyman soguktas
Nov 21, 2015

Dear all,

as we are living in a very problematic region, one of my customer requested to find a product that can find out a threat that is bomb which was weared by a person.

This will be used in banks, embassies and governmental places, the aim is to determine the threat before getting closer.

If anybody advise any company or any product, will be appreciated.

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Are you familiar with Terahertz technology? Also known as submillimeter wave or Tetrahertz.

Terahertz radiation falls in between infrared radiation and microwave radiation in the electromagnetic spectrum, and it shares some properties with each of these. Like infrared and microwave radiation, terahertz radiation travels in a line of sight and is non-ionizing.

Like microwave radiation, terahertz radiation can penetrate a wide variety of non-conducting materials. Terahertz radiation can pass through clothing, paper, cardboard, wood, masonry, plastic and ceramics. Wiki

Because of these properties, several companies are producing detectors that can detect things others would not be able to. This passage is from one such company, Teraview

Explosive materials absorb THz light strongly at certain terahertz frequencies but not at others, and this 'terahertz fingerprint' can be used to identify an explosive, and distinguish it from clothing or other inert materials. Because clothing is transparent at terahertz frequencies, the THz light can pass through several layers, including common garments and shoes. TeraView has also demonstrated the technology is capable of detecting different types of plastic explosives through clothing, including PETN (Pentaerythritol tetranitrate).

There are a few, but not many others. Though this technology has existed for some time, practical and less expensive detectors have only been appearing in the last 5 years.

Have I ever used one? No, but I would consider getting one if the price was < $2000. Which I don't believe it quite is.

Just something to consider, if the budget is there...

(2)
ss
suleyman soguktas
Nov 21, 2015

thanks for the quick response, ? will deeply search for this,,

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

No problem, I was wondering myself if these devices were feasible yet for non-governmental deployment.

This one sounds interesting:

The scanner works by imaging Terahertz (far IR) energy emitted naturally by the human body and will detect concealed objects that block out this background light. It is a totally passive system that it is 100% safe to use on all people. The technology includes some unique and innovative features such as; non-invasive detection as it does not image intimate areas of the body, and a detection range of up to 10m (meaning there is no need to stop people to scan them). This means that it can be used an unlimited number of times on anyone with maximum safety and no requirements for gender specific screenings. The technology has other potential applications, for example quality or process control.

Let us know what you learn...

MI
Matt Ion
Nov 22, 2015

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

That'll work!

Maybe a 'hybrid' dog could detect AND detain...;)

Though Dogs might be even more expensive than Terahertz imaging. The TSA, for example, spends over $200,000 for training prior to initial deployment, and then over $100,000 every year there after.

Per dog.

MI
Matt Ion
Nov 30, 2015

I'm in a particularly pedantic mood this morning... a notification for this thread popped up in my email and the wording of the question tickled that mood:

"What Can Detect a Person Wearing a Bomb?"

Well... anything that can detect a person NOT wearing a bomb!

Now if the question was "What can detect a bomb being worn by a person?"... that's a whole different thing ;)

(1)
KA
Konstantin Avramenko
Nov 22, 2015

Other than mentioned above :) I remember that 5 years ago I discussed a possibility to create a solution for the terrorists detection by analysis of face muscles micro-movements. The idea was that people cannot control such kind of movements and there were developed some algorithms of suspects detection based on the high fps recording and analysis. Do not know whether a product was developed or not but at that time it looked interesting.

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

... I discussed a possibility to create a solution for the terrorists detection by analysis of face muscles micro-movements.

What's the specific micro-movement that terrorists give themselves away with?

One that wouldn't be shared by your garden variety pickpocket, or even a juvenile looking to buy liquor with a fake id?

KA
Konstantin Avramenko
Nov 22, 2015

I do not know exactly. The algorithms were not our part of a deal - all I remember that there were algorithms developed by psychologists that can be used for this task. Cannot remember the name of this company... something from Israel.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Nov 29, 2015

Maybe a thermal camera (axis/flir) ? Saw some presentations where they could detect if somebody was stealing frozen stuff from supermarket so i supose that if the bomb/explosive is on the body that should show up

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 29, 2015

I was talking with someone a couple of weeks ago that was going to test thermal cameras to detect concealed firearms. It peaked my interest but I have not had time to test it.

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 29, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I bet it would have little trouble identifiying a 'smoking gun'. ;)

U
Undisclosed #3
Nov 30, 2015

Performance varies. You might be able to detect a recently concealed weapon, but one that has been carried close to the body for more than a few minutes won't really stand out that much unless you're getting a VERY close up image.

If I have some spare time later maybe I'll do a couple of test shots.

Hal Bennick
Dec 02, 2015
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

...And how would a metal frame compare to a polymer frame?

U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 02, 2015

Good question. I have a few of both.

Update - just did a couple of quick tests with a 320x240 DRS thermal camera (it's what I had laying around).

I tested with a poly-frame .380 (Ruger LCP) and an all-metal .380 (FEG PPK clone). Neither made a clear outline when cold and under a light sweatshirt, both were even less obvious after about 15 minutes of warmup. This was at a distance of about 6' from the camera.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 02, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Got any bombs? ;)

RD
Roman Dabrowski
Nov 29, 2015

Microsemi amd Brijot had a mm wave body scanner that could detect non-metallic items (such as C4 explosive packs)

I know they sold the technology to another company but if you Google that you you be able to find out who the new company is.

http://www.microsemi.com/document-portal/doc_view/132516-gen2

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Dec 02, 2015

A remote detonator?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions