Subscriber Discussion

The 'Other' HD Video Alliance? (Hdbaset)

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Jun 30, 2014

It's called HDBaseT. But this Single Cable, Long Distance, Uncompressed HD technology runs on Cat 5e/6, not coax. But it's not ethernet exactly either. It's basically HDMI over Cat5e/6 with 100W POE and 100M length. It's designed for home automation, but unlike HDTodd it's managed to attract a handful of important and diversified and alliance members. They're coming out with their own proprietery switches too, just what we need. Is this going anywhere?

SP
Sharvil Patel
Jun 30, 2014

Somwhat similar concept to 'HD-MDI', where each camera connects directly to the recorder using CAT5/6, but is not IP surveillance. i.e. images/video are not encoded & compressed (or by any intelligence) on each camera, they are just raw signals sent to the recorder (which then takes care of encoding/compression etc).

Again, this defeats the purpose of using any kind of intellegence at the edge device (camera), as it's with surveillance.

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Jun 30, 2014

Images/video are not encoded & compressed (or by any intelligence) on each camera, they are just raw signals sent to the recorder (which then takes care of encoding/compression etc). Again, this defeats the purpose of using any kind of intellegence at the edge device (camera), as it's with surveillance.

I'm not sure what you mean by just 'raw signals'? You agree that an analog signal is encoded into a digital byte stream and transmitted on the cable uncompressed, right?

So if it's in digital form at the camera, what 'defeats the purpose of using any kind of intellegence at the edge''? Why does a byte stream have to be packetized (encoded) or compressed to be useful to the edge device?

Ethan Ace
Jun 30, 2014

HDBaseT is intended for audio visual use, not surveillance. Though I know at least one company was trying to push their chips or reference designs for surveillance a year or two ago.

It's interesting for things like digital signage where you may be able to run small displays via a single cable. It could also simplify camera control for A/V applications which often still require a separate RS-485/422/232 cable. I don't see it going anywhere for surveillance, though.

Carl Lindgren
Jun 30, 2014

Ethan,

I'm not sure I understand your point. HD-SDI was also developed for applications other than video surveillance yet it has been developed for such use. I think it remains to be seen whether HDBaseT will have any real applicability in the video surveillance market.

Ethan Ace
Jun 30, 2014

My point was I don't see it going anywhere for surveillance.

I'm not saying HDBaseT can't be used for surveillance. I'm saying it's been around since 2010 with no real product development in security. I recall Valens (a chip manufacturer and one of the founding members of the HDBaseT Alliance) pushing it for surveillance a year or two ago (they even were at ISC), but they seem to have given up on that.

HD-SDI surveillance cameras have been developed, too, obviously. But have they seen any sort of real adoption? Nope.

Carl Lindgren
Jun 30, 2014

Really? So you disagree with Todd Rockoff's assertion that HDcctv (including HD-SDI) is the fastest growing technology in video surveillance?

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Jun 30, 2014

Stop trying to put Ethan between a Rockoff and a HD place...

Richard Lavin
Jun 30, 2014
Salas O'Brien • IPVMU Certified

HDBaseT is used extensively in the pro AV world. I'm dealing with HDBaseT on a daily basis, have been for several years. Crestron DigitalMedia, AMX Enova, Extron DTP, Atlona HDVS and several others are all HDBaseT underneath the hood.

Is HDBaseT going anywhere (in general)? Yes, absolutely. That train has already left the station.

Is HDBaseT going anywhere for video surveillance? I agree with Ethan - probably not.

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Jun 30, 2014

Regardless of adoption or intention, from an organizational viewpoint, they seem like they have their sh!t together more than some of the 'other' HD Video Alliances out there, agree?

Carl Lindgren
Jun 30, 2014

Perhaps because they don't have an annoyingly pompous prima donna as their Chairperson and chief spokesperson.

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Jun 30, 2014

Yet, on the other hand, one-man alliances, barring schizophrenia, can be remarkably resilient: Take for example their new tag line "Together we stand, Divided we stand."

Richard Lavin
Jun 30, 2014
Salas O'Brien • IPVMU Certified

The main competitor to HDBaseT is AVB (audio-video bridging), championed by the AVnu Alliance.

At InfoComm 2013 (the big commercial AV trade show), representatives from the AVnu and HDBaseT Alliances got together and stated that they wanted to "figure out how they can work together for the benefit of the industry as a whole."

Can you even imagine Todd R. doing that? Can you picture him standing next to someone from ONVIF, making a similar statement?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions