The Most Mobotix Integration Ever - Tesla

JH
John Honovich
Dec 15, 2016
IPVM

Mobotix laughs at the race to the bottom.

The company has always looked towards the high end and are not stopping here. Take a look:

Once you buy a Tesla, you are not going to save a few bucks on security cameras...

Related news: Mobotix Founder Out, Company Embracing Open Platform

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Dec 15, 2016

Queue Hunter...

(2)
BS
Bob Schenck
Dec 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The Tesla has a web browser accessible from the center touchscreen. This would work with any VMS with a web client, not just Mobotix.

(4)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 15, 2016
IPVM

Bob, it was not clear to me if it was just the web browser. They seemed to imply there was some direct integration with the gate. As #1 says, Hunter will enlighten us.

Paul Grefenstette
Dec 15, 2016

So we are suppose to believe the camera recognizes his specific Tesla and only lets him in his gate without reading a license plate or rfid chip or anything?

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Dec 15, 2016

I think they cut the part where you touch the screen to trigger the output but I could be wrong.

BS
Bob Schenck
Dec 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The Tesla has a built-in HomeLink garage door opener that you can program to trigger when the car hits a certain GPS coordinate. You can even program multiple codes with different trigger points.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

...Mr. Moboto clearly says the camera specifically recognizes the car.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Except for the fact that...

Gert Molkens
Dec 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This could just as easy be an old fashioned old school I/O integration. You could say "it recognises the car" and 'forget' to mention "by the input that is triggered by the Tesla's homelink"

Doesn't look to spectacular to me

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

It says the 'camera' recognizes, so it would be more than a bit deceiving if the camera is not involved.

Until Hunter clears this up, I would like to imagine its a novel 1.5 factor authentication; basically using degraded facial recognition and off angle lpr, when either one of them alone would not work, but taken together would be enough to open the gate.

You know like a guard at a gate uses 3 or 4 imperfect cues to grant access: "Looks like his car, he's bald, he said, he said he would be be right back, and he's waving like he knows me..." :)

EP
Eddie Perry
Dec 15, 2016

So is every Mototix camera/system install going to get a subsidy too? or only if you buy a Tesla do you get one?

Paul Grefenstette
Dec 15, 2016

maybe Mobotix hopes Tesla will buy them and design software for the camera that actually works and doesnt look like a child designed it

(2)
(4)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Dec 15, 2016

didnt Mobotix just get purchased in past year?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 15, 2016
IPVM
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Dec 17, 2016

For full disclosure, I do work for Mobotix.

This is an integration for Aspen, CO "high end" properties, where clients do value their privacy and security.

Tesla Model S browser pops up on the central console of the vehicle using vehicles geolocation sensors and displays the gate cameras.

The LPR is activated in the cloud by a Mobotix M15 camera transmission for a second level verification and situational awareness.

If the wrong plates are read and/or tailgating is detected the camera will trigger a high security gate system and would crush any vehicle trying to cross. The monitoring centre is also notified using 2 different communication protocols (for redundancy).

There are also optional 3rd & 4th level authentication levels on client request, but details can not be disclosed for obvious reasons.

I certainly agree, it is a more "exclusive" IoT system, but customers in the specific group seem to really enjoy and value the simplicity and efficiency of the system.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If the wrong plates are read and/or tailgating is detected the camera will trigger a high security gate system and would crush any vehicle trying to cross.

Related: Access Control Killer: Tailgating

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions