Terrible Or Terrific? Police Captain Ferguson To Keynote ISC West

JH
John Honovich
Mar 10, 2015
IPVM

Who do middle age, gun carrying, white men want to see?

According to the folks at SIA, it is, and will be:

"Captain Greg Smith of the Missouri Highway Patrol as he shares his experiences during the Ferguson events."

Learn why security technology is critical in the Public Safety industry and how Public Safety officials are protecting themselves in these scenarios."

What do you think? Is it a great fit? Is it in poor taste? Is it too soon? Is it timely?

Vote:

Brian Rhodes
Mar 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Well, I fit into that "Middle-aged, gun carrying, white men" crowd, and I just shake my head.

This is the ISCWest Keynote version of clickbait.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Mar 10, 2015

John makes "middle age, gun carrying, white men" sound like a bad thing... :)

But yes, the "optics" are bad.

MB
Michael Budalich
Mar 10, 2015

I feel like they just picked an event that resonated with a lot of people in America. After which, they found the best possible first-person perspective they could to speak on it. I don't feel it is a creative choice by the SIA and is essentially taking the path of least resistance.

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Mar 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

two out of three ain't bad but I could still care less...

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Great way to save on appearance fees.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 10, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

Yikes! Very poor choice. Way too soon, and the deaths keep coming. If I were an attendee, I would boycott that keynote.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 10, 2015

Heard during the ISC West planning session - "I think we got ourselves a better keynote speaker than ASIS?"

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Mar 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Damn. I was hoping for Paul Blart...

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 10, 2015
IPVM
TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Mar 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

That's twice Colin Powell's rate! On the other hand Cpt. Greg Smith probably is only getting free admission plus a couple of Food Court Vouchers.

Actually, with the movie being released on April 17, (which is set in Las Vegas!), I wouldn't be surprised if Columbia would do it as a gag promotion.

One minor Blartonian advantage, no podium required!

(1)
MB
Matt Bode
Mar 10, 2015
I think opening up dialog is good, but the choice is risky indeed. I too was wishing for some Blartonian pearls of wisdom.
Ari Erenthal
Mar 10, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Not that I don't want to hear what he has to say, but the optics of this are just terrible.

That said, I certainly want to hear what the security industry's response to civil unrest should be, because Ferguson won't be the last one.

(2)
Anthony Jones
Mar 10, 2015

If Al Sharpton finds out, there will be a protest at ISC.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 12, 2015
IPVM

Related: 2 Officers are Shot Outside Ferguson Police Station.

Does this make the keynote more timely or more awkward?

Ari Erenthal
Mar 12, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

For the people who thought this was a good idea, it makes it more timely, and for the people who think it's a terrible idea, it makes it more akward.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

At this point, perhaps he should stay where he is needed...

Robert Baxter
Mar 12, 2015

It depends on what the message is.

The report on Ferguson is a must read. Where is the captain on that? an insiders view or a rebuttal?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions