Subscriber Discussion

Terminating Coaxial Cable - RG6 Quad With Some F Connectors?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 30, 2016

I always struggle with coaxial cable and the connectors. Usually I use compression connectors and struggle to get them tight. Usually they are loose and fall off.

I am on a project now where we need to move the Comcast modem and we need to terminate some RG6 quad with some F Connectors. I bought some Ideal connectors from Home Depot, they come off. I suspect the connectors are too small and I didnt have the cable all the way into the connector.

Am I just a putz?

Brian Karas
Dec 30, 2016
IPVM

Sounds like you have the wrong connectors. I've had good luck with Ideal compression connectors in general.

It also helps to have a good coax stripper that can cut the outer jacket and and foam/foil back appropriately. 

Are you prepping the cable properly for the connector you're using (stripped back into the right layers, braid folded back, etc)?

(1)
(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Dec 30, 2016

There are different types of Coax cable. You have to make sure the connectors you are using are designed to work with the Coax you have. We always used Digicon connectors and quad shield RG-6 Coax.

Some info on RG-6 Cable:

Example on how to term Coax:

(1)
(2)
Kyle Folger
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

So Digicon must simply be ICM/Belden re-branded by Arris? I have used both of the connectors for coax cable you mentioned. However, I chose to follow what the local cable company uses for coax connections simply to avoid blame placed on the connector used based out of their ignorance. Often when there is a problem and the cable installer sees a connector different than what they use, they will wack off the "inferior" connector for one of theirs and act like they accomplished something.

The connector I use for RG6 is this one. I use the related compression tool as well. It now seems that PPC is owned by Belden. It seems Belden wants to own all compression systems. For all other connections that deal with coax, I use ICM/Belden.

MM
Michael Miller
Jan 02, 2017

We ran into those issues with the cable companies too.  At a previous company, we used to install Structured Wiring including On-Q enclosures with expensive splitters and amplifiers.  I have seen a number of customers where the cable company would cut all the ends off and install their own splitters before even testing anything. 

Kyle Folger
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

That's funny, I have gone as far as using the same amplified splitters the cable company was using. They generally don't use bad products but not all of the installers carry the correct products in their truck and will make do with what they have. Most of my clients would rather me install the amplifier because the cable will be installed neatly and will be labeled. Or they will pay me after the cable company has done their "install." I have had a few clients prevent the cable company from touching anything I installed until they spoke with me.

I'm not sure why they would have a problem with the On-Q products as I feel they have released some pretty quality products.

UI
Dec 30, 2016

I strip the insulation, pull the braid back. There seems to be some foil on the inner insulation that doesn't come come off.

I suspect I am not getting the cable all the way in the connector since I am stripping much longer than the 1/4 " stated, leaving the copper center longer than I should. 

I use this stripper but the black guide under the hole doesn't seem to do any thing. I wonder if its broken

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Can you show a picture with the connector, the cable and a crimp that didn't work?

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Dec 30, 2016

The connector should look like this when you are done.

(1)
UI
Dec 30, 2016

So thats a failed one. Seems obvious I had too much stripped and the connector was barely on the insulation

This one I made each stripped section a little shorter and worked hard to get the connector on. Crimped and gave a good tug and it is solid. Actually after 2nd attempt I pulled as hard as I could with my hand and I cant get it off.

So I am a putz. I think I was stripping way too much off, and not putting the connector all the way on.

Thanks IPVM for helping me think this thru. On the bright side I am like 99% on RJ-45 :)

Brian Karas
Dec 30, 2016
IPVM

I didn't realize you are using those hex-crimps.  Those are garbage, throw those out.

This is the only compression tool/system I trust for a 360 crimp:

http://www.legrand.us/onq/structured-wiring/lv-tools/ac3007.aspx

But I would not recommend actually buying that tool unless you plan to do a LOT of coax crimps and are concerned about things like tight bend radius.

If you're not doing a ton of coax, the Ideal kit is probably a good bet:

https://www.idealind.com/ideal-electrical/us/en/products/datacomm/2-tools/5datacomm-tool-kits/1-pro-xl-compression-hip-kit.aspx

This is the exact stripper I use for coax:

I don't know the one you posted, but from the looks of it, I probably would not like it/buy it. The one in that Ideal kit should work pretty well.  Also, if you do a lot of coax, buy and setup a stripper for each type (RG 6, RG 6 QS, RG 59, etc.), it's easier/better than actually trying to flip the little plastic insert around and expecting to have the right cut depth.

(1)
(1)
Kyle Folger
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

When I first read the post, I assumed that the Ideal compression connectors were being used. While the compression are much better in my opinion, I wouldn't say that hex crimps are simply garbage. The strip job shown by UD1 is anything but clean and wouldn't really work that much better with a compression connector. 

The key to crimp connections is having the write crimp tool with the right size die for the particular cable size you are dealing with. I don't recommend crimp over compression but on the crimp connections I have done, they are very difficult to pull off.

Now if we were talking about the often used twist on BNC wrapped with electrical tape...

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Now if we were talking about the often used twist on BNC wrapped with electrical tape...

then the key is to match tape color to the jacket color and trim excess evenly ;)

(1)
UI
Dec 30, 2016

Originally I was using compression connectors.

I picked some up from the local supply house but I wasn't paying attention this morning and got RCA connectors...

So I ran to Home depot and got some of these. They specifically said RG6 Quad

And used the compression tool I already had

That didnt work, and I left all the tools at the site, so on the way home I grabbed the cheap crimper and crimp connectors to experiment with.

But I am thoroughly convinced I stripped wrong, and didn't pull the braiding back correctly after watching the videos. I really think it was user error

Jon Dillabaugh
Dec 30, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Look into the ICM/Belden Double Bubble line of connectors. Best connectors I've ever used. Wide variety of connectors, so be sure to grab the correct ones for your application and cable type.

(1)
(3)
UI
Dec 31, 2016

I feel like such a putz. I don't even know where to start but I was doing it all wrong.

Today I followed the directions on the stripper, pushed the wire into the connector all the way and compressed. Everything went well.

Nothing like cutting the Comcast/Internet coaxial cable to refish the line and wondering if you are going to be able to reterminate properly... :)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions