Subscriber Discussion

Temporary Camera System With Remote Access

JH
Jay Hobdy
Feb 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Client has issues with people breaking into apartments and they want to set up a "bait unit". New TV's with TV boxes in garbage, etc.

Plan is to throw up some temporary cameras inside the apartment, DVR, and have motion alarms go out to onsite security when someone enters unit..

But the unit will be up for just a few weeks, and it seems like getting a high speed internet connection from Comcast (local cable company) is going to require a lengthy contract.

Any other ideas for the remote access? I thought of cell and that may work for alarms, but not sure how video will stream. And what about contracts?

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 01, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Why not just do a wireless bridge from the office or other secure are that has internet access? A lot of the apartments we service have internet in the clubhouse and office. Some even have it in maintenance shops. There likely is a unit with LOS of one of these lit buildings.

What we use is Ubiquiti, but there are other PtP/PtMP/Mesh options out there.

(3)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Feb 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We use a lot of Ubiquiti, I am actually staring at a pile of NanoBeams I need to stage..

I do not know exactly where this "bait unit" will be in the complex, and I know we have some Ubiquiti links at the gates, but doubtful if we can hit those links (or any internet) within line of sight.

Also hanging a radio outside of the unit may deter any break in, and the whole purpose is to get them to break in so they can catch them

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 01, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

So run the wire through the attic/basement/gutter to the other side of the building for both LOS and obscurity.

(2)
BP
Bill Parker
Feb 01, 2017
American Integrated Security Group, Inc.

Look a local WISP to service the rooftop with broadband. If a WISP has an AP within 5 miles and you have LOS then it could be up in a couple of days for a temporary service that's easy to deploy.

JE
Jim Elder
Feb 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I love this stuff and used to do it as a detective, but i have not done the sneaky Pete thing for a long time.  

The Spy Store and "Trail cameras" have stuff built for this application. I believe they use a 850Nm IR which may not be appropriate if the room is totally dark (bad guys can see it). Go Pro, may also be a source and wireless motion detectors are well known and proven with some having ranges up to 1000 ft without repeaters. At least that may get you to the complex's office.

There is a manufacturer that has a wealth of knowledge about just this subject. I used these "Stake Out alarms" with great success back in the 80's as a detective/technical guy. VARDA Company has a web site, but it's one page with no products so you will have to call. They have been around since the late 60s and I will go out on a limb and recommend them to you.  Units are expensive, though, and I don't think they offer a video solution, but it's worth a call. These guys know the issues very well... assuming they are still in business (they were in 2012). 

Whatever you figure out, I can see integrators offering this service to police departments and property owners in general (i.e. illegal dumping, copper thefts, detection in areas of drug use, and simple overnight protection of space as a tempory solution). If you use VARDA, they can (or at least used to) use the PD frequency to take the alarm directly to the police car. OK for stakeouts. Not so ok for normal use; but if you want a quick response.... 

It would be interesting to see what you finally came up with. 

(3)
Scott Bradford
Feb 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Wifi is the way to go.  Put the AP up in the attic and you can probably bridge over to the office that has a hard line.  Worst case,  see if the management can find a friendly neighbor in the building who would let you ride on their wifi for a rent credit

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 01, 2017

A Ubiquiti Bridge is probably the way to go in terms of ease of use and cost. However if you can't get line of sight for your radios you could try building out a cellular unit using a CradlePoint/AirCard. 

(1)
WK
William K Dietrich Jr
Feb 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I think a lot of people are over thinking this...  Simplicity is always a great go-to.  Scott Bradford mentioned above, consider riding off a neighbors wifi for rent credit, it's is a great, easy idea.  I'm thinking cheaper is better since this is so temporary.

The cheap option:

Since it's an apartment complex, I'd imagine there are lots of wireless networks in the air.  Since your ISP is Comcast, you're in luck.  Comcast is trying to create wireless access everywhere.  So they came up with a tedious plan that most people are unaware of, where they are using customer modems to broadcast their own wireless network.

If a Comcast customer has a wireless modem, you'll have your normal SSID, probably named something like John Doe Family Wireless, but you'll also see an SSID called xfinitywifi, which broadcasts from the same modem.  Xfinitywifi can be connected to, and as long as you have a Comcast account, you can use the network, you just sign in with your account.  I'd say if you can see xfinitywifi in the air, login with your Comcast account and use the wifi.  I'm sure you can find someone that can give you an account, if you yourself don't have one.  Luckily, Comcast has a monopoly in the areas that they serve, so it will be difficult NOT to find an account to use, or even the xfinitywifi network in general.

The not so expensive option:

Do a hack job since it's very very temporary situation.  Run an Ethernet cable to the unit if possible.  It doesn't have to be pretty, just make sure nobody can cut the wire.  You can plug in a wireless router that you have laying around and run the cameras off wireless, or even plug in directly.  Then you can have your DVR in a safe distance away from the unit so it doesn't also get stolen.

The cheap but a little more expensive option:

Other people have stated this, but I will reiterate.  Setup an access point, and bridge it to an existing wireless network.  This will take a little time to configure.  I don't know how network savvy you are, but if you can figure out how to setup the AP, then you can do this option.  You're looking at the cost of an AP, as well as the time to set up, which could take as little as 20 minutes if you have the know how.  Undisclosed Integrator #1 recommended a Ubiquiti bridge.  I second that statement.  Ubiquiti products are easy to setup and are fairly inexpensive.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions