Subscriber Discussion

Camera Obsolescence Question

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 18, 2016

The below question was asked. Does anyone know a good resource for a qualified answer?

"Would it be possible to provide me with some third-party analysis of technology obsolescence in the type of equipment that would be installed on our site, particularly the cameras?"

JH
John Honovich
Apr 18, 2016
IPVM

1, good question, it is actually worth us doing a post.

Some initial thoughts:

• SD / NTSC / PAL analog (obviously) but not just because of MP IP but HD analog as well.
  • 720p (rapidly becoming obsolete) as so many high quality, low cost 1080p offerings become available
  • Pixim - once the 'gold' standard for WDR, now far surpassed by true WDR HD cameras
  • Any 'super' low light camera from 2012 or before - The new super low light cameras are dramatically better than a few years ago.

Anyone have others?

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 18, 2016

Thanks for the quick reply- I'm unable to find any studies that are publicly available. I will have to assume that if IPVM members haven't seen one.. it most likely does not exist!!

I look forward to reading your study

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified
  • CCD
  • MJPEG
  • MPEG4
JH
John Honovich
Apr 18, 2016
IPVM

Agree with CCD and MPEG4. As you know, MJPEG still has some proponents so I fear calling it obsolete will cause an unnecessary fight since the reality is, rarely is MJPEG used statistically.

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

And CCD's are often specified on high-end LPR cameras to eliminate any rolling shutter distortion.

Brian Karas
Apr 18, 2016
IPVM

I would also add:

Non-PoE IP cameras - there really isn't anything wrong with them, but it's an indicator of an odd or out-of-date product

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions