Subscriber Discussion

Technical Support Sub-Forum Feature Request

RS
Robert Shih
Oct 10, 2016
Independent

As far as site organization goes and the possibility that solutions will be found in certain other discussions for integrators not looking to create new topics, maybe we should have a support sub-forum with perhaps subsections for brands, situations, etc. that can allow for user created guides even....

Basically, at this point we might benefit from a slightly more traditional forum structure.

Heck, we could even file certain rants here under a place called Surveillance Conspiracy Theories! I kid!

But seriously, maybe it's time we started getting these discussions sorted out?

(2)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 10, 2016
IPVM

Robert, the idea certainly has merit. One thing that I have seen in other forums (in our industry) is that 10 or 15 categories are created but then 90% of traffic goes to just one of them.

My practical concerns then (1) is that it adds an extra click everytime someone goes to the discussion / forum section and (2) it makes it harder to quickly scan everything since discussions are shown only in each individual category.

I am certainly open to changes, just not sure the best way to handle.

(1)
RS
Robert Shih
Oct 10, 2016
Independent

We can definitely put up prototype outlines for subforum structures till we get general community consensus in here.

Edit: Also the front page layout would probably not have to change. The algorithm to link related topics works fine as well. The main thing is when we want to find older, less active topics that still hold value.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 11, 2016

I disagree. Unless the calls for help become overwhelming the current method seems fine. The odds of me ever looking at a support subforum are slim. I'm certain I would post there. I have the feeling no one would look unless they too needed support. Whereas if a call for assistance is posted on a product in which I could possibly assist with in the general forum I will click, read, and assist if possible.

(1)
HL
Horace Lasell
Oct 12, 2016

The forum volume isn't overwhelming yet -- it's not difficult to read nearly every post. It'll be a great day for the industry when IPVM really needs segmentation.

RS
Robert Shih
Oct 12, 2016
Independent

Well, the point is to avoid un-manageability in the first place by preemptively making sure we have the subforums. It keeps us from getting to where we do have frustration.

Compare it to IP camera security, an ounce of prevention... and all that jazz.

Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 15, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

A better system would be using tags for a given topic type, but still have them all in one "forum". That way, if you want to sort by topic type, you can certainly do so.

(3)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 16, 2016

I like the idea of trying to make the site better - I just don't agree with the idea that sub-forums are an answer to anything.

You (Robert S) were recently involved in a service-related thread that you were able to provide help to the OP. However, these types of threads do not dominate the space.... hence, there isn't really a need for sub-forums. And there is little likelihood that IPVM will suddenly grow exponentially which would require any preemptive structuring strategy.

As Jon D. points out, there are already searchable structures in place to filter for specific vendors and/or issues.

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions