Subscriber Discussion

Teamviewer Versus VPN For Client Support?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What are the pros and cons of this for support? Not factoring in customer remote access requirements.

Teamviewer is $40 a month with unlimited endpoints.  Setting up a VPN would be much more costly.

The goal would be to log in, scan the network for cameras, down radio links, etc

MM
Michael Miller
Dec 16, 2017

If you are installing Windows or Linux boxes for your VMS Teamviewer will work but if your installing DVR/NVRs you will need another box to install Teamviewer on.  

Also, you might want to look at Screen Connect as it's cheaper and faster then Teamviewer.  We switched to Screen Connect over a year ago and have been much happier with it. 

(1)
(3)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I knew that and was debating on adding a VPN to clients with NVR/DVR or installing a small workstation...

Does Screen Connect allow you to quickly and easily send someone a link to download the necessary software for a remote support session? One of our challenges is clients not knowing how to use the VMS, and we have to do a screen share to help them. Sometimes its painful to walk them through downloading teamviewer.

My last call it took the user several minutes just to find the power button on the viewing station...

(1)
(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Dec 18, 2017

You have 4 ways to invite people to the remote session.  We also have a link on our web page to direct users to then we just have to give them the code. 

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 17, 2017
IPVM

I have queued up a survey to get more formal / structured responses on what integrators are most typically using.

Related discussions - Anyone Seeing Teamviewer Hacks?Free Logmein Service Killed - What Else To Use?

(1)
SP
Sean Patton
Dec 17, 2017

Teamviewer is definitely much easier; however less and less of our systems are getting direct Internet access, thus making VPN a necessary evil. Being an Aruba networks dealer, we've talked about installing a small Remote Access Point (with the wireless radio deactivated) that will establish a direct tunnel to our corporate support network. This is actually a pretty cheap, extremely secure option for us.

(2)
U
Undisclosed
Dec 19, 2017

If you put something in without the customer's permission you'll likely get in trouble.  Unfortunately the pattern is "integrator mentions teamviewer" tends to mean "cowboy installer loaded teamviewer and never told the customer".

If you got permission to load it, then we're down to asking do you trust that specific remote access service.  How long a password do you use, is the thing using TLS, blah blah blah the usual questions apply.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 19, 2017

We have Logmein on about 60 boxes and was considering Teamviewer since it costs a lot less.  Have to look into Screen connect as well

UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Dec 19, 2017

Free with hidden costs:

If you don't mind a potential peering over ones proverbial shoulder by big brother, there is a chrome remote desktop plugin, as long as you have a windows client on the intended security network. You have to use gmail/google account credentials.

I have tested this using Xfinity credentials for the WiFi interface on a laptop and shared that internet connection with the ethernet port that connects to security network, my devices that need access to Internet get through just fine. I use this to monitor a vacant home of mine that I am renovating, and didn't want to pay for full Cable or Internet just for alarm/event monitoring.

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We have a client that had LMI and switched to TeamViewer. We have access to 40+ video servers on their LMI/TV account. The servers do not have monitors attached. When I log in, the screen is always so small, and I can not seem to get it to match my screen 23". I use Google Remote Desktop for my office, when I work from home, and its like I am sitting at my office. The screen is full size. Is this a limitation of LMI/TV or I assume its probably due to the fact there is no monitor on the server, and it is the resolution of the server

RA
Rusty Allison
Dec 20, 2017
3D Security

I have the same issue with GoToAssist no monitor stuck at 648x480

DR
Dennis Ruban
Dec 20, 2017

Setting up a VPN would be much more costly

I have to strongly disagree. It takes 1 min to setup the windows machine to accept RDP connections, add a user and $50 for Ubiquiti ER-X plus 30 minutes to configure the basic network settings and L2TP VPN server.

The total cost would be $100. The only thing, you will not be able to connect to the user's screen like TeamViewer does so I don't think that solution should be considered for customer tech support. Although, it's a perfect way to support remote Windows servers.

(1)
(1)
CH
Corbin Hambrick
Dec 20, 2017

We purchased Dyn's DNS Express which I think is $75/year for something like 200 entries?

Every job we install a router and configure a DNS entry and VPN access.

We purchased Shimo (VPN software for Mac.  $50 to own I think).

This has been really good for us?

(1)
TM
Ty Mullen
Dec 23, 2017
COR Security, Inc.

We have been using Zoho Assist for awhile and like it. We use both the 'unattended access' on select machines as well as the 'on demand remote support'. Both work well and are included. You can even reverse the screen to show the customer something or have a mini webinar. One feature that I have not tried, was the the mobile app.

We have a university that we do a lot of work with. They have Cisco VPN deployed. Which we use daily and it works great. However as of late I have found that when you have more then two virtual adapters (doesn't have to be a VPN. It should be another software) installed they can fight with each other. So that is a potential concern.

Ultimately I prefer the 'service provider' route versus VPN. For the following reasons.

1. I can use with any customer. You might get a corporate customer that doesn't want additional equipment on the network.

2. Adds no additional per job cost. There is a monthly flat rate, of course, but no equipment cost to think about or install. 

3. You can see the screen. So if customers have a problem you can both see it. Additionally we use this for training's all the time.

Either way being able to remotely administer systems remotely is a lifesaver for everyone.  

(1)
(1)
JA
Johnie Arnold
Dec 24, 2017

Tried Teamviewer in the past, most of my clients were somewhat intimidated with the initial GUI of it. So I gave GoToAssist a trial and have had it for 3-4 years now. Meets my needs and if ever a question is raised about what I did, there's a audit log and video log I can send links to via email to my clients.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions