Subscriber Discussion

Tailgating Detection: Video Analytics & Access Control Integration?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jun 23, 2015

What is the state of play with Video Analytics and Tailgating detection? Have Video Analytics been integrated with Access Control systems to provide Operators with a view of both video and card/badge swipe information when Analytics detect a tailgatingng event? Or are the Video Analytics operating largely 'standalone' from the Access Control System?

What Vendors (and/or Analytics Companies) have proven tailgating analytics out in the market?

Are these widely used? Or is it generally accepted that dollar for dollar you get better value by spending your money on tailgating prevention rather than detection?

Brian Rhodes
Jun 23, 2015
IPVMU Certified

It's a good question. In my experience, anti-tailgating effectiveness looks like this in terms of strength:

1. Turnstiles/revolving doors/mantraps
  2. Optical turnstiles/beam type frame mounted sensors
  3. VA detection

I do not think analyic tailgating detection is especially difficult for a well lit, interior single door, movement all the same direction, with pedestrian traffic. When VA gets tough is when the camera covers multiple doors, outside, mixed lighting/environment, with mixed traffic (delivery people or carts).

It may look ugly, but dropping a turnstile and funneling traffic to a single point seems most cost and operationally effective.

I am curious to follow feedback on this one too.

Brian Rhodes
Jun 24, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Also, on this question:

Or are the Video Analytics operating largely 'standalone' from the Access Control System?

I am not aware of any integrated or native access control based anti-tailgating video analytics. The analytics need to be incorporated into the platform through alarm configuration or similar.

In the example I am familiar with, OnSSI used AgentiVI. This was a totally seperate analytics server.

JS
Jeff Sandine
Jun 25, 2015
RadiusVision

A few years ago I spent 3 months immersed in the anti-tailgating industry, on the manufacturing side. I was surprised by how easy it is to defeat many of the systems that are currently sold as reliable anti-tailgating solutions, whether they are a physical man-trap, turnstile, photo beams or video analytics. Assuming these are automated systems without a human observer, some of the tactics that defeat these systems include 2 people hugging each other (1 in front of the other) as they pass through the device, crawling on the floor, one person pushing a cart that another person is riding on or in, one person wearing a very large loose fitting garmet the covers another person, etc. Mantrap doors or other access controlled doors may be tricked by putting a magnet on the contact after the door opens, the door can be left propped open, yet the system sees the door as closed. In the case of data centers/server farms around the world, which all the major players have, the level of anti-tailgating security measures to prevent unauthorized access can be ridiculously low. I am very skeptical of anti-tailgating systems as a 100% reliable method of stopping tailgating. And human observers can also be tricked, confused, asleep or bribed. Considering how important it can be to prevent unauthorized access to what should be a secure facility, the anti-tailgating industry has a long ways to go.

GC
Greg Cortina
Jun 25, 2015

I might take Jeff's comment as a little skeptical if I didn't have the same experience! I would add that there were effective measures with all technologies and the best start being physical in design. Just not 100%, but then what is 100% and reasonable in cost?

If you don't mention tailgating does it really exist ;)

JP
Jacques Poulet
Aug 27, 2015

What about car tailgaiting? Anyone have experiences with that?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions