Subscriber Discussion

System Time Is Backwards? - Avigilon LPR

BN
Bradley Nedved
Sep 20, 2017

Lately I have been having an issue with my Avigilon LPR. Randomly the camera will cut out and give the message, " Recording interrupted on camera "LPR" because the system time has been changed backwards. Recording will resume at".

John Scanlan
Sep 20, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Bradley - Have you checked with Avigilon tech support? We are happy to help, but this is the type of question where the manufacturer is likely to have the best response.

(2)
Brian Karas
Sep 20, 2017
IPVM

I agree with Scanlan, probably best to call Avigilon support.

One thought, are you running ntp? You *might* have an issue where you have a lot of clock drift forward, then ntp kicks in, pulls the time backwards, and you get that error.

If that is the case, setting NTP to sync more frequently could help.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Just to note that's unusual since an NTP served time tries to avoid any backwards movement, and instead will just slow the time until both  are in sync.  

Is ACC the time source for the camera? What's ACC's source?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Also, how big is the difference between the time in the log and the "resume recording at" time?

(1)
BN
Bradley Nedved
Sep 20, 2017

It's under a minute difference.

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 20, 2017

What version of ACC are you running?

(1)
BN
Bradley Nedved
Sep 20, 2017

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 20, 2017

Could you post the specific version number you have? 5.x.x.x

BN
Bradley Nedved
Sep 21, 2017

5.10.4.6(38259)

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Have you set both the cameras and ACC to the same NTP server?  Have you verified that the NTP server is responsive and visible from the camera network?

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 21, 2017

I vaguely remember this issue from years ago, I can see if I find some old emails about it later... I have a feeling it might have been due to not having the correct time zone set even if NTP was not enabled for the camera (the recorders' time was synced instead of the cameras and that was the authoritative time). Or something similar non-obvious, but surely Avigilon themselves can help too.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 21, 2017

Didn't find any mention of it now, it might have been related to some other camera too. Is this a domain computer? You may also find useful info in Avigilon's logs and Windows Event Viewer's "Administrative Events" section or similar (things like Windows Time service having problems for example).

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Here's a discussion regarding this issue on another forum, though there is not a clear resolution.

Also, it could be that the Windows clock is unstable, leading to discrepancies so large (+1 sec) that a brute backwards adjustment is required, (causing Avigilon to pause the recording).

There is a discussion of that general case here.

ML
Marc Langille
Dec 28, 2023
IPVMU Certified

I know this a effectively a stale thread, but not seen many posts about it anywhere, even using an online search via Google.

Backstory: the NVR at a remote site - Dell R330 - experienced an extended power outage - over 48hrs. Once power was restored, the NVR date/time now displayed Jan 1, 2098. Because it was so far into the future, I corrected it manually in Windows.

1. Verified camera and NVR are set to current date/time. Camera alerts below.
  2. NTP server is our internal server at corporate.

Camera Alert message:

"...because the system time has been changed backwards. Recording will resume at 2098-Jan-01 01:49:34.205 AM."

I'm following up with Avigilon Red Account Team on this issue - they have direct access to communicate with the developers and engineers.

Hopefully I can get an answer on how to resolve it, since the camera itself is correctly configured as all other cameras at the site, and they're not generating any camera alerts.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions