Subscriber Discussion

Synology Rack Station For VMS Storage Expansion For DW Spectrum - Anyone Using?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 23, 2018

Anyone using Synology Rackstations for VMS storage expansion?

What are you guys using for big storage? I have a site with approx 150 cameras and growing. currently have DW Spectrum VMS running on HP servers. but being that they only come in 1-2U models these days, expanding on storage for longer retention is proving to be really expensive.

Customer is looking to have 6 months of recording available at all times. we currently have around 50TB that allows us to keep around 45 days of history. So...according to my calculations, I'm going to need around 200TB of usable storage. My options are either to go with 3-4 stacked 2U HP servers, or to look at other options such as the Synology Rackstation RS2818RP+ NAS with expansion chassis', (attached via iSCSI to the VMS server)

What have been your experiences?

Thanks guys!

ps. I tried using the value series rackstation RS816 connected over the lan but was receiving errors about not having enough speed for recording to that share... 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 23, 2018

I've not used the Synology, but all our recording servers have a SAS Attached RAID, 3RU, 16 bay with 6TB drives (the new ones anyway). This is giving us around 40 days per server (24/7 recordings, mix of 1080p and 3MP, with no more than 32 cameras per server). We could easily attach another 3RU RAID, or a JBOD to the existing RAID to double out storage. We've looked into doing SAN storage for the future, but not sure if it'll happen.

We generally don't have any issues with this set up, but I'm not in a position of choosing what we use and why, just working with what we have. (Technician for large end user).

UI
Oct 23, 2018

UD2,

Thanks for that information. DO you mind sharing what VMS you are running. I'd also like to know what brand of server as well as what SAS attached RAID you are using.

Thank you!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 23, 2018

We are using MaxPro VMS here (Hoenywell), and the bosses order servers and RAID's from them. It's of course manufactured by some one else, but branded honeywell.

The RAID's seem to be made by Infortrend, and I believe the servers (2RU) are manufactured by Super Micro Computers

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 23, 2018

I would use fiber channel over iSCSI as it is basically plug and play.  We have had more issues with iSCSI vs fiber channel.   Also, keep in mind Spectrum can use a network share as a storage target but I haven't tested it to see how reliable it is on a large system compared to iSCSI. 

You can also roll your own box with FreeNAS

(1)
UI
Oct 23, 2018

Thanks Michael,

We did try the network share option as I've noted above. we found it to be a bit unreliable as it was throwing us errors. ("Not enough HDD/SSD speed for recording to D:\DW Spectrum Media."

Do you mind sharing what hardware you use for such applications that has works well for you?

Thanks Michael!

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 23, 2018

sure send me a DM 

Kyle Folger
Nov 02, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I’ve only used Synology for Spectrum storage on my own server since 2015 and it has worked well for 5 cameras but I haven’t tried any more thus far as I’ve had no time to add more cameras. I’m using the RS814+ with 4 NIC LAG into some gigabit ProCurve switches. It’s just a network share. I’m using just a single rack Lenovo RS140 with a single Xeon processor with 2 512GB SSD drives in a RAID1 configuration. There are two VMs running on that machine. One is for the camera system. I use Veam for backin up the VMs since storage is all handled in the Synology.

The Synology is running with their SHR RAID using (4) WD RE drives. 1 has failed so far under warranty and rebuild was successful. I also run Plex using the Synology just for storage. So I am using the Synology for more than just camera storage but I haven’t really had any issues.

with all that being said, for the amount of cameras you’re talking about, I like Michael’s suggestion more than the Synology idea. I do know the newer Synology devices offer fiber connection as an option. I would also look into Coldstore as well for long term storage.

Before the RS140 and the VMs, I had two HP DL380s but they were older, consumed too much power, and made too much noise. They did provide heat in the winter though. 

Matthew Fox
Oct 23, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I have a veracity Coldstore at one location and we are getting about more than enough storage.  Site has about 80 IP cameras and 6-8 months of storage.  I would definitely recommend that solution.  Certified for both DW Spectrum and HT Wave. 

Kyle Folger
Nov 01, 2018
IPVMU Certified

How long has this been working? We looked at this solution 3 or 4 years ago and it wasn’t directly integrated yet so we didn’t go with it.

Matthew Fox
Nov 02, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I have had it installed for over 2 years.  It has been great for this site.  It is a warehouse location with 70 cameras.  I just rechecked the storage and i have about 18 months with those 70 cameras.  All 2MP, 15 FPS.  Again this is a warehouse location, so heavy traffic from 4am until about 5pm, then practically nothing...

(1)
JW
John Warehime II
Oct 24, 2018

My organization has been using Synology for this same purpose for the past few years with no issues. We do stay away from the Value Series and lean on the Plus Series. Attached via iSCSI to the VMS server (We use Salient), and we generally use Western Digital Gold Series HDD's. On smaller client side builds, I have the VMS software installed on Precision Towers, DiskStation DS718+ with the memory expansion, and Gold Series HDD's. 

This configuration has worked well over the years, to the point where it has become an everyday part of our VMS offering. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions