Subscriber Discussion

Surveillance For Whole House Remodel

SR
Sean Reed
Jan 25, 2017

We've begun a renovation and removed all the sheetrock and insulation in the house. I'll be installing a surveillance system and want to make the most of the opportunity to have free access to all the walls, ceiling and attic. I'm also installing home automation, security system, CAT6 throughout, network hardware, and media room. I've been working with a local installer here in the Dallas area and I'd like advice beyond this one source. 

The current proposal is to use:

• Luma (SnapAV) for surveillance (not impressed)
  • Araknis (SnapAV) or Pakedge for networking (seems overpriced)
  • Control4 for home automation and media room functions (also overpriced)
  • Alarm.com for security

My current intention is to go with:

• Synology NAS running Surveillance Station 
    • Axis or Vivotek IP cameras
      • Panoramic fisheye cameras on each exterior corner and one in the living room
      • PTZ dome cameras at the front door and one bedroom (where the dog spends his days)
      • Considering separate IR illuminators; particularly because I have issues with bugs/spider webs on outdoor cameras with onboard IR.
  • eero or similar mesh WiFi solution
  • Apple HomeKit compatible locks, lighting, etc. for home automation
  • Alarm.com for security (without video integration)

I currently own a Synology DS214play and have been testing Surveillance Station with two IP cameras. The software is very powerful, but it seems very sluggish and can be temperamental. Perhaps my NAS is outdated or the disks are wearing out, but if it struggles with two cameras, how can I expect it to perform with seven or eight? I'm also not impressed with the iOS app. Its notifications aren't informative and features are limited. Does anyone have experience with Synology (good/bad) they can share? Are there similarly capable, similarly priced NVRs that you prefer? iOS app is important. 

I've only recently joined IPVM, but I've learned more about the limitations of panoramic fisheye cameras. It makes sense that, when focused on the same area, even a 12MP panoramic camera wouldn't have great resolution compared to a dome camera (since the panoramic camera is also capturing way more area). Considering that, I'm now leaning toward dome or bullet cameras outdoors; perhaps with one or two fisheye cameras in areas I want to monitor, but don't necessarily care about the lower resolution. 

So happy to have discovered this site. So far it's well worth the money. Thanks!

SN
Shane Nolan
Jan 25, 2017

Cool post.. I'm also a home DIY person so here is my setup for comparison.

I am also using Apple HomeKit with Apple TV 4th GEN as the hub; Bluetooth range can be a pain but so far everything works across a 2000 sqft home.

Using two Elgato Eve Energy (for lamps; used one on the Christmas tree a few weeks ago; worked great), two Elgato Eve Switchs for front porch and back deck lights, one Elgato Eve Motion to trigger lights on movement on main floor and Elgato Eve Weather mounted on the back deck; works well but alerts would be a nice feature to add.

Elgato just announced a Bluetooth extender to be available soon; so I'm not the only one to experience the challenges of Bluetooth range.. ~laughing~

No locks or garage door opener connected yet.. baby steps.

For cameras, believe it or not, I'm still three running the old/unsupported Logitech Alert 750e outdoor cameras... they still work and send alerts but I'm waiting for a HomeKit outdoor camera solution. I have a Synology NAS but waiting to see what is coming from D-Link and others.

Family friends use NEST cameras (indoor and outdoor); they work well but the fees are high (in my opinion) for home users when you start to add multiple cameras and they don't integrate with HomeKit.

Also using NEST Thermostat 2nd GEN; that doesn't support HomeKit but we don't adjust the settings very much. It works well but would consider changing to Ecobee3 with room sensors and HomeKit support... TBD.

I wouldn't say that I am pro-Apple but I do like the security that was designed into the HomeKit products.

The other factor for me was.. I may know but tech but my family members will be using these products as well... I have to consider, how easy will it be for my wife to check a video event or trigger the lights? She won't be logging into the Synology to figure that out..

Hope this is helpful.. and I agree, this site is great.

(1)
SR
Sean Reed
Jan 25, 2017

Thanks for your response. I actually installed two Nest outdoor cameras in the house we're renting during the renovation. The iOS app is very good. When it detects a human, motion or sound, you can tap and hold the pop up notification to get a ~3 second clip of the event; all from the lock screen. Scrolling through recent history is very smooth and well designed. My issues with the Nest cameras are that they're WiFi only, require a traditional wall plug outlet for power, and the magnet mounts are easily compromised. I wish I could get an iOS app as good as the Nest app, but with an NVR/IP camera configuration. 

If I stick with HomeKit, I'll likely go with Lutron for lighting. However, I'd have to replace my Nest thermostats (no support) and currently no garage door opener is HomeKit compatible. Most likely I'll end up with home automation, security, and surveillance that are three separate ecosystems.

Brian Rhodes
Jan 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Most likely I'll end up with home automation, security, and surveillance that are three separate ecosystems.

This is a major pain, but a typical reality.  Have you investigated Samsung's SmartThings?

SR
Sean Reed
Jan 25, 2017

We're an Apple house so I haven't really considered SmartThings. It doesn't appear ST supports Nest? I do have two Echo Dots that wouldn't be as useful if I went with HomeKit. 

Do you have any experience with Control4? I'm not convinced it's worth the price. 

Joseph Parker
Jan 25, 2017

This is for your house, correct?

Luma appears to be vastly overpriced Hik clones.  I actually really like Snap, but their camera line is a joke.  If it were my house I'd do a Hik/Spectrum combo, and I wouldn't use panos at all.  

Similarly, I'd avoid Araknis.  Packedge is great, and if you can afford it you'll do really well with it.  Ubiquiti is a great value option if you have some know how.

Alarm.com is an interface, not a monitoring company.   This is relevant because if you use C4 you'll likely handle alarm from the C4 app, which means most of the Alarm.com features won't be used.  You may be able to get basic cellular for less.

As far as the automation goes, I've been a professional and hobbyist automator for 15 years.  I've worked with or owned: Alarm.com, Total Connect, Crestron, Total Control, Elan G, Harmony, Wink, Smart Things, and Control4 and more.  Smart things is fine IF you are a tinkerer.  If you want something that works, do C4 or Crestron.  I am personally transitioning my home to C4 because I've found it to be the most reliable mid range system.  AMX and Crestron may be a bit better, but not for the premium imo.  And frankly, after home experiments with Wink and Smart Things I'm really getting tired of my system failing every time I go to show it off.  One other note: I don't have much experience with Savant, but I have heard some really positive things and it's a pretty slick system.  One commonality I've notice across different systems is that zigbee seems to be a much more reliable mesh standard than ZWave.

No matter what, all of these systems will only work as good as your network, so competent network setup should be your number one priority.  Hardwire everything, and if your integrator seems confused bring in a consultant.

Sorry for the ramble! 

(4)
SR
Sean Reed
Jan 25, 2017

Very helpful feedback, thanks!

Yes, this is for my house. I'd be willing to pay more for Control4 if it's that much more reliable. Originally the installer quoted a $2,000 Control4 EA5. I pushed back and he agreed that a $1,000 EA3 would be plenty. The dimmer switches (C4-APD120) are $180/ea installed; seems really high. 

I had a 2GIG Alarm.com system before the renovation and figured I'd just go with a basic monitoring plan. I took down all the glass break sensors, smoke/CO detectors, etc. so I should save some money reusing those. 

Joseph Parker
Jan 25, 2017

EA3 should be fine for all but very large projects.  $180 installed is actually very reasonable for the switches.  The C4 switches are zigbee, and have a great build quality that is evident in a side by side comparison with a $55 ZWave switch.  Hopefully there's some keypad dimmers in the mix as well.  The custom engraved buttons are beautiful way to simplify lighting, and can be assigned to play music, control shades, etc.  They really add alot of pop to a system.  I don't think 2 gig integrates with anything, so that does stink a bit because alarm integration with C4 is great.  

(1)
SR
Sean Reed
Jan 25, 2017

The installer said he could link the Alarm.com hardware to C4. I assumed it was still 2GIG, but I haven't confirmed. He described a routine where the garage door opens, hallway lights come on, alarm is disarmed and door unlocks.

Jason Neubauer
Jan 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

- Sean

We are commercial and residential shop.  After reading this thread i would say you are truly a DIYer.  Control4 is very stable and works really well when it is professionally installed and it provides 1 app to see all the sub-systems.  If you plan on changing things or trying things you will need to pay your Control4 dealer everytime to do those things.

As a SnapAV dealer, SnapAV is great for an AV company that don't know everything or wants real tech support when stuff goes haywire.  You are paying a premium for this.

My advice is find a more open-sourced based control system or get used to using multiple apps so you have more control of things.

(1)
Joseph Parker
Jan 25, 2017

While Jason is certainly correct about adding things, your installer can give you control of scene editor so you can change up your scenes without his involvement.  +1 on the Snap comments, but their speakers and cables provide really great value for the money.

SR
Sean Reed
Jan 25, 2017

Jason,

You've hit on it. I'm technical enough that I usually conduct my own tier 1-2 support, but I have knowledge gaps (known and unknown) that inhibit me from engineering a complicated, stable home network, home automation or surveillance system. Most of what I've seen from SnapAV's OVRC service is support that I would never need/use.

That being said, I'm willing to sacrifice some control for stability and reliability. I love the control I have with Synology's Surveillance Station, but once the surveillance is setup and stable, I don't think I'd meddle too much. However, I haven't seen an NVR that has a feature set that is superior. 

On the network side, what do I really gain from a Pakedge or Araknis network that I don't already get from my eero mesh WiFi? As I understand it, the eero does intelligent traffic management if one user is streaming video, etc. I could configure separate subnets for surveillance myself for security; what am I missing?

Joseph Parker
Jan 25, 2017

Hmm, I checked pretty recently and couldn't find a way to integrate 2GIG.  Time for some research!  Alarm.com does support other panels, so that may be where the mixup comes in.  The scene he described is pretty dead on.  I have a keypad dimmer in my master that has buttons labeled Bedtime, Morning, Bathroom, Fan Light (That's the load the dimmer controls), and Panic.  Bedtime arms the alarm, turns out the lights, closes the garage, turns off music, and will eventually close shades.  Morning does the opposite, Panic turns every light in the house on (probably need a better descriptor), and Bathroom turns the master bath and hall lights to a very dim setting for 5 minutes.  The Alexa integration is pretty killer too.  Also works well with Sonos, which had been a problem with some previous systems.

SR
Sean Reed
Jan 25, 2017

We have a key fob for the 2GIG panel. Going out on a limb, but could the C4 "learn" the disarm signals from the fob?

Joseph Parker
Jan 26, 2017

Where there's a will there's a way.  I saw a couple potential paths, ie custom drivers, IP relays, etc. but without true compatibility or at least a Houselogix driver it will likely be an ongoing headache.  There does appear to be talk of eventual ZWave integration, so we'll see.

(1)
SR
Sean Reed
Jan 26, 2017

Thanks for researching it. Perhaps the installer is mistaken and what he described isn't realistic. I'm meeting with another company today for a competitive bid. 

SR
Sean Reed
Feb 08, 2017

I've learned how the integrator does this. The alarm is a GE system that interfaces with Control4. Alarm.com is connected to the GE system to provide mobile alerts of alarm events. It won't use 2GIG.

Joseph Parker
Feb 08, 2017

Ahh, that makes sense!

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 26, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I would strongly reconsider most of the SnapAV stuff. I also am not very impressed with Synology Surveillance Station. I would highly recommend you look into a VMS based recording solution. You can still use a NAS for storage if that is your choice. A simple Windows or Linux PC can record eight cameras very easily. We use DW Spectrum (also known as Nx Witness) for our VMS. I would recommend you look into Ubiquiti for your network needs, both wired and wireless, but I am unsure why you need mesh networking if you can simply pull cable now?

As far as the outdoor cameras are concerned, it depends on the mounting height of the cameras. If you are higher than 10ft above grade, then you should consider bullet cameras. If less than 10ft above grade, bullet cameras become an easy target to be moved or broken. At these lower heights, consider turrets, because they are more vandal resistant, offer better IR than traditional domes, can be wall mounted or soffit mounted without the need for a wall bracket, and are still decent looking.

I don't have as much knowledge when it comes to the automation and access stuff, so I will leave it for others to help there. What I can tell you is that we have sold OnControls in the past, but that Control4 is a respected brand as well.

(1)
(1)
SR
Sean Reed
Jan 26, 2017

Jon,

Just to clarify: when you say "reconsider SnapAV" are you saying I should hesitate going with their Luma/Araknis systems or are there benefits to SnapAV I shouldn't dismiss?

I've just about ruled out panoramic cameras based on what I've read here. The soffit is only ~8 so I'm thinking PTZ dome cameras are my best bet. What are your thoughts on a separate IR illuminator/flood?

Thanks

SR
Sean Reed
Jan 27, 2017

Looking at the VMS you mentioned. DW Spectrum looks very impressive, but I couldn't find any pricing on their site. Is it subscription based?

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 27, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Their licensing is likely some of the least expensive for how good of an app it really is. You will need a camera license for each camera that you want to record. The license is a one time purchase. It is a perpetual license, meaning you don't pay for upgrades, like most other VMSs. The only VMSs that are less expensive are likely far less capable or simple to use IMO. The same goes for some that are much more expensive. You can download the software and activate a trial. During the trial, you can record up to 4 cameras. After the trial ends, you will need to buy licesnses to continue recording. It is always free to simply live view cameras or view recorded footage archives. You only need a license to record. 

As far as cost, I believe that most end users should expect to pay around $100 per camera license. 

(1)
(1)
Ethan Ace
Jan 27, 2017

DW Spectrum licenses sell for $60-70 online, actually. Less in multi-packs. 

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 27, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I didn't want to be the guy who got screamed at for announcing online prices. 

JH
John Honovich
Jan 27, 2017
IPVM

I didn't want to be the guy who got screamed at for announcing online prices. 

It's on Google for anyone with a pulse and ability to type:

More importantly - our test results of Network Optix / DW Spectrum

SR
Sean Reed
Jan 27, 2017

I blame myself :) 

SR
Sean Reed
Jan 27, 2017

DW Spectrum has several iOS apps. Based on the discussion John H. linked to, it sounds like this app is the currently supported app?

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 27, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Yes that is the most current app that only works with v2.5 or newer. Prior to v2.5, there was a different app. Also, there is another app that allows multi views, but I'm not a fan of that one. 

(1)
SR
Sean Reed
Jan 27, 2017

Any recommendations on a rack-mounted NAS/server/PC that's not too expensive and can run the VMS? I'll have a rack in the media/network closet, so I'd like to rack mount everything I can. 

Everything I've found that's designed for a 19" rack is $2,000+. I could always do something like the DW VMAX and have the AV guys build a rack mount; but I like the clean look of a unit designed for a rack.

NOTICE: This comment has been moved to its own discussion: Any Recommendations On An Inexpensive Rack-Mounted NAS/Server/PC?

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 27, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

We generally have built our VMS servers by hand. I usually have purchased a Lenovo barebone and added storage. However, in order to make them rack friendly, I have purchased a 2u case, PSU, and PSU adapter cable (Lenovo doesn't use 24 pin ATX connections and their PSU has short leads). This sounds expensive, but it is generally inexpensive. However, recently the prices on the Lenovo barebones has risen to the point where it may be more economical to simply buy the MB, CPU, and RAM a la carte. 

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 26, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I wouldn't buy any network gear from Snap if it were up to me. They are great for their AV stuff, especially their Binary brand of extenders, but I wouldn't buy their surveillance or networking gear at all.

Are you sure you need the PTZs? If so, are you planning on installing enough IR to accommodate the entire view of the PTZs? Why not simply choose a PTZ with integrated IR, or better yet, one with super low light abilities that won't need IR at all?

How do you plan on utilizing the PTZs? Set them on tours, use smart tracking, or what? You could afford quite a few more fixed cameras in place of a single PTZ and not have a need for tours, tracking etc...

(2)
SR
Sean Reed
Jan 26, 2017

I was thinking PTZs for flexibility. I would mostly leave them in one position, but I like the ability to "look around". An example is the garage: I was thinking I'd put a PTZ over the gate from the driveway to the backyard. I'd likely leave it pointed at the gate/driveway, but like that I could check things in the backyard if I want. 

My concern with IR is insects. I've had fixed dome cameras with integrated IR before the remodel and bugs and spider webs are a problem. I started looking at stand alone IR emitters based on this section in the IR tutorial::

Bug / insect issues: Integrated IR cameras may attract insects or spiders, which nest/build close to or over the lens of the camera, obscuring the field of view. If this is a problem, a standalone illuminator must be used.

I'd prefer to just use integrated IR, but if it fixes the bug problem, separate illuminators might be worth the trouble.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 26, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Miss Muffet's Revenge is all you need

(1)
SR
Sean Reed
Jan 27, 2017

I wasn't aware of MMR. I mistook your advice for a play on words :)

Thanks for the tip. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions