Subscriber Discussion

Surveillance Design Certification

Oleksiy Zayonchkovskyy
Sep 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

To be or not to be...

I just opened NICET certification page following some links from SIA and discovered that they offer two courses and certification on surveillance:

Video Security Systems Technician and Video Security Systems Designer.

1) Does anybody get any of those and what are your opinion compared to IPVM...

2) To IPVM. Does IPVM plan to create separate design certification course based on security best practices? I'd like to attend it.

3) For the entire community. If someone would like to attend deep design course with case studies and so on, please state your position and may be we all can motivate IPVM to create it. Thanks in advance...

(3)
Armando Perez
Sep 21, 2016
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

Anything that makes my team better at what they do we will be interested in. technicians, sales, design, business, anything. Having done the IPVM video course and having some of my team do it, I wouldnt hesitate to do an IPVM design course and require atleast two of my team members do it as well. Im going to check out the NICET certs tho too.

Joel Kriener
Sep 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Who recognizes this certification? Is it a nationally (US only) or internationally recognized?

Thank you

Oleksiy Zayonchkovskyy
Sep 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Based on profile and name itself:

National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) it is US based not commercial organization. As for the certification I am out of US and I've saw it the first time a few days ago surfing SIA site for Security Project Management. I think that it is US only certification but knowledge provided can be valuable. That is why I've asked the question to the community.

Ralph Azzi
Feb 06, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Hello oleksiy,

SIA site for security project management means physical security project management ?

Do you recommend this training for engineers and project managers in the physical security industry ?

Oleksiy Zayonchkovskyy
Feb 06, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Hi Ralph,

I didn't passed CSPM exam or even start to learn to get the certification, thus I can not recommend it directly, but I have few people around in security industry who are proud of having it working at CIO and CSO positions.

As for the security, I think it should fit physical security as well as informational security. The main concept is to add security specifics to project management and some limitations and concepts. Thus certification should not be targeted at physical security but should be useful for security managers and installers. 

Ralph Azzi
Feb 06, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Good day, 

For the CSPM, I am already a PMP-PMI certified since 2016.

My concern is more on the SIA security project management training 2.5 days, because I work in the physical security projects as a solution architect and project manager.

i wanted to get some reviews on this specific 2.5 days from SIA.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 22, 2016
IPVM

Oleksiy,

Thanks for asking!

For video, I rarely hear about NICET certifications, maybe once a year. My outsider understanding was that NICET is big in fire systems / certification but not much in video.

Looking at their reference materials, they are really really old. Of course, it makes a difference because how you design systems today has changed with the rise of super high resolution, fisheyes, multi-imagers, etc.

As for creating our own course - a more advanced design one - I think that is a good idea! We will certainly consider it for 2017.

(3)
Oleksiy Zayonchkovskyy
Sep 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Great! Thanks!

MC
Marty Calhoun
Sep 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

John-

An interesting note that will surely amuse you. When working in Nashville Tennessee I had the opportunity to meet Howard Konstamm, very patient intelligent gentleman. He helped write the majority of the NICET VIDEO certification project back in the day and offered at the time the only real Video Training classes that were worthwhile in several states. Owned his own video installation company also.

He now works for.....HIKVISION

JH
John Honovich
Sep 23, 2016
IPVM

Marty, thanks. I know Howard, good guy. I am aware he has been working at Hikvision for some time now.

Interestingly, and sadly for NICET, SIA still lists his and Vlado's study guide from 2009, which you can imagine is way outdated now. Worse, SIA still sells it for $50...

TC
Tim Cook
Oct 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Other than the NICET certifications you have already addressed, which other ones would you guys at IPVM recommend currently?

Just a note, I already have the IPVM Advanced Video Surveillance and Networking certifications.

Any of the other ones out there worthwhile?

How about the Wireshark Networking cert.?

Any response about this one?

Thanks!

Ralph Azzi
Feb 06, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Wireshark is must for advanced IP video surveillance troubleshooting !

go for it for sure !

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions