Surveillance Cameras Spreading In NYC Residences

JH
John Honovich
Oct 05, 2013
IPVM

The NYTimes has a feature story on the expansion of surveillance cameras in NYC residences. Here's a few choice quotes:

• "Increasingly, [surveillance] equipment is becoming part of building 'décor.'"
  • "Security rules, and privacy concerns go out the window — the one with the camera attached. Big Brother, come on over and bring your friends."
  • "Condo and co-op boards are governed by the so-called business judgment rule. 'If they feel video surveillance equipment is necessary somewhere,' he said, 'generally that decision shouldn’t be challenged.”
  • "But brokers and marketing brochures are unlikely to bring up the fact that a building has cameras here and cameras there. “Mentioning safety and security can be, as much as any, a red flag to potential buyers. They’ll think, ‘Oh, are there problems with crime around here?’"
  • "American Security Systems, estimates that a full surveillance system costs a building between $3,000 and $20,000, depending on whether it’s necessary to run pipes for the wiring."
  • "The resident manager of a co-op in the East 50s: 'There have been stickups on the street and I had beautiful pictures and the police were able to catch the guys. Detectives will call me fairly often and give me the time frame of an incident and I start reviewing the video.'"
  • "When a pedestrian fell in front of the co-op, and sued the building for $8 million, things looked bleak. 'But the surveillance camera on the perimeter of the building had recorded what happened,” he said, “and the judge threw the case out.'"
Marty Major
Oct 05, 2013
Teledyne FLIR

"American Security Systems, estimates that a full surveillance system costs a building between $3,000 and $20,000, depending on whether it’s necessary to run pipes for the wiring."

Do these folks understand what an acronym is?

Ari Erenthal
Oct 06, 2013
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Security Systems of America was already taken.

Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 06, 2013
Pro Focus LLC

Pipes for the wiring? Awesome

Luis Carmona
Oct 07, 2013
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

That picture in the article with the 4 cameras, the one with dome on an outside wall with conduit going directly into the home housing I'm going to us as an example of a bad camera install.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions