Subscriber Discussion

Surge & Lightning Suppression Recommendations Needed

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jan 28, 2016

What are your "go to" products for surge suppression/protection? I'm not here to solicit my products (unless you'd like my $0.02); I would just like to know what people are using and their experiences... Disclosure: I rep some surge suppression products.

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Coax Vs Cat 5e In Lightning Prone Areas

Brian Rhodes
Jan 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Here is a background guide on the topic of surge/lightning protection:

Lightning Protection for Surveillance Cameras

And here is a related discussion we previously, with some general recommendations:

Lightning Protection - Single And Multi Port Options?

U
Undisclosed
Jan 28, 2016

recommendation 1: do it. before some hacker teaches you that a taser (or "bear stun gun") can send a shock up a copper data line and take out an entire switch.

recommendation 2: check price range. I've seen everything from $8 to $50 a port to put lightning suppression on cat 5.

recommendation 3: figure out when to replace it. once ever 5 years? after the first lightning hit? after the first season of lightning hits? Is it like an airbag (replace after first use) or is it like a bulletproof vest (replace after first use or -x- years, whichever comes first.)

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

recommendation 1: do it. before some hacker teaches you that a taser (or "bear stun gun") can send a shock up a copper data line and take out an entire switch.

Agree do it.

But don't think that this will protect you from the hackers taser.

Tasers deliver electricity with their own floating ground and return path built-in, hence the two darts. This return path is much lower impeadance than the path to soil, therefore the effectiveness of divert-to-ground suppressors on a directly connected taser potential say across pins 1,2 is severely limited. Opto-couplers are a better choice, if one is actually concerned about such vectors.

(1)
U
Undisclosed
Jan 30, 2016

Useful feedback, thank you. Usually integrators just tell me the suppressor was too expensive to add ("too expensive" meaning >0.00 dollars.)

jo
jason oneal
Jan 28, 2016

U1M, what are your recommendations and why? I have been reading all of the discussions here for a while and I am still not clear as to the best products/practices.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jan 28, 2016
Jason, I've asked Mr Honovich to forward you my contact info.
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions