Subscriber Discussion

Suggestions On Wireless Project? Rough Camera Design Included

TM
Tom McVey
Jun 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I am working on a project for a sportsman's club.  They are wanting a wireless solution to cover several key areas at their location.  The gun range is just out of site and may be challenging due to terrain and trees.  There is a power pole by the water that may be used as a bridge for wireless.  They want to be able to talk to the gun range through the cameras.  The parking lot has been vandalized and they want to get a shot of the license plate and identifiable view of the driver.  The pool needs to be covered for identification purposes.  Also there is a point where they want people driving through to be identifiable with a license plate shot.  The design I have is a bit rough right now.  I need to do another site survey.  I have included the link if you want to take a look.

Please feel free to offer suggestions and point out better designs.  Also what wireless would you choose?  I don't have a supplier for that yet but have been considering Ubiquiti or Engenius.

Thanks,

Tom

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 27, 2017

gun range will need either a powerful antenna or a high mounted antenna, or both. But this is entirely achievable with 4 engenius bridges and one access point on a multidirectional antenna.

edit: completely ignoring topography in my reply above. 

TM
Tom McVey
Jun 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks for the reply.  The gun range is the biggest challenge.  I am lucky enough to have power at all the locations.  From the gun range I can see the power pole on the west side of the water, directly across from the shelter.  I marked it on the map with a title.  My worry is the foliage.  Does anyone have an idea on how to test the bridge?  There is power that will be able to run the cameras but they aren't putting them in unless we can make it work.  I would like to find a way to test the bridge before installation. Ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

SR
Samuel Rodgers
Jun 27, 2017

For wireless testing we typically use a battery pack we use for cameras that outputs PoE (for ubiquiti, need an adapter to convert to 24v passive poe), or a vehicle with an inverter.

UI
Jun 28, 2017

this.

same converter required for engenius.

TM
Tom McVey
Jun 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The picture or link didn't post.

UI
Jun 28, 2017

I was agreeing with Samuel Rodgers. same one he linked to.

U
Undisclosed #3
Jun 29, 2017

Topology

Use Google Earth --- Then drop person icon onto the ground

Gun Range - Looking towards lake:

38°29'26.77" N  81°56'18.37" W

Gun Range:

38°29'25.49" N  81°56'16.56" W

Lake and Power Pole:

38°29'35.19" N  81°56'22.46" W

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 27, 2017

Talk to the guys at KBC about your scenario. They have a very experienced design group.

U
Undisclosed #3
Jun 29, 2017

Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex...To The Rescue! Look up the PTP600 (giyf). I really wish Ubiquiti would start an OFDM engineering department so we can DIY bench test. If you have the money; reach out to a PTP600 dealer.

Have you thought about the lighting conditions out there? Perhaps you can run a small recorder at the gun range (intel NUC 1TB) and even 4G Verizon cradlepoint as a light duty backhaul and to email after hours activities/triggers/alarms. This all depends on camera type, view and analytics. Also...bullet proof housings, hint, hint.

You should still try and field test the engenius and ubiquiti if you have the equipment on hand, after looking at Google Earth...well uh it sounds like a lot of fun. Good Luck!

(1)
Jeffrey Hinckley
Jun 29, 2017

Looks fairly wide open.  Using a Prism radio with omni at the office, elevated, and nanobeam19s should work fine.  I always use a small ups in a gym bag for link testing.  Get 2 nanobeam and test in ptp mode from ground level as a worse case.  Remember that connecting 48v poe to radios (most i know of use 10-24vdc, except wifi radios, which are normally poe) will fry them.  Ubiquiti has a module you can use to change 48v to 24v for their radios, which i usually use for ip installations (this way i can monitor and reboot through my managed switches).

UD3, I am not understanding the ofdm comment above.  ofdm has been integral in radio design since 802.11a and 803.11g was released 15 years ago.  Not sure how an engineering department for ofdm can assist you, or why this comment is relevant.

As far as audio through the cameras, would it not be better to have ip phones with paging and intercom at these sites?  I still have some AAstra venture ip phones i bought many years ago that do not require a central ip pbx, which include built in paging and phone.  You can call any other site at any time.  You can also get a phoneline gateway, if needed.  I am sure there are similar products on the market nowadays.  You really need to investigate exactly how they wish to use this feature.  

(1)
TM
Tom McVey
Jul 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Sorry.  Was offline for a bit of a break.  They want to be able to hear someone at the gun range talking and be able to talk back.  Sometimes members will forget to sign in and they want to be able to talk to them.  Other times they want to be able to tell people that they are not allowed to be there.  

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions