Subscriber Discussion

What Tools Are Absolutely Necessary For Successful CCTV Technicians?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Feb 21, 2015

Everyday I'm amazed at how unprepared/illequiped some technicians are to troubleshoot an IP Camera system. What tools do you guys/gals deem ABSOLUTELY necessary for any SUCCESSFUL IP Camera technician/installer/programmer? I'd like to think this would be for a very well-rounded individual that does everything from install/troubleshoot the wire, camera, switch/network infrastructure, and VMS (programming, loading cameras, etc).

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Feb 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Here are some of the things I can easily see being routinely used by a 'top tech':

• 4' stepladder
  • 8'-12' stepladder
  • Easy Access to a 20' Extension Ladder (can be shared)
  • Wirestrippers
  • Linemen's Pliers
  • Needlenose Pliers
  • Diagonal Cutters ('Dykes' for the crude)
  • Punchdown Tool
  • Flashlight on a headband
  • Flashlight you can hold
  • Lots of screwdrivers and sockets
  • Multimeter (Voltage meter for sure)
  • Continuity Tester (Grounding & Bonding)
  • At least one Electric Drill/driver.
  • A hammerdrill. More amps the better.
  • Enough batteries, bits, and drivers to keep it going if one gets broken or lost.
  • 30' measuring tape
  • Sawzall
  • Rotozip or drywall saw
  • Utility Knife
  • Switchblade (just kidding)
  • RJ45 8P8C termination/crimper tool
  • One for F-Style BNC terminations also
  • Network Tester/Verifier at least (Wiremapping Needed)
  • Laptop running Windows (sorry Mac fanbois) running decent resolution (not an 800 X 600 junker)
  • 5 port PoE Switch
  • A bangload of patch cords. At least 6, at least 2 crossover cables.
  • At least two really long Cat5e/6A preterminated cables, like 100' or more.
  • Electrical Tape
  • Cable Labels/Sharpie or Labeler
  • Maybe a Wire Toner
  • Dremel Tool
  • Outdoor, Heavy Guage Extension Cords
  • Veracity PinPoint or PointSource (or similar)
  • Steel Fishtapes
  • Set of pushrods. The kind that glow on the end are awesome.
  • Glass Cleaner and Cotton Rags
  • A dental mirror (just trust me - inspecting the backs of devices is common)
  • USB Thumbdrive
  • A smartphone, with the numbers of all vendor tech supports & magic passwords/support numbers stored in memory. And GPS maps/email/SMS & Picture texting turned on. Internet tethering or mobile hotspot option is a nice-to-have.
  • The Cell/Business/Home Phone number/Email address of every technician, PM, and Engineer you work with.

-and finally-

• Membership to IPVM (Discussion Forum, for real)
(5)
(4)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Why the multiple preterminated 100' cables? Troubleshooting?

Brian Rhodes
Feb 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Yes. Under the precept of 'divide and conquer', you can eliminate (or zero-in on) entire legs of potential causes by bypassing them. If you're troubleshooting a camera problem, sometimes isolating the issue between the camera and the switch or VMS server means you need a long run of cable.

Invariably, if you need 60', you'll only have a 50' cable. :)

RS
Robert Shih
Oct 10, 2016
Independent

Sounds like a corollary of Murphy's Law.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Has your list of tools grown over the years, or have you been able to eliminate items or use multitools?

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Feb 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Undisclosed B,

For me my tool back hasn't gotten any lighter yet there are tools that I haven't used in many years such as mechanical coax stripper and crimper yet I still continue to keep them in my pouch for some reason unknown...

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Feb 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I agree with Brian (and judging by his response he had been waiting for someone to ask that question :) )... a general journeymans tool kit works well plus all the other networking tools that would be necessary... when technicians are missing tools it drives me crazy and unfortunately it seems to happen all to often...

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Feb 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I still have a toolbag in my car or daily use most of this stuff. (sans ladders)

Why? Because any time a friend or family member has a low voltage system/networking problem of any kind, who do they call?

You people know exactly what I mean.

(4)
jo
jason oneal
Feb 21, 2015

Brian included a USB thumbdrive in his comprehensive list. I am curious as to what software tools you all keep with you. I have all of the various device finders for the cameras I normally install as well as Angry IP Scanner. Are there any more suggestions to load onto the thumbrive?

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Feb 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Jason,

For me it is a camera finder, teamviewer, company logos (for desktop backgrounds), controller scanner for access control.

Gyver Wong
Oct 12, 2016

In my opinion, software tools should be included nmap, wireshark, putty, notepad++, onvif device test tool, vlc, kmplayer, eve media player, angry ip scanner, process explorer, softperfect connection emulator, tight vnc, teamviewer.

AW
Amos Wipf
Feb 21, 2015

Small level in the tool bag. Got to maintain the non-trunkslammer reputation.

A chisel, amazing how often you have to notch out some trim or remove some blips of rubbish on a wall before mounting something.

Wireshark on the laptop. Only way to figure out what is actually going on when trying to troubleshoot integration issues.

This may be less needed but I have to have a USB to serial converter in the laptop bag. Use this for troubleshooting managed switches, managed UPS's etc. Of course you then have to have Hyperterm or some other terminal emulation program.

(3)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Oct 10, 2016

What programs or apps do you guys/gals deem ABSOLUTELY necessary for the following types of installs: IP camera, network switches/routers, wLAN/wireless APs, and access control products? Let's cover Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, and Android, please.

My entries:

Wireshark (Windows)

Advanced IP Scanner (Windows)

ONVIF Device Manager (Windows)

WiFi Analyzer (Android)

RS
Robert Shih
Oct 10, 2016
Independent

I find that many jobs tend to be...multifaceted. Be prepared to be fighting malware, updating drivers, and cleaning registries just to get to your intended purposes on site.

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Oct 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Triplett 8071

Platinum RJ45EZ crimpers

FLUKE METER

Nippers

5 Port POE Switch and a shitload of CAT-5 cords

Expensive LAPTOP (No cheapies)

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 12, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Ok, I'll bite! What are nippers?

MC
Marty Calhoun
Oct 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This is a pair of Nippers that we provide, long lasting, very sharp, and Made in Vietnam actually.

Nip Nip Nip Nip Nip

(1)
RS
Robert Shih
Oct 19, 2016
Independent

Aren't Wihas supposed to be German?

Ethan Ace
Oct 12, 2016

What do you consider an "expensive" laptop? How do you qualify that vs. a cheapie?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Oct 12, 2016

Apple logo?

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Oct 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We provide technicians with ALL tools. I try to keep everyone up to date with quality products as I expect what I consider to be a "good days work for a good days pay". So if you give them the best of the best tools that you feel are necessary, it falls on the technicians qualifications to provide the rest. As of late we have found the Triplett 8071 to be faster than using HIKVISION SADP to set up cameras. But laptops are still needed so here is a pic of what we have provided:

I have been told that the Aluminum case is all one piece of material. It is the Dell Inspiron i7 7000 series laptop. ASUS or LENOVO are at the bottom of the stack-You get what you pay for.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Oct 16, 2016

I've been running around with a Lenovo "bottom of the stack" and have comissioned probably a hundred systems with it. It's used as a service laptop for everything and even use it to run demos in customer conference room big screens. Gets the job done just as quickly as an expensive laptop for what we are doing with it and if it falls off the ladder or the box or makeshift shelf I'm trying to use it on and something goes wrong...oh well. So I don't see any need to spend $700 or more on a service laptop when a $299 special will do the same thing for our needs. Put the $500 in your pocket and outfit your tech with the rest of their equipment. If you have a tech that isn't going to respect his equipment or there is just a simple accident then the end result will be the same. As for the rest of the tools anybody we hire has to provide their own hand tools. Anybody that is worth hiring should have already acquired these along the way.

(1)
(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Oct 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

You are right, many should acquire tools along the way, and many do just that.

We have been hiring guys out of trade school and training them from the ground up and it is working out well. That was what I was mainly referring to, sorry.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Oct 10, 2016

Ethernet coupler

HDMI cables & HDMI coupler

USB mouse

(1)
GF
Gerald Fowler
Oct 11, 2016

Couple of things i dont see.I have an inspection camera el cheapo one does job for inspecting wall cavities to avoid electrical cables,used it couple times.Also a simple wire coat hangar comes in handy for fishing wires and fishing for fish tape in difficult places.Curved chisel real good too.

(1)
John Scanlan
Oct 12, 2016
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

For low count wire drags & trouble tickets I always kept a pocket size telescoping fish pole / wire reacher on me. They are dirt cheap and saved me from repositioning a ladder/lift on countless occasions....because you will always be just out of reach.

(1)
(2)
GF
Gerald Fowler
Oct 13, 2016

Other items that are a must are those dust masks for up in attics and assortment of 18 inch wood drill bits and metal bits.The step bits are a must also and a hydraulic hole punch for metal enclosures.

(1)
Sean Nelson
Oct 13, 2016
Nelly's Security

If your going to be installing an IP camera system, bring a dadgum laptop. We get calls in from guys needing support on a system and we ask if we can teamviewer into their computer, their response "I didnt bring a computer with me". WOW! I know I wont offend those customers either as I know if they wont waste their time bringing a laptop onsite, they probably arent going to waste time with an IPVM membership.

(1)
(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 13, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Chinese-to-English Dictionary

(3)
(2)
Gert Molkens
Oct 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Me :-)

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #5
Oct 14, 2016

A solid understanding of TCP/IP subnetting and general networking. The amazing amount of installers that have transitioned from the analog camera days to IP without taking the time to learn the necessary fundamentals of these is discouraging.

(3)
Jeffrey Hinckley
Oct 15, 2016

The term CCTV in relation to IP cameras baffles me, where the term is used in the field continuously to refer to video surveillance. Definitions seem to be all over the map, but it is my understanding that this refers to analog closed circuit television. The tools above refer to IP Cameras, but the question referred to CCTV technicians.

Has it become fact that the two are one and the same, or is this an old fashioned term that we have carried into the network based solution area.

Maybe I am continuously correcting colleagues and others incorrectly with this terminology. Instead of IPVM this should be CCTVM?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified
MC
Marty Calhoun
Oct 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I agree that we need an "update" ion terminology from CCTV. This industry has grown past that phase. Vidicon and Nevicon days are GONE.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Vidicon and Nevicon days are GONE.

I used to attend Vidicon whenever I could. Nice show. Never made it to Nevicon...

MC
Marty Calhoun
Oct 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Vidicon is a type of TUBE that we regularly replaced in cameras.

Same with Nevicon, so friend I am not sure what you are referring to there?

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I have read my Vlado cover to cover, so I'm aware.

I figured some others wouldn't mind an explanation though, thanks! :)

Gerrie Swart
Oct 17, 2016

Just something I've found that saves a heap of grief is a wallscanner.

It usually the wall that has nothing in it according to the client/electrician/plumber, that you decide not to scan... that causes you to sit waiting for the plumber to pitch to fix the leak.

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

It usually the wall that has nothing in it according to the client/electrician/plumber, that you decide not to scan...

Related: Murphy's Laws Of The Security/Surveillance Industry!

RS
Robert Shih
Oct 17, 2016
Independent

Funny how my topic gets referenced twice in this topic when this was the topic that inspired me to make it in the first place.

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 17, 2016

I see the HoloLens from Microsoft being a very important tool for technicians in a couple of years.

Check out this example video from an elevator company:

(2)
RS
Robert Shih
Oct 17, 2016
Independent

Any technician who needs that to tell them how to do their job... isn't. And wow, when we get to that point do we all move to desk jobs or retire if we can't politely explain and demonstrate our trade remotely? Forget "those who can't, teach" now it's even if if you can, no one will pay for you to do it when they can easily have someone else teach them and show them with fly-by-wire interfaces. Most likely that means every one of us will slowly be paid even less. Welcome to the new Geek Squad!

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Any technician who needs that to tell them how to do their job...

Agreed. Same goes for the Internet, my Dad didn't need it, why do I?

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 18, 2016

Sorry to disagree but this is coming sooner than you think. Hololens Development Edition is available now. If you manage large security systems, having all the system info right in front of you with both hands-free to work is a huge advantage.

RS
Robert Shih
Dec 16, 2016
Independent

For professionals out in the field, I see the Atheer Air as a more viable tool for a fly-by-wire HUD. I could see guides, but I would really hope that companies with the kind of budget to buy this kind of equipment for their team members (at least for field managers) we could look at outlining cable and wiring and blueprints in real time and perhaps collect and track data from connected stud detectors and things like that. Definitely camera FOV overlays.

Maybe it could also connect to a cloud managed switch for increased functionality.

Generally, I really don't want it to migrate into a system that takes the professionals off the field entirely.

(1)
RS
Robert Shih
Oct 19, 2016
Independent

What's the opinion on the MagnePull?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions