Subscriber Discussion

Suggestions For Help Desk Software

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 18, 2018

Hi.

I'm looking for helpdesk softwares that should record all the clients names when they report the problem, actions and time by taken by the engineer - etc.

It's for our own Internal records only.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 18, 2018
IPVM

#1, we don't have an integrator survey on this but I've queued it up. In the meantime, I am sure others will have info to share. Thanks for asking this.

U
Undisclosed
Feb 18, 2018

zendesk or something like that.  9 bucks a month a seat.  not a perfect fit but instantly available.

RM
Ryan Marquart
Feb 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Solarwinds Web Help Desk

DR
Dennis Ruban
Feb 19, 2018

Zendesk. I researched this topic, tried a lot of different ones, compared and picked Zendesk.

Also I'd suggest to take some ITIL/ITSM online course just to understand how it supposes to be organized.

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 19, 2018

We looked at Zendesk but wanted something with better integration with invoicing, time tracking, RMM, CRM, remote support software and more.  Connectwise has everything in one package which is why we when with them.  Something to think about if you plan to scale.

DR
Dennis Ruban
Feb 19, 2018

zendesk has the best integration - over 600 apps

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Feb 19, 2018

Connectwise has all these functions built-in to the same platform plus they intergrate with systems.

JG
Jason Gould
Feb 19, 2018

I'll mention a software called RepairShopr. I stumbled across this a while back and tested it. Really liked it and everything it offers. I think it is really useful for small/medium shops that handle any type of repairs and customer communication like probably a lot of people around here. I won't bother going through all it does, just go check it out and I think you'll like it.

I've run successful IT help desks using the free Spiceworks software for many years. Ran the self hosted version onsite (they now have a free hosted version as well).

Another popular option that is free and flexible is osTicket. All Linux based. Was actually prominently used in the show Mr Robot in season 1.

It's been a while since using it for me but I think OTRS is always a worthwhile look. It's super flexible and has a free version. It can be used for way more then just IT ticketing.

Personally I don't like zendesk and other similar options. I find them overly expensive for what they are. And there are a TON of free and cheaper options that I feel do more. But zendesk is very "simple".

Mark Jones
Feb 19, 2018

If it is for internal use only, You can build a database from MS Access for free.  It will do whatever you want.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 19, 2018

As an engineer I spend more time wiping the tears our of my eyes from laughing so hard at all the requests. This sounds like management wants to micro manage.

If you want to manage an engineer it takes one to know one(how we think). If you simply want to track billable time, most engineers have a time journal or personal log they type into daily. We don't just sit at our desks and think about hot air balloons passing by. A good engineer will log everything he/she does, good luck getting that data if you are just a simple manager/business owner.

On a positive suggestive note, some of our customers can open up Service Now portals for ticket tracking, audits with their vetted consultants(integrators, service providers, system dealers of record). Collaboration with your customers can be amazing, they may already have the tools in place to help everyone get along. This also aids with facilities access, network access and IT support.

Service Engineering, good luck with that one buddy.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions