Subscriber Discussion

Suggestions For Creating A Video Analytic System To Monitor Construction Sites

NK
Nav Khosa
Jan 12, 2018

Hi everyone, 

I am very new to IPVM, and have a couple of years experience in the security industry. I am tasked to create a security solution for an upcoming construction site build. I'm wondering if anyone can help me out on the system I am planning to build:

The site as of right now is 200mx100m bare land, plans are to develop office/retail building. The client is seeking a monitored security solution that will deter trespassers, as well as for them to be able to check in and view their site remotely. 

I would like to create a stand alone solution that can be moved around as the site develops, as well one that can be taken down and moved from site to site, so this is my thought:

House the nvr, switch, wireless router (site has no internet) inside the nema enclosure, and mount 2-4 cameras, siren/strobe on the exterior of the box as well as a ptz camera mounted above the box. The whole unit would be pole mounted. 

Then I would have another smaller box on the opposite side of the site with a couple of cameras and siren/strobe. I would connect this set up to the main unit via ubiquiti transmitter (which one?). 

Please let me know if I'm going in the right direction so far!

I would like for this solution to monitored via video analytics, so every time a human/vehicle enters the site, an alarm is sent to a monitoring station where they can then login into the cameras and view what caused the alarm, from there initiating talk down to the trespasser or initiating the siren/strobes. 

I am having troubles figuring out which system/setup can help me accomplish this build. Which part of the system should include the analytics (bandwidth/data conservation important since using 4g wirless router)? Analytics built into the camera, nvr, or server/software based? Some of the products I looked into are the Avigilon h4 series with built in video analytics, Avigilon edge recorder/applicance (only 4 ports though), 3x logic nvr, mobotix, axis perimeter defender. Any suggestions on the components needed and how I should go about building this solutions? Hikvision recently came out with its DeepInMind nvr, however it will be too large to house in the nema enclosure, I need a solution that can be housed in an enclosure, at least 8 cameras, and limited bandwidth/data usage. 

Your input would be very appreciated! Thanks

Brian Karas
Jan 17, 2018
IPVM

Nav -

Solutions like this are often built up on a trailer platform, as the equipment tends to be very heavy and bulky once you finally get everything assembled. Example:

Your basic approach is logical, and similar to what I have seen other integrators do for similar applications. Because this solution is very dependent on getting accurate alarms, and receiving them in a timely manner, I would start from the perspective of which platform offers the best alarm management/routing solution (e.g.: has a good mobile app, integrates with central station software, works on a push model where your units can send alarms as they occur, etc.) and work backwards from there for the other components.

Approximately how many of these units do you think you will be building? Do you have a rough idea of budget/what you can charge? This may help with selecting/rejecting products.

(1)
(1)
NK
Nav Khosa
Jan 21, 2018

Thanks Brian, 

Sorry for the late reply. This solution is for one client who will have multiple sites operating at different times. So I would need to build/install the first system and gain the clients approval for it to be used on the other sites depending on how well it works. 

As for the budget, more emphasis is on building a quality solution that will be effective and last. Thus being said we must also be competitive against other companies offering similar solutions and guard companies. So less that what a guard company would charge and up to par with competitors. Also to note this is for small-medium sized commercial sites not large industrial sites. 

RG
Rosalee Gordon
Jan 17, 2018

Nav, where is your application?  We've solutioned similar needs for our energy customers but so far we're only operating in western Canada.

NK
Nav Khosa
Jan 21, 2018

Hi Rosalee, application is in British Columbia

SB
Steven Ballard
Jan 21, 2018
IPVMU Certified

This is my companies primary focus and has been for the past 7 years.  If your customers continued use of your company depends on you success with the first project, I would not recommend a built from scratch approach.  There are several companies, including mine, that would be willing to sell you a completed product and supply the monitoring.  Please take a look at my web site and if nothing it might give you some ideas.  www.inetsas.com Also, Visualint has good analytics and they now offer a pole mounted solution. You are welcome to contact me to discuss further.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions