Subscriber Discussion

Suggestions For A 1 Door ACS With 8 More Doors With Monitoring Only

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 15, 2018

Just curious .. I have a small project that started out as a 6-door access control project, but because of budgetary issues, has turned into a single door ACS but with 8 more doors to be monitored with door contacts only.  They would like to get email alerts if any of the 8 monitored doors open outside of a user-defined schedule.  There is no requirement for professional monitoring.

I am finding that most ACS systems have aux inputs that can be used to monitor doors without card readers, but I have not seen them allow the Aux inputs (alarms) to be schedule-sensitive. This function of course is more common for intrusion panels.

Is there an easy to use intrusion panel (that isn't DMP) that can allow self-monitoring via email alerts that can also support 1-2 door's worth of access control?  This is a large warehouse and I'd rather not use wireless door sensors even though it could save on the wiring ... changing batteries is not something this client will not likely keep up with.

Don't do much intrusion or use any of the Honeywell/ADI dealer gear, but is this the type of application that is best served with a simple wired intrusion/access panel?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 15, 2018

Do you need the two to be part of the same system?

First thing that came to mind was to use a single door ACS and then use something else for the monitoring and reporting.

I've recently started using products made by ControlByWeb. They have some awesome products that allow a lot of flexibility in our line.

Check out their X-DAQ-8A5-I it has 8 inputs so that should give you what you need. It also has conditional tasks that will allow you to set up the scheduling and emailing that you wanted.

Good luck!

(1)
(2)
UI
Mar 15, 2018

Thanks for the suggestion .. I'll check it out!

Brian Rhodes
Mar 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Is an intrusion system already in place at this site?  If so, what is it?

UI
Mar 15, 2018

There is no intrusion system already in place.  The site is not in the U.S., so that flows into the reason the customer is self-monitoring the system via email alerts and such.

Mark McRae
Mar 19, 2018
Inaxsys Security Systems

Do you mind me asking what country the site is in?

UI
Mar 20, 2018

This project is in the Carribean, but we are in U.S.   We sometimes export systems that are pre-engineered right down to the wiring diagrams and then provide remote support to the integrator there if needed.

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Mar 15, 2018

Could do Open Options (web based using Mercury hardware) with an EP1501 and an MR16IN input board.  The OO guys are pretty good, contact them and see if you can schedule an input event (I bet you can). 

I know you could do it with S2, but for a system that small, you would spend a lot of money just to get it started

UE
Undisclosed End User #7
Mar 20, 2018

S2 would require him taking a class and becoming a integrator, or paying the exorbitant black support level which last I looked was like $5K just for support for a non-integrator.

Campbell Chang
Mar 16, 2018

If you're Euro or APAC based (but I assume you aren't) then Inner Range have their Inception panel.

8 inputs, 4 outputs, 8 readers.

Would do everything you asked except that IR don't distribute into NA.

But if you're super desperate, then I'll bring one to ISCW if you're going.

U
Undisclosed #4
Mar 16, 2018

Bosch can do all of this easily. A B8512G can handle 8 doors of access and a B9512G can handle up to 32 doors of access.Both can handle hundreds of alarm points, and since it's Bosch, should be accessible outside the US just about wherever you need it. 

(1)
John Bazyk
Mar 19, 2018
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Why not DMP? If not DMP, Bosch is your next best option for something like this. 

UI
Mar 19, 2018

Thanks ... not DMP because not everyone can buy DMP .. their sword cuts in both directions!  Bosch sounds like a good fit ... 

Mark Jones
Mar 19, 2018

You might want to consider ICT WX.  It is sold through distribution, has integrated alarm features and a 16 port IO board.  Also has a mobile app if you want data pushed to the end user.

Good luck.

(1)
(1)
UI
Mar 19, 2018

Thanks ... how is support for this product?  I see their U.S. office is out in AZ and their home office is in N.Z.   

Mark Jones
Mar 19, 2018

Pretty good actually.  They have a smaller but eager US presence.  The staff is very knowledgeable on the product, and it works well.  

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Mar 19, 2018

I second ICT - we are in the midst of our third install and it's a great product.

Their GX line is used by many of the grow-ops in Canada for integrated access and security. The WX line has less features, but is pretty cost-effective for your application. The web-interface is pretty handy for smaller jobs.

Support is pretty good and really responsive. I have had to wait up to 15 minutes for support at times, but it's typically a 3-5 minute wait for someone. I believe US support is in Quebec with English-speaking people.

Best of luck!

(1)
Mark McRae
Mar 19, 2018
Inaxsys Security Systems

Disclaimer: we distribute ICT products in Canada and in Europe

ICT's US office is in Denver. In the US, they sell direct-to-dealer. In Canada and many other countries, it is sold through distribution (ADI, Tri-ED, Anixter or others).

The WX is perfect for what you describe. The absolute best feature for what you describe is that the WX can do what are called "Virtual Doors". You can take any input on the system (so any zone at all, no matter on what module it is located) and assign it as the "status input" for a virtual door.

Then do the same thing with a REX connected to any input and assign it to the same virtual door.

Then you can take any output at all on the system (a relay or PGM or bell output or whatever; connected to a piezo or sounder) and assign it as the alarm output for door forced open or held open and you have full door processing of events without having to use expensive door expanders. You can even have the input of the REX bypass the door contact so the piezo doesn't sound on a valid exit, just as it would if it was connected to a door expander.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Mar 19, 2018

Sounds perfect for Feenics. It's cloud hosted, email and text notifications are included. You only pay a hosting fee for readers, so you wont be paying monthly for the eight doors with monitoring only.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions