Subscriber Discussion

Suggestion: Vote On Shootout Images?

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
May 12, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Anybody think it would be cool to be able to vote or rank the images in a shootout panel on pure image quality? (Like with some little button above or below each image)*

I wonder if we all would agree? When we don't, it might invigorate more discussion, especially with new members who might not be aware of what they are looking at.

Plus it would be interesting to see if we are in sync with the IPVM line.

John, I know your concern might the fear that assigning a score to a test reduces the test to nothing but that score, but in this case since the score would not be shown until someone has decided to make their own evaluation, I think the increased interaction with the test would prevent that.

*Using the voting, polling, or quizzing libraries.

(12)
JH
John Honovich
May 12, 2015
IPVM

Consider:

Vote:

JH
John Honovich
May 12, 2015
IPVM

"John, I know your concern might the fear that assigning a score to a test reduces the test to nothing but that score"

No, my fear is that manufacturers may use this in marketing, which causes me grief and forces me to fight with them to stop it.

There you go. Try the experiment.

(2)
TC
May 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Good example image, anyone that comes up with a different answer than the herd should ask why.

Other panels are less clear, like the 10 at top right. In any event, I still scrutinized the 3 images more than I did the first time I saw them, so that's a plus, right?

As for the promotional misuse, I see your point but would ask, are these typically repeat offenders? Or just eager new members of new manufacturers, that can be quickly brought in line? I would imagine it is similar to the challenges you encounter with the surveys, which will rank manufacturers based on which ones integrators voted best, etc.

Thanks for the poll!

Mike Dotson
May 13, 2015
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

A difficult part of this idea is that the definition of 'quality' is for the most part, subjective. Folks will weight different aspects of the image in a different order (for example..color over sharpness) and we end up with a mixed quality result.

This is probably why there is not a 'standard' by which an IP camera manufacturer can measure themselves against...although there are some places that perform this kind of work (no affiliation) such as VidiLabs.

TC
May 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Good Point, Mike.

So one might value always color fidelity over sharpness. Maybe without even being aware that others would not. Choosing differently than most might prompt one to discover why. Or maybe just argue...

What do you use VidiLabs for?

Mike Dotson
May 13, 2015
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

We dont use VidiLabs...it was simply a reference example.

JE
Jim Elder
May 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Why don't you mix the images up and do not reveal the manufacturer until all the votes are in? I would think that many of the readers would have preferences if for no reason other than cost. Once you invest in that manufacturer and push them to customers, you may tend to assign value that justifies your past selections. You may also get more folks voting on the images.

Just a thought....

(4)
TC
May 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

...many of the readers would have preferences if for no reason other than cost.

Or it being their employer.

Totally agree Jim, hide'em! Then the pressure will really be on...

U
Undisclosed #1
May 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

For a tougher challenge John could let us guess the manufacturer that goes with the images, from the first panel of a shootout. Quarterly award.

Dillabaugh, Erenthal are the obvious favorites to win here.

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 30, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

Wow, I'm humbly grateful for the mention, but I'm not sure that would be an easy task.

TC
May 30, 2015
IPVMU Certified

OK fess-up, anonymously if necessary, who were the two members who liked Hike and why? :)

Jon Dillabaugh
May 30, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I will put myself out there as voting for the Samsung Lite.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions