Subscriber Discussion

Looking For A Box That Will Receive A Stream From A Camera And Re-Encode It For Larger Distribution

GM
Garrett McWilliams
Mar 04, 2017

I'm having problems with overloading streaming cameras with too many clients, or needing to get a different resolution stream than a camera will provide.  Looking for a box that will receive a stream from a camera and re-encode it for larger distribution.  Ideally the box would a dedicated appliance and would do several cameras simultaneously, like 8 or 16.  The NVRs I've worked with don't seem to do this -- they can support many stream clients but there is only one stream view that can consist of any single cam or multi-cam window layout, whatever is on the HDMI monitor output.

Is this a "thing" and if so, what's it called and who makes one?  TIA.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 04, 2017

What NVR are you using?

GM
Garrett McWilliams
Mar 04, 2017

It varies - I am not usually the security company, I'm the automation/integration company.  One security contractor uses Exacq, another uses Hik right now.  Sometimes I run into Dahua.  I would have a fair amount of specification leverage if there's an NVR that does this.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 05, 2017

It is likely Exacq does this  as it is a VMS:

1. Put a seperate workstation in.

2. Run a mobile transcoding server on it.

3. Point it at the recording server.

4. Use this as your connection point to the streams.

As I am not familiar with Exacq I cannot say for certain they have a mobile server, but strongly suspect they do.  If they do not Milestone will fit your needs with a low cost of entry.

Traditional NVRs like Hik/Dahua/Panasonic are limited by their hardware and closed nature.

(1)
GM
Garrett McWilliams
Mar 06, 2017

"Mobile Transcoding Server," thank you! I'll start with Exacq's tech support for the current Exacq job I have, and then go to Milestone. 

U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 05, 2017

S2's Magic Monitor appears to be what you're looking for -- a dedicated appliance that can take information from one system and display it in a certain way.

May not exactly be a viable option for what you're looking for, but you can take a video stream from an integrated system and display it through the Magic Monitor appliance via a network connection anywhere else.

(1)
SP
Sean Patton
Mar 06, 2017

Is this an IP Based system? if so, that "thing" or box is a Layer 3 switch running multicast streaming. The switches would distribute the individual streams to the end device requests (1 to the Server, 1 to the Client at VGA, 1 to another client at 1080P). The server would not need to distribute any outgoing video, unless there was a request for recorded playbackc.

Next you would need a VMS software and cameras that support multicast end to end streaming. I only have experience with multicasting with Genetec with Axis cameras. I have to assume other vendors support it, but its very clean and easy to configure with Genetec with Axis cameras.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Mar 07, 2017

I'm surprised I haven't seen VLC mentioned yet!

DD
Daniel Dollinger
Mar 07, 2017

Since you need flexibility, recommend you go with a product that can handle almost anything and will provide professional support.  Wirecast Pro will be able to provide you this support and flexibility.  It is software, but they will also sell you a pre-built rack units if you want a "box" per say.  Need to use Pro version in order to use IP Camera inputs. 

https://www.telestream.net/wirecast/compare.htm

Jeffrey Hinckley
Mar 07, 2017

One way to do this is a 24/7 stream to youtube.  You can use a software solution (obs, vmix, wirecast), a hardware solution (teredek), or an addon to axis (camviewer).  You can also use a solution such as wowza, livestream, or dacast with the above solutions that can output to various cdn solutions in various resolutions.  This can include facebook live, twitch, etc.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions