Subscriber Discussion

Which VMSes Will Automatically Increase Resolution When Digitally Zooming In Live Feeds?

Michael Ventiere
Oct 05, 2017

Looking for a little help with Genetec, Milestone, and Pelco VMSs. Which, if any, of these VMSs offer automatic increase in resolution when digitally zooming in on live feeds? Put another way: 5MP fixed dome recording at 2MP and monitoring live stream is set to 2MP as well. Which VMSs will automatically increase resolution of live stream to upwards of 2MP as an operator selects and zooms in on a particular camera's scene to improve image quality?

Michael Ventiere
Oct 11, 2017

Commenting to shoot this back to the top. Was this a really dumb question, a really tough question, or a really unclear question? 

I really appreciate any help. 

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 11, 2017

At first glance I thought you might want this. I'm not aware if some VMS actually changes the recording resolution when zooming in, sounds to me like bit of a pain to implement in an efficient way.

It's probably not as helpful to you, but a filter applied to the zoomed in live image to make it look a bit sharper is a feature that does exist. I don't know if the VMSs you mention have such, but I think Avigilon had some sharpening and white-balance adjustment going on when zooming in digitally. That actually helped a bit sometimes, but with high resolution cameras made the scene look somewhat surreal.

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Oct 11, 2017

Hi Michael, I never heared of such a function in a VMS. Of course, it might make some sense in special situations, but I think most people would use motorized cameras and use optical zoom if zooming is important. 

You could configure several streams. 1st: 5MP, 2nd: 1080p, 3rd: 720p (you could record stream 2/3 only to save storage). For liveview, you could use the 1st stream, then you have the full resolution for digital zoom available.

I hope this helps a little bit ☺️

(1)
(2)
GC
Greg Cortina
Oct 11, 2017

FLIR Sales:

This is a standard feature of the FLIR (DVTEL) Latitude product.

It will move from a lower resolution stream to a higher resolution stream as you zoom in, regardless of the view selected.

It’s called “Adaptive Streaming”

Greg

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Oct 11, 2017

Is this something that Salient VMS has as well ... don;t sell Salient but recall their rep  describing something similar and I believe he called it adaptive streaming.  He also said they were about to implement a feature that allowed speeding up the frame rate upon various input states, i.e. motion detection, line crossing, etc.  I know this is a different feature, but I was surprised it was not more common (record at 10 FPS and the jump to 25 FPS upon an alarm state or user-selectable input).

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #4
Oct 17, 2017

But only with FLIR cameras not other vendors

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 11, 2017

Avigilon's HDSM does this with both live and recorded video with little to no setup/configuration in Avigilon cameras or software.  This also now works with 3rd party ONVIF cameras but alittle more setup is involved. Avigilon does not change the resolution of the camera but selects different streams or with HDSM2 only displays parts of the image in full resolution.

(3)
(3)
GC
Greg Cortina
Oct 11, 2017

I can’t just let Michael beat me, so I’ll up the ante. ;)

Available also with Horizon and Meridian, and starting v8.0 in Latitude this feature is also available on the EZ Client web interface with H.264 streaming

“Not only that – it will also adjust it to the size of the viewing tile”

(2)
(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 11, 2017

How many training sessions do people to have to attend to learn how to set everything up :)

(3)
GC
Greg Cortina
Oct 11, 2017

Well, that feature is automatic.

The whole system is a different story and I’m afraid I’m going to run out of chips here in this Poker game.

I am certified however, ask Marty Major or my shrink.  You will get the same answer to the same question with different meanings. 

(2)
GC
Greg Cortina
Oct 11, 2017

I sit corrected. 

After spending several minutes contemplating reading the manual, I was reminded that of course, this is only available with FLIR Enterprise cameras and not other brands.

Just to be clearer than I was on this original post, I didn't actually read the manual, I just contemplated it. 

So, FLIR Enterprise cameras only feature.

Nathan Wheeler
Oct 11, 2017

That has been a standard and core feature of Network Optix for over four years, dating back to v1.4:  V1.4 Release Notes

Resolution and Algorithmic Data Adaptive Streaming System

And yes... It's trademarked as RADASS.  :)

(1)
KE
Kahn Ely
Oct 11, 2017

Luxriot EVO VMS will do this feature for any camera running at least two streams.

The lower resolution stream will be displayed in the standard viewing layout. When you press the digital zoom button on the video tile it will switch to the higher resolution stream from the camera automatically.

(1)
Michael Ventiere
Oct 13, 2017

Thank you all very much for the very helpful input.

AS
Andrew Somerville
Oct 17, 2017

Genetec also supports adaptive streaming based upon the displayed image resolution. Camera has to run at least two streams. For successful implementation you need to have a low key frame interval or else you can be waiting several seconds before the image appears after a change in resolution.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions