Stealing Bottle Water From Supermarkets?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 06, 2017
IPVM

I bought 4 bottles of water today (yes, I know, exciting life).

The cashier carefully placed 'paid' labels on the top of each bottle to which I inquired, "Is that necessary?" She explained that "they check it on the cameras."

Anyone with any idea or experience if supermarkets really check paid stickers on water bottles? I am sure she was not lying but it seems a waste of time to track an item that has such a low value to weight/size ratio.

Also, any other info to share on how paid stickers are used with surveillance cameras?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

She may may not be lying because she honestly believes it. However she may not have been told the truth. 

I agree the cost outweighs the benefit here.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 06, 2017
IPVM

Perhaps they told her that to motivate her to apply the stickers, i.e., that she would be concerned she would be caught not doing so on recorded video. I don't know.

Scott Bradford
Dec 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Having worked retail for a LONG time, this is most likely the case. When I was an employee I was told that loss prevention had cameras hidden all over the store to watch the employees. When I became the manager, I found out that this was only in extreme cases with strong evidence of employee theft and in 10+ years of working there I only heard of one situation where it was actually done.  However, we (the managers) typically told the employees that to scare them into behaving when we weren't around.  It wasn't so much a lie, as it was a stretch. LP never TOLD the managers when they were putting cameras in, so we didn't know for a fact that they were NOT there, but it was highly unlikely.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 06, 2017

Spreading rumors of an all seeing entity with the ability to dole out punishment can do a lot to keep people honest.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

"Is that necessary?"

Not only unnecessary but counter-productive.  Put the paid stickers on the filet mignon or a carton of Pall Mall’s, not on the small stuff.

Or you might as well leave a roll of stickers next to the store flyer.

Brian Karas
Dec 06, 2017
IPVM

I have heard of supermarkets/stores doing things like this when they have had problems with cashiers sweethearting. Placing the sticker on it is a formal acknowledgement that she saw the item and is claiming it was rung up/paid for. Reduces the chances of denying later that items were missed, overlooked, etc.

In your case, I doubt they have had a problem with water bottles, but may have had problems with energy drinks, alcohol, or other higher value beverages, but the policy is enforced broadly for consistency.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Did your sense of environmental responsibility cause you to forego the customary paper and/or plastic bag?

Perhaps items not contained within store provided bags are subject to such measures.

SD
Shannon Davis
Dec 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

When i used to travel a lot there was one truck stop that always put a sticker with the store name on everything you bought. Of course if one wanted to they could just peal off the sticker and re-use it. I agree this seems to be a complete waste of time. The real issue is you just got ripped off paying say a $1 for a bottle of water. One of the biggest scams in the history of mankind in my opinion. :)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions