Statefarm Offers Discount For Canary Alarms

MM
Michael Miller
May 08, 2017
(1)
Brandon Knutson
May 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Yep, but... My Costco/Ameriprise homeowner's policy offers a "Local Burglar Alarm" (self-monitored) policy discount. The discount for a central station monitored system is greater.

(1)
Brandon Knutson
May 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

BTW, my greater discount on local vs. central station monitoring is $4 every six months :( 

Ethan Ace
May 08, 2017

The fine print specifically mentions "Local Burglar Alarm", also:

Homeowners and renters may qualify for the Local Burglar Alarm discount level under the State Farm Home Alert Protection Discount. No documentation of installation is required. Availability and terms of discounts vary by state.

My insurance company offers nothing for self-monitored systems, but I know of a couple friends who get local alarm discounts.

(1)
(1)
LJ
Lee Jones
Jun 05, 2022
Support Services Group

When local alarms.... security by a "reaction to the action"... ie loud bell, siren, horns, lights, etc.

When monitored alarm.... "no reaction to the action"... often silent and police not respond or very slow unless remote witness of 911 threats. Bad guys know it and only need few minutes to do their thing. Greater insurance losses with most monitored alarms that with "local".

The current social unrest is inviting burglary. Upgrade to "remote witness", or "harden the target" with structure resistance. Or use private security response to monitored deterrent alarms.

LJ
Lee Jones
Jun 05, 2022
Support Services Group

Please disregard my sloppy "draft copy" above. It was sent in error. This copy is the edited and correct copy:

Local alarms provide security by a "reaction to the action"... ie immediate loud bell, siren, horns, lights, etc. Most monitored alarms often silent, and police not respond, or very slow, unless remote witness of 911 threats. Bad guys know it and only need few minutes to do their thing. Now, greater insurance losses with monitored deterrent alarms, than with "professional Local and DIY/MIY/DIFY". The current social unrest is inviting burglary. Upgrade to "remote witness interactive monitoring with reliable public or private response"; or "harden the target" with structure resistance.

Observation by: Lee Jones Support Services Group

U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 05, 2022

what's the State Farm discount for installing a remotely-operated flying Axon taser drone in your home?

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions