Subscriber Discussion

State Of The Industry? 30 Year Rep Firm Closing Doors, Couldn't Find A Buyer

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 08, 2016

Got this email today. This firm was one of the best through the years.

[IPVM note: This is posted on their website as well]

Dear Valued Customer,
For the last few years the principles of Murphy & Cota have had a desire to pursue other interests. During this time frame we have not been able to find a way to transition or gracefully exit the industry. We have elected to close our doors as of last Friday August 5th. It is a heartbreaking process for us as our employees have become like family, and we will truly miss working with them. We know that many of you have also enjoyed a great working relationship with them as well.
We will especially miss the relationships with our customers as many of you have been doing business with us for over 30 years. We appreciate the support you have shown us and the willingness to consider the high-quality products we have represented.
To enable as smooth a transition as possible you can address questions to us at...
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 09, 2016

Thats unfortunate. They were a great rep firm and good, knowledgeable people.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We have elected to close our doors as of last Friday August 5th.

That sounds quite abrupt, perhaps even retroactive :(

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Aug 09, 2016

Sad to see. I worked with pierce many times and he is a class act. Tough business to be a rep firm now a days. The glory days of rep firms are over.

(2)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #5
Aug 09, 2016

Manufacturer rep business has been a tough one for many years now, and probably is getting tougher as new Chinese mega-players don't use outside reps.

But still, this abrupt and not fully explained closure is still puzzling to me, just as it is a similar story of CV Reps - I've heard so many versions and rumors, not many of them made any sense.

Adam Messina
Aug 09, 2016
Qumulex

The rep business is still alive. At least I hope it is as I have recently started my own firm. There are a lot of lines that need representation, but the revenue is spread around rather thin. Murphy + Cota is a great group of folks, and I wish them success in their next endeavours.

(2)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Aug 09, 2016

Tough time to be starting a rep firm...

(4)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Why did you do it? What were you doing before?

Adam Messina
Aug 09, 2016
Qumulex

I was running the Northeast video division for TYCO (EXACQ and AD). I am a security industry lifer, and I wanted to own my own business. The barriers to entry for a rep firm are lower than of an integrator (for example.) I was a rep in the past, and saw an opportunity in my market. I am very excited for the future.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If you have the contacts to match your courage, I'm sure you'll do fine. :)

What did you choose for a name?

Adam Messina
Aug 10, 2016
Qumulex

My firm is called ThinkReps. I hope to grow the business and ultimately have equity partners in other geographies, so I wanted to avoid using my own name (ie Messina Associates). I also hope to expand into other technologies so I did not want a name that was too security specific.

Sorry John, this is not an advertisement.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 10, 2016
IPVM

That is fine. Member asked a specific question of you and you answered it.

Any member can display their company's URL under their name as well as upload a photo of themselves.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 12, 2016
IPVM

Karas spoke with Murphy & Cota, here is his post: Lessons From Rep Firm Closing Down

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions