Subscriber Discussion

Sponsored Content At Security Infowatch

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 18, 2015
IPVMU Certified

A piece named "Sponsored Content: How IDIS delivered the future of video surveillance in one complete solution" appeared recently in SIW.

Full of colorful language and self-congratulatory praise, the article clearly makes a strong case for IDIS' rightful inclusion with the industry's most elite spin-doctors and fluffery fabricators. Here's the opener:

At ISC West in April, it was impossible not to notice IDIS. From banners and kiosks announcing the debut of the global player on the American stage, to the dizzyingarray of technology featured at one of the show’s most prominent booths, IDIS—a global surveillance pioneer since 1997, with more than 2.4 million installations worldwide—held a coming out party of epic proportions for the American debut of the IDIS brand business. The manufacturer’s must-attend launch on the show floor set tongues and social media ablaze, with colorful acrobats bringing the company’s reputation for agility, flexibility, and out-of-the-box thinking to breathtaking life...

continuing

The debut...was the culmination of innovation and planning going as far back as 1997, when the company’s founders leveraged a variety of backgrounds, including computer science and artificial intelligence, to take video recording beyond its existing limitations and into the future.

and the money quote

"We’ve changed the game many, many times, and we plan to keep doing it."

I'm not sure people want the game changed that much, others just want to find the game.**

The curious thing is that this piece explicitly has in its title "Sponsored Content", which seems a first for SIW, if a bit superfluous, since I always thought that it was understood.

But either the piece was so vacuous that even SIW could not bring themselves to straight publish it or, maybe SIW is now drawing an ethical line in the sand and we may see many more pieces with this disclaimer. What do you think?

*Caustically renamed "How IDIS paid for a silly fluff piece in a trade mag" by the snickering IPVM spider)

**How Do I Buy Some Game-Changing IDIS?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 18, 2015
IPVM

Outside of the referenced name on the Spider, I was going to ignore this, because (1) SIW does not seem to be well read anyway, and (2) IDIS is still irrelevant in North America.

"The curious thing is that this piece explicitly has in its title "Sponsored Content", which seems a first for SIW, if a bit superfluous, since I always thought that it was understood."

I could not even guess. 90%+ of SIW's video surveillance coverage is press releases anyway.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 19, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Outside of the referenced name on the Spider, I was going to ignore this...

Although the name-change on the game-change was intended to ensure we ignore it as well, it actually may have created a 'roadside accident' type of appeal. I doubt I would have clicked on it had it started with "Sponsored Content"...

Anyway, you're quite knowledgeable about Internet Marketing, what would you guess a page of Sponsored Fluff costs over at SIW? $5,000 - $10,000, more?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 19, 2015
IPVM

For a single article, I think $5,000 to $10,000 would be high. SIW asks $8,500 to sponsor a webinar and that includes multiple emails blasts, lots of mentions of one's company / products during the webinar marketing campaign plus the webinar itself. With that as a benchmark, a single article would be hard to price that high.

That said, IDIS has shown that it is happy to imprudently blow through a lot of money, so who knows what they are willing to pay.

In any event, that article is lucky to get a few hundred total reads as individual SIW articles do not get much traffic. Moreover, sponsored content even in bigger publications do poorly. Here's Avigilon's June 'article' in Forbes - ~1500 reads to date.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions