Subscriber Discussion

How Do I Specify A Door Strike?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 10, 2017

I need to specify some strikes. We have done some access control projects where we put in mag locks or replaced the controller. Now we need to specify door strikes from scratch and it seems like there are tons of options.

Most of these doors are single doors and it seems like the strikes are removable, so cutting should be minimal if any.

Then we have this double door situation with no mullion. The second door remains closed the majority of the time except when residents are moving.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 10, 2017

We have someone that helps us on gates so we will probably get them to help us install these but I need to try to find a lock so I can prepare the bid.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Dec 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We have a good overview guide how to pick strikes: Selecting the Right Electric Strike

In general, that giant catalog of strikes can be narrowed down to a few specific options once you know a few things about the door they are installed in:

1) Type of Frame/Strike Area

2) Type of mechanical door lock/latching device on the door

3) Special door listings/ratings like UL Fire, EX, Fail Safe vs. Fail Secure, and input voltage

4) Color Finishes and ANSI BHMI Grade

We cover this exercise in our Access Class. Here is an example selection sheet from a strike manufacturer:

Once you know those four characteristics, finding the right model is much easier.

The unit installed in the inactive door leaf will likely require a power transfer hinge and wiring run inside the hollow metal shell to power the strike, but otherwise nothing fancy is needed.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions