Subscriber Discussion

Specialty Solutions For H.265 Devices Compatible With Milestone. Audio, Fisheye, WDR With ~UHD

TH
Truman HW
Jan 11, 2018

I can get a Dahua that seems like it will... but I'm just waiting for everyone to tell me that the Dahua top of the line 12MP fisheye sucks. I'd like it to work with Milestone, with Dewarp built in. 

Whats the highest resolution, reasonably priced WDR that isn't a fortune? I'd like it to be 8MP... H.265, and... work with Milestone. 

Whats the best way to record high quality audio  in my store? I wanted to use a Zoom H4n, leave it plugged in to an AC outlet, and then to a camera. This would be excellent quality. But its big, and I have no idea how it would handle being "On" 24/7. What else can I do.... I need a directional mic that records everything the customers say and hear, and AGREE to -- which I'd plug in to a Camera or two to get multiple angles. Suggestions? 

Is it remotely possible for 4k, max quality, cameras to replay recordings with the immediacy of an SSD? I couldn't stand using spinning drives. And after a few weeks, the odds of needing data are infrequent, and thus, worth having on slower/larger drives, like a RAID 6 array. Disagree? 

Thanks!

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jan 11, 2018

**Hanwha Employee**

PNF-9010R series is a 12/8 Megapixel H.265/H.264 Fisheye camera, with builtin mic, audio input, WDR.  Indoor & outdoor models.

https://www.hanwhasecurity.com/pnf-9010r.html

(2)
TH
Truman HW
Jan 15, 2018

Yeah, looks good -- but again, I'm looking for something that in which both the camera and Milestone support -- are Milestone will soon support H.265 for the unit. 

There's only ONE ... (literally) 8MP, H.265 Fisheye supported for Milestone - and that's the Dahua. Do you think that'd be a bad choice? If not, (and I can get it for about $380) ... good, one down, many to go. 

The frustrating part is that if I stuck with a Dahua NVR, and then Dahua cameras I could use H.265 ... as I think the Dahua has the cheapest price for H.265 with 8MP devices capable of 30 FPS. 

But now the trick is going to be how long I should wait for Milestone to "create drivers" for the cameras I'd like to use... and while I rarely lose much trying out security equipment (I tend to sell things for about what I paid by getting things at decent prices)...I was hoping that Milestone's support for H.265 would be a tad bit more flexible, allowing me to choose the products I love. 

:-( 

(Thank you for the feedback)

Cameron Javdani
Jan 11, 2018
Louroe Electronics

Louroe guy here.

The audio integration part is our specialty.  Our mics will connect to just about any camera with an audio input.

A number of potential options are available at https://www.louroe.com/product-category/microphone/

(1)
(1)
TH
Truman HW
Jan 15, 2018

I've been looking for a company like yours, thank you!

I want a Mic + Speaker that work via the networking it'd be proximal to. This way I can bundle it with the video which is already using the IP cabling, etc. 

Do you know of a unit or two that would be pretty good (but not exorbitant) for this?

Thanks again. :) 

Cameron Javdani
Jan 15, 2018
Louroe Electronics

Take a look at the series of product at https://www.louroe.com/product-category/speaker-microphones/speaker-microphones-for-ip-cameras/

These speaker/mic units are designed to connect to IP cameras and use the camera to sync the audio with video and send over a network.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Is it remotely possible for 4k, max quality, cameras to replay recordings with the immediacy of an SSD? I couldn't stand using spinning drives.

Decent “spinning drives” will do random reads at 50MB/s.  A Dahua camera is not likely to stream over 25Mb/s. 

TH
Truman HW
Jan 15, 2018

Yup, and if there's one thing I'm versed in, it's dealing with bits vs. bytes, as that's something I have to explain regularly. 

I don't believe it was an issue of throughput, and further, as I never looked at the file sizes that the Dahua NVR's truncated files to, I wouldn't even know which file size to perform the speed test and IOPS tests to check the health of the drives (and speed) nor their IOPS; which for all I know, could be more important. I do however know, that switching to 7200 RPM was PAINFUL in comparison to even just an EVO 840.

Of course, there really are too many factors to evaluate what the bottleneck was without doing experiments -- with my limited knowledge of surveillance systems. 

I could try using 1 spinning drive per camera (only 5 cameras are working! right now, because the freaking Milestone refuses to acknowledge my Bosch Fisheye. 

For reliability and long(er) term storage, irrespective of performance, I was going to use iSCSI via our local NAS to back everything up. 

Just to beat the dead horse... spinning drives suck! Under 1000 IOPS. SSDs do 90,000+ nowadays. I might just pay the price and fill my Milestone server up with 8TB (4x 2TB SSD) for short term storage... and use my NAS, which will be like 24TB for long term. Perhaps 20FPS for iSCSI/NAS ... and 30FPS for SSD.  

(I now have another question for the group which I'll make another post for)...

At what bitrate do I

1. start losing noticeable quality with H.264s bitrate?
2. decrease the life-span by making the SoC/Processor over-work?
3. what would you guys typically regard as optimal? 

I can increase the duration of my storage... but I'd rather buy more hard drives than burn out cameras... or get crappy images in playback. 

How do I know the optimal bitrate for the cameras I have...so I don't over-work them by making them work harder trying to compress data to a higher degree all day -- when these things don't (to my knowledge) have fans in them...

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I could try using 1 spinning drive per camera (only 5 cameras are working!

Related: Does Anyone Do Recording With Each Camera Assigned To Its Own Drive(S)?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions