Subscriber Discussion

Spec For Wooden Structure Construction Site

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Oct 12, 2017

Hi, we have been putting together surveillance on construction sites at different levels, with varying results. Does anyone have a detailed spec they submit to insurance companies for tenders? More specifically we are looking on behalf of the insurance industry, they want something that is not too expensive to deter the business they are writing, but detailed enough that cousin Bob who knows how to wire, and has an Amazon membership to buy cameras, can't qualify. Thanks,

Brian Rhodes
Oct 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Spec includes a fire alarm system? I am curious why wood vs steel vs concrete makes a difference on the way construction sites are monitored.

GC
Greg Cortina
Oct 12, 2017

Brian, 

I think this questions refers to the protection of the structure during construction.  Maybe not.  Here are a couple of articles that I believe are the root cause.

This 7 Story building was framed in wood.  Yep, wood.  Here is what it looked like after an arsonist set it ablaze three years ago:

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-downtown-fire-20141209-story.html

Here is an article detailing the penalty that was sought and what was paid by the developer to the City for the fire.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fire-settlement-20170606-story.html

Canada had a similar situation, but I don't have the links.  This certainly brought awareness and the destruction of properties not connected to the actual site was amazing to say the least.

The arsonist got life, the developer lost over a hundred million.

Greg

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 12, 2017

I think some people have used something like a Videofied system with pretty good success for construction sites.  You'll need the base unit installed in something like a construction trailer with some form of power and communication pathway, and the cameras are battery powered.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Oct 12, 2017

We currently do a perimeter Optex laser. We tried smoke detection but the drywall dust etc, clogs them up. Maybe a heat rise detector is the answer.  Avigilon analytics, Axis or Hik low light cameras in a mounted aluminum box with battery backup and Ubiquiti AC wireless back to Milestone server. We put power around the perimeter. Wood construction makes a difference because of the arson component, quite a bit more to insure. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 12, 2017

I think the original post was focused on surveillance rather than intrusion and fire detection.  But a Videofied system appears to address intrusion by capturing video and sending an alert to a central station.  An arsonist would be an intruder as well, so this should work in that scenario too.  I've never used their system, so the original poster should do their own research.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions