Subscriber Discussion

Sony IMX290 Vs. IMX291 2MP Sensors What's The Difference?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Nov 29, 2017

Both IMX290 and IMX291 are Sony 2MP low light imaging sensors of same size of 1/2.8. Sony semiconductor website has specs for the IMX sensors and reading them the only difference I see between IMX290 and IMX291 is BOL-HDR in IMX290.

The spec sheet says BOL-HDR has improved picture quality under low illumination. If that's true, why then make a IMX291. There has to be something else that makes it's existence worthwhile.

I see cameras with both sensors. Dashcams seem to use IMX291.

Anyone know what's the difference between IMX290 vs. IMX291? Why choose one over the other?

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 29, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The spec sheet says BOL-HDR has improved picture quality under low illumination. If that's true, why then make a IMX291. There has to be something else that makes it's existence worthwhile.

Well, do they charge more for one than the other?

Perhaps only certain batches yield the required density to perform DOL-HDR.

Lynn Harold
Nov 29, 2017

I found this - The IMX290LQR supports both multiple exposure and DOL-type WDR functions. (The IMX291LQR supports only the multiple exposure-type WDR function.)

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Nov 29, 2017

I saw that also .... makes me think that IMX290LQR is the better one.

I hope the accompanying camera SoC firmware allow one to choose one method of WDR over the other.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions